Discuss: phpBB 3.0.2 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.0.2 released

Post by Highway of Life » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:43 pm

kyle1745 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions how to handle updates with a custom theme? Any way to get the auto updater to address custom themes?
No.
That is up to the style author. It would be impossible for us to support the dozens upon dozens of custom themes.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Understand and maybe I should have been more specific but both are based on prosilver, with one mainly being a rename with color changes.

The idea I had was to copy the update folder in the auto updater like prosilver>newname. What I am not sure about is does the auto updater automatically account for all folders there or are other changes required?

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Styles other than proSilver and subSilver2 need to be updated manually. It takes about 5 minutes to do -- check the Styles Dev & Discussion forum, there's a sticky posted there regarding the changes.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

kyle1745

Post by kyle1745 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:55 pm

It would be a nice add to the auto updater to allow other themes to be compared to prosilver. I think this would be a simple addition as many themes are based on it and would be easily updated this way.

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:14 pm

install/install_update.php has some experimental code to achive this (you would need to uncomment it - around line 1556) - the problem is to only include those styles derived from prosilver and subsilver2.

angiebaby

I DID IT I DID IT

Post by angiebaby » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:46 pm

thanks to all the guys that helped me in the past 48 hours to get my forum updated to phpbb3 standard

im jumping around the room like a nutter and getting strange looks from my bloke so im going now

thanks and goodbye *bows*
Last edited by stickerboy on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic merged

mcdanielnc89

Post by mcdanielnc89 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 am

Exactly how do i manually update to 3.0.2? I have a heavily modded forum, and don't want to loose the mods.. Do i like go through the update stage, when it asked to merge files, just look and see what's changed/added and do it FTP? I'm confused...

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:23 am

Support questions should be asked in the support forums, as has been mentioned before
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Mr_HaZaRd

Post by Mr_HaZaRd » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:47 am

Very nice, the update was really easy and with no problems :D

Jackanape
Name: Jack Drury

Post by Jackanape » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:59 pm

I want to applaud the DEV team for releasing a MODX version of the code changes for this upgrade--and more importantly, a second, text version!--as it finally puts everything together for we poor saps who like to work under the hood of our boards.

Naturally, I had JUST finished remodding a fresh install of 3.0.1--I couldn't upgrade my 3.0.0 before, without the MODX info--and was moving on to some custom scripts, when 3.0.2 was released. However, It was my pleasure to get to them with the change files.

No worries, and all is in order!

Thanks!
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit
: : Wanna Talk Poker? : : Image : :

vellatechie

Post by vellatechie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:21 pm

ive installed 5 new mods today, modified a new theme with existing mod and what do i see now... a new phpbb update :evil:
i hope auto update works fine :( and there arent to many changes in the template :x

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:27 pm

The update was posted three days ago. ;)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Kate111

Post by Kate111 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:29 am

So if I update to the new version will all my settings, permissions, skin customisations etc. remain the same?

And is it a straightforward update I can do from The ACP or do I have to mess about in my server files?

Thanks in advance for any replies and thanks for everything you do making such an awesome software available for free, I'm wondering though if I might be best waiting for all the bug finds and reports to be fixed as we have a large community on my forum and spent a lot of time customising things so don't want anything to go wrong ;)

Exrace

Post by Exrace » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:47 am

It is always a good plan to wait a few weeks after a release to let the early adopters flush out issues.
I would also suggest having a dev site on a large site like yours so you can test before going live.

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:16 pm

If you wait for others to find issues in a maintenance release, those issues will not be fixed until a next maintenance release. You could be waiting forever. :) Of course, you can wait for a few days to see if there are not major problems with the release and people actually need to roll back in anticipation of a next maintenance release, but with the new QA process for maintenance releases in place, that scenario seems quite unlikely.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”