phpBB 3.0 - Deactivate User but Keep in User List

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
ThePowersThatBe

phpBB 3.0 - Deactivate User but Keep in User List

Post by ThePowersThatBe »

A couple of members on a 3.0 board have passed away. I deactivated their accounts so nobody tries to PM them. There was also one moderator and one admin account, and I didn't want to leave those accounts active. However, I just noticed that this removes them from the front end user list. These accounts would be near the top when sorted by date joined or by posts. Is there a way to leave the accounts deactivated but still have them appear on the user list?
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: phpBB 3.0 - Deactivate User but Keep in User List

Post by JimA »

Doing this while the accounts are inactive is hard, but I might have an alternative solution for you here. :)

You could re-activate the accounts and then manually change their user preferences in the ACP. Go to the Manage Users module there and choose "Preferences" in the drop-down after typing in their username. There, you can set the option "Allow users to send you private messages" to No.

As a side note, support for phpBB 3.0 has been dropped a while ago, meaning that no more support and security updates for it are provided here. Have you considered upgrading to a more recent version?
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
ThePowersThatBe

Post by ThePowersThatBe »

Thanks for the reply Jim! I think that is the route I will go. I still want other members to be able to view their profiles and search their posts, I just didn't want anybody to PM them expecting a response or risk somebody else getting a hold of their account information (I could always change the passwords to prevent that).

Yes, I am working on a 3.2 site. The site is heavily customized and some of the major features were not initially supported by extensions in 3.1+. I was able to get a similar site upgraded and I'm still working on this one.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

ThePowersThatBe wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 pm I still want other members to be able to view their profiles and search their posts, I just didn't want anybody to PM them expecting a response or risk somebody else getting a hold of their account information (I could always change the passwords to prevent that).
That's exactly what this method brings, so this sounds like the best way to go for you then.

If there's anything where we can provide support in getting your board ready for the upgrade, please let us know in the support forums and we'll gladly assist. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”