Internet Explorer 8 ?!

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Semi_Deus

Internet Explorer 8 ?!

Post by Semi_Deus »

Yes, Internet Explorer 8.
As Windows needs to keep up with its opponents they thought they take it to the next level.
Read more here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... nstall.htm
and here:
http://www.apcmag.com/8395/ie8_beta_1_t ... nshot_tour

But is it as good as it should be?
Seems nothing like it:
http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/4/3 ... f69498.jpg
http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/4/3 ... 0d4c64.jpg
jalaln

Re: Internet Explorer 8 ?!

Post by jalaln »

I have a feeling that this:
fadfadf.PNG
fadfadf.PNG (1.12 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
is the only new "feature" in IE8. :lol: :lol:
No more spambots for phpBB2 and phpBB3.
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

It does pass the Acid 2 test, here's some more info from the devs: http://qik.com/video/32353

I noticed some bugs which B1 inherited from IE7, but it's still beta. I have the impression they're finally trying to do their best, I'm just hoping that's good enough. By the way, it's Opera's lawsuit that made IE switch to Standards Mode by default.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

I scanned the information in the link and it seems Microsoft have screwed up like they always do. I don't see how the new rendering engine is closer to standards if it can't render google maps in any viewable form.
Quillz
Name: Joseph

Post by Quillz »

Why are people already expecting IE8 to be working perfectly? It's a beta.
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

People don't expect it to work perfectly but they want it to. Enough is enough!
Stay Cool!
Quillz
Name: Joseph

Post by Quillz »

jaunty_mellifluous wrote:People don't expect it to work perfectly but they want it to. Enough is enough!
That's why beta software is offered at your own risk. Also, this isn't even a beta release targeted at the general audience yet. Wait for the real beta, and then complain.
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

IE8 B1 is week-old news, but i must say that it serves me well with my internet browsing. i dont do google-maps or anything like that, mainly just browsing phpbb and my site. :D ;)
Mike Barlow

Post by Mike Barlow »

It seems that MS is finally intending to do something right with IE. I've been using Firefox for about 5 years, but IE conforming to standards will definitely help its longevity (as it seems more users are switching to Firefox these days). Until bookmarks are no longer saved as individual files however, I'm still not even close to switching.

-Barlow
Michael Barlow
"Remember, bubble gum may double as an adhesive, but adhesives do not double as bubble gum."

http://zenlair.net
Semi_Deus

Post by Semi_Deus »

Quillz wrote:Why are people already expecting IE8 to be working perfectly? It's a beta.
Indeed it is, but when they released it, it wasn't even close to being a beta. It could only load the most simplistic html sites. So now they already gave it a bad name by releasing it too early.
mdvaldosta

Post by mdvaldosta »

Hope it's better than IE7, which crashes frequently on 2 computers I own.
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

I use FF now and will still be using it over 10 years. No matter how great IE will be..

Mainly because it does what it needs to do, and if you want more then you can download add ons for free. Also no problems
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Rotsblok wrote:I use FF now and will still be using it over 10 years. No matter how great IE will be..

Mainly because it does what it needs to do, and if you want more then you can download add ons for free. Also no problems
That's a relatively naive statement in an ever-changing technological world. ;) While I certainly don't plan on using IE in the future, I won't rule out the possibility. Who knows what might happen with the internet 5 or 10 years from now. Firefox could become the piece of junk, which is unlikely due to forking ability, but it's still a possibility. Locking yourself into one program is not a good idea, which is why I like to keep myself proficient in multiple programs, whether proprietary or open source.

The coding scheme really doesn't matter to me (though OSS is preferred). I use products that are good products. Plain an simple. Should IE become the best browser out there 5 years from now, I'll be using it.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Semi_Deus

Post by Semi_Deus »

That is indeed true. Although if this is what they have come up with I will stick to Firefox for a long time too.
But who knows huh? Maybe this is a real early béta and they are developing hard on it, maybe it will get better, but they just did not give us a good insight on what it was, so we were disappointed. Since it clearly is not finished yet, by far.
simvader

Post by simvader »

Semi_Deus wrote:That is indeed true. Although if this is what they have come up with I will stick to Firefox for a long time too.
But who knows huh? Maybe this is a real early béta and they are developing hard on it, maybe it will get better, but they just did not give us a good insight on what it was, so we were disappointed. Since it clearly is not finished yet, by far.
Yeah, Its finished when its finished!
Hope its beter, ofcourse,

Return to “General Discussion”