Why oh why

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Why oh why

Post by 3Di »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 pm
everyone, I'm sure, remembers the Yugo.
Lol :lol: excellent point.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/he ... ade-259789
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Looking for a specific feature or alternative option?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

PlanetStyles.net wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:24 am
The problem you'll find with freebies (which absolutely includes all submissions on phpBB.com) is longevity. This is evidenced by the number of contributions that start in the 'x in development' forums but don't make it to the CDB. Or, validated contributions where the developer doesn't provide support.
I don't really want to get into a discussion about free or paid extensions or styles but what you call a problem, to me is not a problem but an inherent part of life in general, whether it's a free gift or something that needs paying for.

The free gifts are a gift and and as such everyone's free to take it or leave it. Support isn't a lifelong requirement IMHO, certainly not when it's free and even paid lifetime warranty is ridiculous to expect. I doubt you're still offering support for 3.1 styles, free or paid - or even 3.0 styles (no idea whether you made those).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

PlanetStyles.net wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:58 am
I would be interested to hear your perspective on why you feel freebies are a better offering than premium - particularly as you appear to sell at least one premium extension through studio.
"freebies" offered by phpBB . com are better because are validated. Ooops. :P

There is no one that can say that The Studio has not honoured its reputation till now, do you?

Because I know that the validation process and its rules are a slow but necessary evil, do you? AKA I know phpBB.

Because I know PHP etc. coding (without it your styles would never be there) and all related including styling, not really a JS wizard but I will improve my skills, do you?

Not to mention that I do actively contribute to the phpBB core code with 182 commits and counting, do you?
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/commits?author=3D-I

Oops, never seen you there at
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/graphs/contributors

Facts VS propaganda and the first are for free, do you?
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
You should be adding hooks to your "professional" theme as they are added by phpBB. This is easily determined by visiting the event list of phpBB instead of relying on users to notify you of a missing hook...which, I would imagine, happens if an extension author gets a support topic opened stating the extension isn't showing up, for example, on the index page of a users forum. Invariably it would be due to a missing hook in the style.
Correct. New template events are added as and when the phpBB team introduce them with version updates. Obviously I can't speak for other style authors, but a lot of refactoring goes into converting prosilver into something worthy of being a paid product. Occasionally template events fall through the cracks, or in one case one was duplicated which briefly caused all manner of JS conflicts. Although, this is not a problem exclusive to premium products - the .com customisation team can probably attest to how many styles are declined for missing or incorrectly placed template events.

I don't think there's any shame in admitting this can happen and setting reasonable expectations for customers. When issues relating to template events occur they're patched within an hour of receiving the report, which is usually no longer 12 hours after the customer submitted it.

When real $ is involved, Authors are subject to legal obligations such as making sure the item actually works as described, or the money gets charged back. This creates a sense of urgency to fix bugs quickly and correctly. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not convinced there is always the same sense of urgency or responsibility with freebies.
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Missing RTL isn't something I'm personally negatively affected by but that should definetly be stated quite plainly at the top of the themeforest download for the style instead of buried at the bottom of the page otherwise it seems a bit misleading as it could be assumed that the style supports RTL.
It's nobody's intention to mislead or deceive here. For example, we don't use RTL language packs in product mockups, the live demos, or make any indication that RTL is supported at all. I am happy to refund (and have refunded) any customer who bought a product assuming it was RTL compatible and missed the item description, even after the theme has been downloaded.
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Apparently not even "professional/paid" things are completely without fault so the statement that they are is without merit.
I don't recall saying this. I said they were generally superior in terms of feature set, asethetics, updates and support - which is something I stand by. Never said paid / premium was faultless.
RMcGirr83 wrote:
...everyone, I'm sure, remembers the Yugo.
I don't know who or what that is.
Last edited by PlanetStyles.net on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

3Di wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Not to mention that I do actively contribute to the phpBB core code with 182 commits and counting, do you?
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/commits?author=3D-I

Oops, never seen you there at
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/graphs/contributors
How is this relevant to the free (.com) vs. paid discussion that is currently happening?

If you have some kind of personal beef, please feel free to PM me :)
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

PlanetStyles.net wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:53 pm
How is this relevant to the free (.com) vs. paid discussion that is currently happening?
Going back you can see I mentioned your post as propaganda, still I stand by.
Your styles are not validated (the premium ones) so please do not continue discussing the obvious.

