New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 pm

It has been decided that a single phpBB Discussion forum will be effective in simplifying the overall layout of the site. Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.

I would also like to remind you that support questions should continue to be posted in the version specific support forums. This would include questions about using phpBB features or questions on any encountered errors.

For more information regarding the change, please see the topic in the announcements forum: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1104285

Thank you :)

If you have any questions regarding this change, please ask them here.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Elias
Name: Elias

Re: New phpBB Discussion Forum Setup

Post by Elias » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:11 pm

I find it a good move that this has turned out to using only 1 discussion forum.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:18 pm

Ugh, now it's at the bottom of the jumpbox. Glad to have a scroll wheel on my mouse.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:37 pm

MartectX wrote:Ugh, now it's at the bottom
agreed, i hate it being all the way at the bottom. oh well.

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Much more appropriate placement. Good decision.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:03 am

Marshalrusty wrote:Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.
Better to merge the two forums instead to close the One. :ugeek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:27 am

3Di wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:Please post all phpBB2, phpBB3 and non-version-specific discussion topics within this forum.
Most of the stuff in that forum no longer applies, or won't apply when phpBB2 support is dropped. Merging the two forums would require first prefixing the old phpBB2 topics with "[2.0]" or something, which causes a whole other issue with topic titles that are max length. I just don't see the point, to be honest.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:23 am

Marshalrusty wrote:
3Di wrote:
Most of the stuff in that forum no longer applies, or won't apply when phpBB2 support is dropped. Merging the two forums would require first prefixing the old phpBB2 topics with "[2.0]" or something, which causes a whole other issue with topic titles that are max length. I just don't see the point, to be honest.
Agreed. In either forum, quite frankly, the vast majority of the topics are so old that no one would be responding to them anyway, in which case there's nothing wrong with read-only. If any of those topics have a need to arise again, it's probably easier for someone to just start up a new topic here instead.

Making just one forum also makes life a lot simpler for discussions that relate to phpBB, but don't necessarily relate to one particular version of phpBB. (Like the recent Londonvasion discussions, for example.)

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:08 am

Great idea. I think this will also mean a reduction of support topics posted in the discussion board, both thanks to naming of the forum as well as its placement on the index page.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:07 pm

With the other 2.x forums having been locked down to various degrees already, the 2.x specific "discussion" forum was becoming a dropping ground for anything related to 2.x at all. Posting activity in that forum (2.x discussion) had dropped to nearly nothing in the past months - at least the appropriate posts, versus those that would have been moved under the old configuration. :) So closing it down seems to be appropriate.

The "Tweaks for Large Boards" topic was still active, and has been moved into the new combined forum with an appropriate prefix. Going back and reviewing other topics for whether they are appropriate to move or not is one of the things I plan to do over the coming months, but frankly I do not expect to propose many topics as candidates for continued activity other than that one or others that might have already been moved.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:53 pm

I agree with drathbun; posting in Lanzer's topic and my own MOD topics is basically the only thing I come here to do nowadays.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:17 am

Fountain of Apples wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:
3Di wrote:
Agreed. In either forum, quite frankly, the vast majority of the topics are so old that no one would be responding to them anyway, in which case there's nothing wrong with read-only. If any of those topics have a need to arise again, it's probably easier for someone to just start up a new topic here instead.

Making just one forum also makes life a lot simpler for discussions that relate to phpBB, but don't necessarily relate to one particular version of phpBB. (Like the recent Londonvasion discussions, for example.)
Any topic have had a reply within the last X months will automatically have a Topic Prefix (like: [BB2]. So easy, also by the coder's side.

Regards.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

jwxie

Post by jwxie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:42 pm

well, it's well said and a great decision :lol:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”