Why Does This Weird Message Show Up

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
man_o_man

Why Does This Weird Message Show Up

Post by man_o_man »

Whenever I share my board posts on social media, like Facebook, the posts always show this weird message

"You Cannot Post New Topics in this forumYou cannot reply to topics in this forumYou cannot edit your posts in this forumYou cannot delete your posts in this forum.

This message that automatically accompanies my posts when I share them on facebook will certainly scare the heck out of any readers from joining my board. What causes this message to appear and how do I get rid of it or edit it?
david63

Re: Why Does This Weird Message Show Up

Post by david63 »

How do you "share posts on social media"? What code/extension are you using?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

I just copy the url of my post on my board, and share (post) it on Facebook. I have no idea as to which code extension is being used, so how do I determine that? This message has shown up from the very beginning that I started using my board

I use Share On to share topics, but for forums, I just copy and paste the URL of the post on FB because ShareOn works only on topics but not forums
Last edited by man_o_man on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssl
Name: Fred

Post by ssl »

Hi
Are the forums that these shares come from available to guests?
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Do you have any extensions installed. I just tried it with this topic and it seems to work just fine.
Capture.PNG
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

here is a list of all installed extensions

oops, having difficulty posting the screenshot of a list of all installed extensions here

And yes, I have many extensions installed, but I can't disable them one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem because I had to hire a freelancer to install all of them since I might have difficulty installing or re-installing the extensions

by the way, my board is at https://www.buzzie.info
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

I just posted one of your topic from your forum on fb w/o issue. How exactly you are trying to share your topics?
(20+) Facebook www.facebook.com 7276e33bed8b.png
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.2.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

*** HELP *** HELP *** HELP *** HELP *** HELP *** HELP***

Here is a post that I just shared from my board to damned Facebook, and as you all can see, the weird message still shows up, Does this problem come from the theme, or does it come from an extension, does anyone know or can anyone tell?

I" just received a notification from Facebook, that they, meaning Facebook, deleted my FB group U.S. Midwest Animal Welfare Network for violating community standards. There was no information whatsoever exactly which FB community standards we violated, and they simply deleted the group without notice, without any warning, without any real clarification or information. SOBs.

Below is a list of extensions on my board

EXTENSION NAME CURRENT VERSION OPTIONS ACTIONS
Enabled Extensions
Advertisement Management 2.0.3 Details Disable
Amazon Affiliate 1.1.0 Details Disable
Auto Groups 2.0.3 Details Disable
Board Rules 2.1.2 Details Disable
Category Background Image 1.0.1 Details Disable
cBB Editor 1.0.0 Details Configure | Disable
Collapsible Forum Categories 2.0.0 Details Disable
Cron Status 3.1.3-dev Details Disable
Feed post bot 1.0.11 Details Disable
First post on every page 2.0.2 Details Disable
Google Analytics 1.0.5 Details Disable
Google Search 3.2.4 Details Disable
Imgur 1.3.1 Details Disable
List subforums in columns 2.1.0 Details Disable
Pages 2.0.4 Details Disable
phpBB Media Embed PlugIn 1.1.1 Details Disable
phpBB Topic Prefixes 1.0.0 Details Disable
Ravaio Configuration 2.3.2 Details Disable
Share On 2.0.1 Details Disable
Disabled Extensions
VigLink 1.0.5 Details Enable | Delete data
Clipboard Image 2.0.1 Details Enable

*** HELP *** HELP *** HELP *** HELP *** HELP *** HELP***
Last edited by kinerity on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam link.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

man_o_man wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 am
There was no information whatsoever exactly which FB community standards we violated
Did you ask what the reason(s) were at FB support?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

Mick wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:01 am
man_o_man wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 am
There was no information whatsoever exactly which FB community standards we violated
Did you ask what the reason(s) were at FB support?
I don't think that question nor any answers to it belong here on this phpBB discussion board. What I need an answer to is why does the weird message "you cannot post, etc." continue to show up Perhaps the real techies here can help figure this out.
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

david63 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:23 am
How do you "share posts on social media"? What code/extension are you using?
Sometimes I just copy the URL link from my board and paste it on FB, and other times I use the Share On extension.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

man_o_man wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 am
Mick wrote:Did you ask what the reason(s) were at FB support?
I don't think that question nor any answers to it belong here...
Except that Facebook is the one choosing what to show, on Facebook, simply in response to your having provided a link to the site. And Facebook would be the ones who could say exactly why they chose to show this section of the page, rather than some other element off the page of the site you linked.

Given the text that is appearing, presumably this only happens when linking to a forum rather than a post? e.g. Presumably https://www.buzzie.info/viewforum.php?f=170 is what you were linking to for the specific example you showed, even though you didn't include that confirmation.

The fact that — out of all the information shown on your site — Facebook chose to show specifically this block of forum permissions seems unusual. That's not any kind of "outstanding feature" of the page, nor an unusually-tagged section of the page. About the only thing unique in that block is that it's one of the few places <strong> text has been used in the HTML of the page. That's my only guess for why Facebook resorted to choosing to display this particular section.

I'm not a Facebook user, and I have no experience with seeing or resolving this display. But my guess is that Facebook, too, is "making a guess" as what part of your site is important to display here, in absence of there being any explicit hints and or metadata. If that were happening on my site and I wanted to try and resolve it, one thing I would try is adding and configuring https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/seo_metadata.

So that Facebook, as well as many other things, would find much clearer hints about how to describe a page that has been linked to.
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

man_o_man, please don't post asking people to visit your board just to "get information on animal welfare in the midwest". I removed that section from one of your previous posts.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

kinerity wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm
man_o_man, please don't post asking people to visit your board just to "get information on animal welfare in the midwest". I removed that section from one of your previous posts.
Perhaps, but you just removed the only place where anyone could have seen how the actual problem presents itself. i.e. Where the problem text appears which they are seeing when they post a link on Facebook. That text at the end of their invitation was the crux of the problem being described.
man_o_man

Post by man_o_man »

Mannix_ wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:36 am
I just posted one of your topic from your forum on fb w/o issue. How exactly you are trying to share your topics?
(20+) Facebook www.facebook.com 7276e33bed8b.png

I share topics using the Share On extension, and I share forums by just copying and pasting the URL of the post, because Share On only works on topics but not on forums

Return to “phpBB Discussion”