I simply stated I know (and here goes the list of reasons as per above) that is better to use/deploy just validated styles/extensions from here.

There have been a lot of topics about your styles here due to the lack of assistance, I don't think you are in the right position to go on and on.

I do not have anything against you, I won't PM you, I do not care about you (who are you? Cristian 1.0, 2.0, planet? Oh, I lost the count)
... hope is all clear now. If you post something here I can or can not reply, that's my right.
It depends on what you said and perhaps I do not agree and I will tell you. Same applies if I agree, that's up to me, my choice.

That's what I am doing, ok?
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

3Di wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm
Your styles are not validated (the premium ones) so please do not continue discussing the obvious.
Yes, they are. All submissions on the envato marketplaces (ThemeForest, CodeCanyon etc) are validated by their own internal review teams. These are professional developers hired by envato to verify that items work as described and are free from security vulnerabilities or other malicious code. It is not a free-for-all platform. You can find more information about the validation process here: https://help.author.envato.com/hc/en-us ... an-Author-

3Di wrote:
There have been a lot of topics about your styles here due to the lack of assistance, I don't think you are in the right position to go on and on.
I dispute that quite strongly. Every customer receives a personal reply within 12 hours, regardless of the day of week. To re-iterate an earlier point, I don't think freebie authors have a motivation to reply this quickly. If they don't receive a personal reply, it's because they didn't contact us.

I would be interested to see examples where planetstyles customers (or any other premium theme developer) have come here specifically because they didn't receive a reply from us.
3Di wrote:
I do not have anything against you, I won't PM you, I do not care about you (who are you? Cristian 1.0, 2.0, planet? Oh, I lost the count)
Thank you for the opportunity to remind you. I am Christian, posting on behalf of my business which is PlanetStyles.net. Back in February 2018 I approached you to create a custom extension. We agreed on a brief and a price, but as we were going to re-distribute the code (something which was transparent in the brief), we needed a contract that agreed to you surrendering the copyright to us. As I'm not a PHP developer, I also needed the contract to hold you accountable if there were any security vulnerabilities in the code you code. This is not an unreasonable expectation, and something we asked you to factor into the price.

You didn't agree to these terms, so we thanked you for your time and worked with another recognised extension developer instead (who has been outstanding)

Initially you were amicable, but then followed up 8 hours later with a salty email saying that:
  • I shouldn't have requested a contract at all (despite us doing a b2b transaction worth hundreds of euro)
  • You said I should 'stick to styling' as my main job
  • You claimed that as the developer, you shouldn't be accountable for security vulnerabilities in your own code, because (quote): "I don't want to be involved in tricky situations of any sort. I need to rest in peace like you, do you reckon? :)"
  • You said the price was an 'offensive', even though it was you who gave us the quote :lol:
So, the impression I'm getting is that you have some negative feelings left over from this exchange which are influencing your replies here. It would seem you have a problem with me making money from offering premium phpBB products.

You should try it, people are willing to pay for stock extensions if it's better than the free alternatives - as evidenced by the sidebar extension I sell.

You do good work and make good extensions. You would be very successful.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

PlanetStyles.net wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm
Yes, they are. All submissions on the envato marketplaces (ThemeForest, CodeCanyon etc) are validated by their own internal review teams
So what? Who cares? Here you are at phpBB DOT com, dude. ;)
Only validated extensions/styles should be used, if you take it elsewhere just talk to your coder. This is not your business' office. ;)

Take your toys and play with them, do not use us who daily support (actually) the users to solve the issues you all made, over there. Oh, all the rest is just rose-talk. I am proud to be a very man of the world. :)

And sorry for your "sidebar" extension I had the opportunity to watch its code, try and submit it here. :P

P.S.:
the difference is I have a own successful live and what I do it is for free here, paid if I want and at the price I want, nothing otherwise. ;)
Can you? LOL I knew this topic is dangerous somehow ahahha.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

PlanetStyles.net wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm
Thank you for the opportunity to remind you. I am Christian
viewtopic.php?f=6&p=15501541 ;)
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

The back and forth rude comments have now steered this topic off-course. Since it's serving no other purpose, it's getting closed.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”