New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Post Reply
User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29247
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 pm

It has been decided that a single phpBB Discussion forum will be effective in simplifying the overall layout of the site. Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.

I would also like to remind you that support questions should continue to be posted in the version specific support forums. This would include questions about using phpBB features or questions on any encountered errors.

For more information regarding the change, please see the topic in the announcements forum: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1104285

Thank you :)


If you have any questions regarding this change, please ask them here.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
Elias
Registered User
Posts: 4625
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:31 pm
Location: In the Water!
Name: Elias

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by Elias » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:11 pm

I find it a good move that this has turned out to using only 1 discussion forum.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

User avatar
MartectX
Translator
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Marienplatz

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by MartectX » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:18 pm

Ugh, now it's at the bottom of the jumpbox. Glad to have a scroll wheel on my mouse.

User avatar
A_O_C
Registered User
Posts: 2383
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:26 pm
Location: phpbb_

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by A_O_C » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:37 pm

MartectX wrote:Ugh, now it's at the bottom
agreed, i hate it being all the way at the bottom. oh well.

User avatar
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Posts: 3758
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:30 am
Location: San Mateo, CA
Name: Douglas Bell
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by webmacster87 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Much more appropriate placement. Good decision.

User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 13772
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by 3Di » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:03 am

Marshalrusty wrote:Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.
Better to merge the two forums instead to close the One. :ugeek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29247
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:27 am

3Di wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.
Better to merge the two forums instead to close the One. :ugeek:
Most of the stuff in that forum no longer applies, or won't apply when phpBB2 support is dropped. Merging the two forums would require first prefixing the old phpBB2 topics with "[2.0]" or something, which causes a whole other issue with topic titles that are max length. I just don't see the point, to be honest.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Posts: 3758
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:30 am
Location: San Mateo, CA
Name: Douglas Bell
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by webmacster87 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:23 am

Marshalrusty wrote:
3Di wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.
Better to merge the two forums instead to close the One. :ugeek:
Most of the stuff in that forum no longer applies, or won't apply when phpBB2 support is dropped. Merging the two forums would require first prefixing the old phpBB2 topics with "[2.0]" or something, which causes a whole other issue with topic titles that are max length. I just don't see the point, to be honest.
Agreed. In either forum, quite frankly, the vast majority of the topics are so old that no one would be responding to them anyway, in which case there's nothing wrong with read-only. If any of those topics have a need to arise again, it's probably easier for someone to just start up a new topic here instead.

Making just one forum also makes life a lot simpler for discussions that relate to phpBB, but don't necessarily relate to one particular version of phpBB. (Like the recent Londonvasion discussions, for example.)

User avatar
Eelke
QA Team
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: NL, Bussum
Name: Eelke Blok
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by Eelke » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:08 am

Great idea. I think this will also mean a reduction of support topics posted in the discussion board, both thanks to naming of the forum as well as its placement on the index page.

User avatar
drathbun
Former Team Member
Posts: 12204
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:51 pm
Location: TOPICS_TABLE
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by drathbun » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:07 pm

With the other 2.x forums having been locked down to various degrees already, the 2.x specific "discussion" forum was becoming a dropping ground for anything related to 2.x at all. Posting activity in that forum (2.x discussion) had dropped to nearly nothing in the past months - at least the appropriate posts, versus those that would have been moved under the old configuration. :) So closing it down seems to be appropriate.

The "Tweaks for Large Boards" topic was still active, and has been moved into the new combined forum with an appropriate prefix. Going back and reviewing other topics for whether they are appropriate to move or not is one of the things I plan to do over the coming months, but frankly I do not expect to propose many topics as candidates for continued activity other than that one or others that might have already been moved.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Image

User avatar
Dog Cow
Registered User
Posts: 2494
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:14 am
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by Dog Cow » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:53 pm

I agree with drathbun; posting in Lanzer's topic and my own MOD topics is basically the only thing I come here to do nowadays.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 13772
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by 3Di » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:17 am

Fountain of Apples wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:
3Di wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.
Better to merge the two forums instead to close the One. :ugeek:
Most of the stuff in that forum no longer applies, or won't apply when phpBB2 support is dropped. Merging the two forums would require first prefixing the old phpBB2 topics with "[2.0]" or something, which causes a whole other issue with topic titles that are max length. I just don't see the point, to be honest.
Agreed. In either forum, quite frankly, the vast majority of the topics are so old that no one would be responding to them anyway, in which case there's nothing wrong with read-only. If any of those topics have a need to arise again, it's probably easier for someone to just start up a new topic here instead.

Making just one forum also makes life a lot simpler for discussions that relate to phpBB, but don't necessarily relate to one particular version of phpBB. (Like the recent Londonvasion discussions, for example.)
Any topic have had a reply within the last X months will automatically have a Topic Prefix (like: [BB2]. So easy, also by the coder's side.

Regards.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

User avatar
jwxie
Registered User
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:45 am
Contact:

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by jwxie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:42 pm

well, it's well said and a great decision :lol:

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”