Is it worth upgrading from 3.0.12

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Selective

Re: Is it worth upgrading from 3.0.12

Post by Selective » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 am

time-lord wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 am
I admin a forum which has been stable for the last 3+ years on the above version of phpBB. Is it worthwhile upgrading to newer software?
I have both 3.0.12 and 3.2.1 at the moment.

I suggest you do what I did. Leave 3.0.12 exactly as it is, it doesn't need to be updated.

Then add a second forum that is 3.2.x and have that on the side.

The mods I had for 3.0.12 were updated to extensions for 3.2.x so I was able to still have them. Just had to download and install newer versions of them, and they look way better, and function better also, and very easy to install.

However, I recently found a bug in 3.2.x and while reporting that bug, seems like there are many bugs in it that people are reporting. At the moment, the bug I found is preventing me from using 3.2.x so I would highly suggest you don't update 3.0.12 at all. You can however add a second forum though, and keep the two forums separate.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 am

Selective wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 am
However, I recently found a bug in 3.2.x and while reporting that bug, seems like there are many bugs in it that people are reporting. At the moment, the bug I found is preventing me from using 3.2.x so I would highly suggest you don't update 3.0.12 at all. You can however add a second forum though, and keep the two forums separate.
Let's not kid ourselves, there are bugs in 3.0.12, some of them kind of nasty, none of which will ever get (officially) fixed. You'd just have to learn to live with them or just mod around them. ;) Then there's that pesky PHP 7.x compatibility problem with 3.0.12... bottom line is if the OP is planning to use PHP 7 or is being forced into using that version of PHP then staying in the 3.0.x line isn't really a choice, unless you really want to hack the life out of it to get it to work.

On the other hand the bug you've reported already has a fix which will be in 3.2.3, something that wouldn't happen with 3.0 at this time.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am

Selective wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 am
I suggest you do what I did. Leave 3.0.12 exactly as it is, it doesn't need to be updated.
At least update to 3.0.14. Some bugs still remain but at least some are fixed (AFAIK no security bugs whave been found in 3.0.14 yet. I may be wrong though).
DavidIQ wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 am
Then there's that pesky PHP 7.x compatibility problem with 3.0.12... bottom line is if the OP is planning to use PHP 7 or is being forced into using that version of PHP then staying in the 3.0.x line isn't really a choice, unless you really want to hack the life out of it to get it to work.
The pesky PHP 7.x compatibility is something I'm worried about for 3.3. in php 7 the "mbstring output ..." is deprecated (even in 5.6 IIRC) and many hosts already refuse to allow it. My guess is that this will be blocked completely sooner rather than later and since phpBB 3.3 will require PHP version at least 7, upgrading won't be easy for many. In fact I can't use PHP7 on one of my hosts because of the deprecated situation, something which suprises me since they do have one click installation for phpBB3.2.1 (BTW I always the phpBB files from here, never the host version)
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm

warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am
The pesky PHP 7.x compatibility is something I'm worried about for 3.3. in php 7 the "mbstring output ..." is deprecated (even in 5.6 IIRC) and many hosts already refuse to allow it. My guess is that this will be blocked completely sooner rather than later and since phpBB 3.3 will require PHP version at least 7, upgrading won't be easy for many. In fact I can't use PHP7 on one of my hosts because of the deprecated situation, something which suprises me since they do have one click installation for phpBB3.2.1 (BTW I always the phpBB files from here, never the host version)
:?:
phpBB 3.2.2 Release - Please Update wrote:In addition to that, PHP 7.2 is now supported by phpBB 3.2. Please ensure that your extensions are compatible before upgrading.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm
warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am
:?:
phpBB 3.2.2 Release - Please Update wrote:In addition to that, PHP 7.2 is now supported by phpBB 3.2. Please ensure that your extensions are compatible before upgrading.
I know that phpBB 3.2.1 and higher work with PHP 7 and higher. I have tested it thoroughly on localhost since April. The fact that I only upgraded end of last year was due to not being able to install phpBB on my host because installation stopped at the requirements check: specifically at the mbstring output set to no (also with php5.6).
I have tried a couple of free temporary testaccounts with various hosts and found that some enabled the mbstring output, and some disabled it.
My question was specifically about phpBB 3.3 which (I thought I had read that somewhere) will require PHP 7.
However, I'll immediately admit that I misread the announcement in relation to phpBB 3.2 and incorrectly thought that PHP 7 was a requirement so I'm not excluding that I 'm still fixated on that and did not realise that PHP 7.2 will be supported by phpBB3.3. If that wording is correct then phpBB 3.3 can still be used with a lower version of PHP but it doesn't remove the constraint that mbstring output (and input) is depecrated as of PHP 5.6 (I think, again I don't trust my memory at this stage). This implies that phpBB cannot be installed on hosts not allowing those deprecated functions.
My concern is then that if phpBB continues to require mbstring input and output to be set to TRUE, I foresee a decline in the use of phpBB since many hosts don't and won't allow use of the deprecated functions.

edited: damn those spelling mistakes and mixed up phrases :cry:
Last edited by warmweer on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:26 pm

You mean this: http://php.net/manual/en/mbstring.confi ... http-input ?
As far as I read the code, those error are send in ACP only when
  • the php-extension MBSTRING is loaded
    and
  • http_input or http_output are read with values other than "pass" or empty string
See: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/mas ... #L669-L678 and https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/mas ... ml#L53-L81

But maybe when minimum requirements change to 7.x (or even when a 5.6 or 7.x php version is detected in acp), it would be better to check for default_charset
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:26 pm
You mean this: http://php.net/manual/en/mbstring.confi ... http-input ?
Yes, that's the issue. (BTW thanks for the links)
I wanted to test phpBB3.2 on PHP 7 and couldn't finalise installation because during the requirement tests, the continue button was unclickable and the mbstring boxes were red: showing which requirements weren't met. On localhost I managed to enable the mbstring and then installation succeeded. On my host, I couldn't install phpBB3.2 with PHP 7 and couldn't set mbstring ... to TRUE, nor use an additional php.ini. Same thing with PHP5.6.
But since phpBB3.2 still functions with PHP5.5 I can live with that.

Should phpBB 3.3 require minimum PHP7, then I've got a problem (unless... see next sentences).
The github pages you linked to seem to imply that during the functioning of phpBB3 the mbstring configuration situation is taken care of (taking into account that I'm not fluent enough in PHP to put any money on that statement). If I understand the script correctly, it also seems that this has been taken care of for the install process.
canonknipser wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:26 pm
But maybe when minimum requirements change to 7.x (or even when a 5.6 or 7.x php version is detected in acp), it would be better to check for default_charset
If I am correct in my intrepretation of that sentence, this isn't present in phpBB3.2.1 (and earlier), (haven't tried phpBB3.2.2 yet), I wouldn't mind it being "added" in the next minor version (of the one after that if 3.2.3 is too near to release). BTW PHP5.5 is apparently only active on my host specifically for older sites and is not an option anymore for new accounts.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am

warmweer wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 pm
, I wouldn't mind it being "added" in the next minor version (of the one after that if 3.2.3 is too near to release).
I would consider to open a bug report in the tracker and give a hint to this discussion, because the developers can miss this topic
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:12 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am
warmweer wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 pm
, I wouldn't mind it being "added" in the next minor version (of the one after that if 3.2.3 is too near to release).
I would consider to open a bug report in the tracker and give a hint to this discussion, because the developers can miss this topic
I'll do that after I check everything again (currently cleaning up my HD, apparently I have 3 directories with lots of backups of various version (+ other forums) but my classification system has failed me so I need to go through about 10 GB of files and installations before I'm totally lost - probably too late for that :oops: ).

Return to “phpBB Discussion”