Document Discussion

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Document Discussion

Post by stevemaury »

Yeah, I don't want to be the only one left.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Random American

Post by Random American »

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 pm
stevemaury for Project Manager! :D
Marshalrusty wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:08 pm
I'm not going to put words into Mick's mouth, but I think that what happened was he saw people were getting pissed off and tried to appease everyone by nuking the topic.
I understand. If that's true, it's nowhere near as bad.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 pm
Glutton for punishment. ;)
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

What was the first question?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
P_I

Post by P_I »

Mick wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:20 pm
A: There should be three documentation team members henceforth called ‘the Team’, one to be a team leader.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Random American

Gumboots wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:35 pm
Marshalrusty wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 pm
As far as bringing the topic back, this would require splicing in a database backup, which is too much work to be worthwhile (as much as Paul was jumping at the opportunity to spend a few hours of his life doing it). We do have screenshots, so will post those, and just carry on the discussion from there.
Just putting this back (largely for my own benefit) since it won't work in a screenshot:
https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-tea ... repository
Thanks for that. I might make use of that. :D
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
Random American

Is it possible to restart this discussion from a clean slate or is this something that should be left to die?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Mick wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:20 pm
That depends.
In the deleted topic the first question was :
Why only three? by Random American
The answer to this would be: because 3's already a crowd :P (the nonsensical answer)

In this topic the first question is in the opening post by david63
david63 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 am
Can I ask what has happened to this discussion?
and the answer would be : Yes (the strict answer)

The real question is:
Random American wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:31 pm
Is it possible to restart this discussion from a clean slate or is this something that should be left to die?
... trying to give a constructive answer now ...
I'ld say it's possible if only to investigate whether a project like this is feasible without an "official" Team (or subTeam).
Who is willing to spend (a lot of) time reading through a ton of documents, rewriting a lot of text, creating images for inclusion, discussing and reacting to criticism (in a positive way) and all within a set timeframe? Who has the time to spare?
A "teamleader" is necessary, a workflow has to be defined, a timeframe has to be defined (an objectively realistic timeframe).
Anyone with experience here?

Added:

as david63 (I think it was david) pointed out: the original topic can still be found using Google cache and I'm going to save the pages as html (printscreen are a pain) (pages 1,2 and 4 found, still looking for page 3) (damn, pages aren't complete)
Last edited by warmweer on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Random American

warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:44 pm
I'ld say it's possible if only to investigate whether a project like this is feasible without an "official" Team (or subTeam).
Who is willing to spend (a lot of) time reading through a ton of documents, rewriting a lot of text, creating images for inclusion, discussing and reacting to criticism (in a positive way) and all within a set timeframe? Who has the time to spare?
A "teamleader" is necessary, a workflow has to be defined, a timeframe has to be defined (an objectively realistic timeframe).
Anyone with experience here?
Indeed, let's get the ball rolling first, and you're right, this doesn't need to be "official." I think I will have time to spare in the next few weeks, but the main problem with me would probably be the fact that I'm inexperienced. We should also link all the documents that should be looked through here in this topic. Thanks to Marshalrusty I know of this: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/ but there was a link to github documents in the previous topic that I don't know where to find.

Edit: Nevermind on that latter sentence. I found the downwards arrow I was looking for to look at the cached pages.
P_I

Post by P_I »

Courtesy of Google's cache
Marshalrusty wrote:Among the folks participating in this topic, how many of you have contributed to the documentation personally? How many of you looked for it after I mentioned that it was plainly available in an opensource repository, found something you wanted to fix, and then submitted a pull request with some good changes? If not you — who have already demonstrated enough interest in the subject matter to share your opinion in this topic — then who?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Random American

P_I wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:11 pm
Courtesy of Google's cache
Marshalrusty wrote:Among the folks participating in this topic, how many of you have contributed to the documentation personally? How many of you looked for it after I mentioned that it was plainly available in an opensource repository, found something you wanted to fix, and then submitted a pull request with some good changes? If not you — who have already demonstrated enough interest in the subject matter to share your opinion in this topic — then who?
Thanks. I appreciate it. I was looking in the various catched pages after I figured out how to do it, but you found it faster than I did.
-------------------------------------------

Anyway, this link contains the old OP so we still have a good sense of what originally kicked off this discussion.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... efox-b-1-d
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

cache saved

Page 1 - 13 posts
Page 2 - 15 posts = complete
Page 3 - 11 posts
Page 4 - 12 posts
Page 5 - 5 posts

Is there anyone who can find or has the complete pages 1 and 3, no idea about page 4 (and was there a page 5?)

Edited: to include links
2nd Edit: found page 5
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”