phpBB with Joomla vs Wordpress vs Other

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Livistos

phpBB with Joomla vs Wordpress vs Other

Post by Livistos »

I've maintained several phpBB forums (including a phpBB 3.0 forum right now), but nothing that integrated with anything else. I'd like to install a phpBB solution that is integrated with some kind front end CMS or blogging software. I wanted to ask for advice on the pro's and cons of using Joomla vs Wordpress vs Some other CMS / Authoring solution. I'm asking about Joomla and Wordpress specifically because I know they are supported well by Dreamhost of which I'm a long standing customer.

Here what I've found so far, but please correct my facts if they are off.

- Joomla seems to have a STEEP learning curve.
- Once setup, Joomla seems to have more power.
- Joomla feels too complex.
- Wordpress feels too simple.
- Wordpress seems to be simpler and I have experience extending wordpress and installing plugins.
- Wordpress seems to have good built in "marketing" type features (auto-pinging of blog stuff, Digg integration, etc)
- Wordpress seems to have more crazy plugins that are easy to install.

Maybe I've talked myself into Wordpress. I dunno any advice would be appreciated. I am planning on making potentially a VERY VERY large site that could pull in several thousands of visitors a day.

Charles L. Cotton

Re: phpBB with Joomla vs Wordpress vs Other

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I am running two phpBB boards, one blog using WordPress and three websites using Joomla. Joomla is fantastic! If I had found it before setting up the WordPress site, I would have used it for the blog also, but I doubt I'll change that now.

I agree that the learning curve for Joomla is pretty steep, but it is not at all intuitive. To complicate matters, there is little documentation beyond the installation manual. That said, the support group on their forum (phpBB Ver. 3.0.x) is pretty good (not as good as here on phpBB) and I had no problem getting up to speed quickly. There is a documentation group that is working on a manual for Joomla 1.5, but I don't know when that will be out.

The sites I run are links removed>>>>Jim and a few more. I hope this helps.

Chas.
Last edited by Jim_UK on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed - same as in signature.

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Actually, I just picked up an excellent book on Joomla to make you familiar with the basics:
http://www.amazon.com/Joomla-Users-Guid ... 014&sr=8-1

There's several others as well, but I happened to stumble upon this one, while I hadn't found any books on Joomla 1.5 in a high-street store yet.

Wordpress, by origin, is a blog tool, which is fine if your site is going to be a blog, mainly. I don't have any experience with it, but I would expect that makes the possibilities of extending it a little limited. Joomla is more like a website framework that comes with CMS features out of the box. But it doesn't stop there, you could get it to do just about anything you might want to do with a website, given there is an extension to do what you need. If you're a programmer yourself, there's very little you couldn't do.

If you are going to do any kind of serious research into this, you should definitely also include Drupal in your studies, it is like "the other" big open source CMS. Last time I checked, integration with phpBB seemed more complicated, but that might have changed.
Last edited by Eelke on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

I feel the same. I used Wordpress for a while and I like how it's simple and to the point. I installed Joomla and it just seems so overwhelming, at least for what I wanted it to do.
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke »

Have you already tried 1.5? It's dropped several of the weird quirks from 1.0.x. With the extra flexibility over Wordpress, obviously there's going to be more complexity. I don't think there is more than it needs, though. There's some good primers on the Joomla forums to get you going. As with any non-trivial system, it helps tremendously to get some info to start you off, instead of having to find out everything yourself.

Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

At the time, which was a month or two ago, I tried to latest version I believe. It's nice but for what I wanted to use it for, offered way too many options.
The box said 'You need Windows XP or better' .... so I installed linux.

Formerly Drugs

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke »

If you just need a blog, it's probably overkill, that's true.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”