Discuss: phpBB 3.3.2 Release

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Random American

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.3.2 Release

Post by Random American »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:15 am
I second this. I most certainly wouldn't notice and even if I do notice, I wouldn't care that much. I'm not going to care if there is a difference in spelling between "colour" and "color," or "centre" and "center." I understand both and that this is an international piece of software, rather than an American one, and I'm not one to jump through hoops for such a minor change.
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
bubbathegimp
Name: Bubba

Post by bubbathegimp »

It's kinda surprising that U.S. english has drifted so far from Mother England,
that it has to be treated as a second language, But I digress...
If at first you don't succeed, Sky diving is not for you....
Ymmv
david63

Post by david63 »

Lady_G wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:35 am
Noticed after the update, the American English language pack has not been updated for 3.3.2.
I would ask the question - why are you updating when everything that you need for your board is not available?

A board should not, in my opinion, be updated/upgraded until all files, extensions, styles and language packs are compatible.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

bubbathegimp wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:50 am
It's kinda surprising that U.S. english has drifted so far from Mother England,
that it has to be treated as a second language, But I digress...
It doesn't surprise me at all.
I'm Belgian (Flemish) and a dutch speaker. But there are difference in the way Belgians and Dutch express certain things (vocabulary and sentence construction >>> Paul and I hardly understand each other :mrgreen: unless we use English ).
In the 3.0 days there were 3 Dutch language packs (Dutch formal honorifics, Dutch informal, and Dutch (Flemish).
Actually there were also seperate language packs (Portugese) for Portugal and Brazil, also Spanish (Spain - Latin America).

I'm surprised there isn't a sign language pack yet ;)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 am
It doesn't surprise me at all.
Nor me, there are many distinct English accents and colloquialisms in the UK, many unintelligible by people outside their area. I note Scots, Welsh, Irish, Geordie, Brummie, Cornish, Cockney and the list goes on so ‘US English’ isn’t on its own with it’s diversification path except that in the UK we don’t redo the spelling.
warmweer wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:34 am
I'm surprised there isn't a sign language pack yet
Fanakalo (or Fanagalo) would be better.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:34 am
Lady_G wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:35 am
Noticed after the update, the American English language pack has not been updated for 3.3.2.
I would ask the question - why are you updating when everything that you need for your board is not available?

A board should not, in my opinion, be updated/upgraded until all files, extensions, styles and language packs are compatible.
I agree. In this case, I simply did not notice that the language pack was not verified for 3.3.2 until after I had released my update on the production server. It was a mistake on my part.

Using the 3.3.1 to 3.3.2 Code Changes, I have updated the language/en_us/ files. I might also note there is one new file (report_pm_closed.txt).

I don't know what would happen if the file itself is missing (vs. a missing variable), so it's important to match the British English language pack file structure exactly.
P_I

Post by P_I »

david63 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:34 am
The challenge here is the release announcement indicates there are security fix(es) involved.
Marc wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:55 pm
This version is a maintenance and security release of the 3.3.x branch which fixes one security issue, introduces further hardening, and resolves various issues reported in previous versions.

Previous versions of phpBB starting with 3.2.0 adjusted the way formatting was removed in the strip BBCode function. If this function was used in extensions it could potentially lead to HTML entities being decoded and encoded unexpectedly and therefore result in reflected XSS. We’d like to thank n0bodysec for responsibly disclosing this to us.
So there is a catch-22, update to maintain security of the software or wait until all the necessary extensions/styles/language packs catch up.

For the websites that I operate our standard operating procedure (SOP) is to move forward as quickly as practical when a software update containing security fixes becomes available. If the exploit is divulged then there is a potential for a bad-actor to attempt to exploit it.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Random American

Post by Random American »

Look, I did update, but what would have likely happened if I didn't? Do you think I would have encountered problems or something?
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Been putting off the update from phpBB 3.2.8 and PHP 7.2.x for too long. Finally phpBB 3.3.2 and PHP 7.4.11. So all my phpBB 3.3.x observations can finally go from "theoretical XAMPP" to "production site". 😜
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Same here, except I was on 3.2.9 and am still working on the upgrade. And I used to be such a stickler for instantly updating stuff. Must be getting lazier in my old age. My host understandably wants to ditch PHP 7.2 soon, which is a good incentive for me. :D
Wert
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Aguilar

Post by Wert »

Clean upgrade here from full package using the standard procedure (and updating db via command line/putty).

No obvious issues.
Chris Aguilar - AKA "Wert"
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Support question split off

Return to “phpBB Discussion”