[3.0.x] Tweaks for large forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
evepowr

Re: [3.0.x] Tweaks for large forums

Post by evepowr » Wed May 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Well I'm more of a graphical editor. Care to share which one you guys think i should do and the best way to do it. I would like to keep subscribing to topics but that posting lag just kills it.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Wed May 30, 2012 10:46 pm

If somebody has that many banned users, I have to wonder if they're banning spammers instead of deleting them. Banning spammers is silly; spammers should be deleted and, if necessary, their usernames should be disallowed.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

evepowr

Post by evepowr » Wed May 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Yea it seems to be just user names. I can clear the banned users since i do ban them by ip as well, but will it slow down from the ips as well?

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu May 31, 2012 1:57 am

evepowr wrote:Yea it seems to be just user names. I can clear the banned users since i do ban them by ip as well, but will it slow down from the ips as well?
You should only ban by IP if you see the same IP address/range a lot or if you don't care about traffic from a particular country/ISP.

As for the above query slowing down, notifications aren't done by IPs, so removing banned users should speed things up.

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Thu May 31, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

evepowr

Post by evepowr » Thu May 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Yea thats what i assumed just wasn't sure 100%, and wanted to get a quick verification. I already have a few countries blocked.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”