Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
dylanhayward

Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by dylanhayward » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:47 am

The Rules Say
Members are requested to retain the full copyright as shown on the default subSilver, subsilver2 and prosilver templates. If for good reason this message cannot be displayed we request at least the "Powered by phpBB" be retained with phpBB linked to http://www.phpbb.com ... said message should be plainly visible and not hidden in the background colour, and so forth.#
If i did somethink like http://magicimages.net/images/zuhljr1dsouur5kuai97.gif and in the graphic put powered by phpbb would that be okay?
Last edited by dylanhayward on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Hey

Post by JimA » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:54 am

If the text phpBB is linking into phpbb.com, it's okay. ;)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

dylanhayward

Post by dylanhayward » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 pm

No I Mean If i have somthink like
And it says powered by phpbb
And it links to phbb is that okay?

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by JimA » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Yes, I think so.

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

dylanhayward

Post by dylanhayward » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Okay Can Any Staff Confirm Please

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Depends on what you are asking.

No copyright is required by law, although it is not allowed to remove the copyright from within the source files, it is not required to keep any copyright notice on the displayed page.

HOWEVER.

For you to get support at this forum it IS required, and it is required in full

the full copyright is:-

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

It must have the years etc as that is the point of the copyright being issued.

It also must have a link to the phpBB.com website
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by JimA » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:45 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:For you to get support at this forum it IS required, and it is required in full

the full copyright is:-

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
That's strange. :? I was think Powered by phpBB with a link to phpBB.com is okay. Why? This text in the footer!
We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to http://www.phpbb.com.
This not only gives respect to the large amount of time given freely by the developers
but also helps build interest, traffic and use of phpBB3. If you (honestly) cannot retain
the full copyright we ask you at least leave in place the "Powered by phpBB" line, with
"phpBB" linked to http://www.phpbb.com. If you refuse to include even this then support on our
forums may be affected.

The phpBB Group : 2006

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:26 pm

The dates are points at which major changes to the code - and hense copyright was exercised.

They are an integral part of the copyright line.

So the full copyright is how I displayed.

The quote you mentioned is for those who for very good reasons (that we might be willing to accept) are unable to have the full copyright notice included. We have not yet, I believe, been given any case where a good reason has been provided.

Untill such a 'good reason' has been accepted by phpBB.com, the full copyright is required for support here.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

simvader

Post by simvader » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:28 pm

And if you are with a free forum service, but they have no copyright? (Or a halve?)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Forums hosted by free forum services are not supported here, regardless.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

BetaDevil

Post by BetaDevil » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 pm

overall_footer.html says nothing about having a good reason too retain support on the forums, so basically there are style authors that only keep "Powered by phpBB" in their styles because there's nothing that says you have to keep the full copyright, and the users of these styles won't get support. :?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:46 pm

BetaDevil wrote:overall_footer.html says nothing about having a good reason too retain support on the forums, so basically there are style authors that only keep "Powered by phpBB" in their styles because there's nothing that says you have to keep the full copyright, and the users of these styles won't get support. :?
overall_footer.html wrote: We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to http://www.phpbb.com.
This not only gives respect to the large amount of time given freely by the developers
but also helps build interest, traffic and use of phpBB3. If you (honestly) cannot retain
the full copyright we ask you at least leave in place the "Powered by phpBB" line, with
"phpBB" linked to http://www.phpbb.com. If you refuse to include even this then support on our
forums may be affected.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

BetaDevil

Post by BetaDevil » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:28 pm

In my opinion it says you don't have too include the years to get support :roll:

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 pm

That would depend on the validity of the honest reason why the full copyright can't be retained, and it is phpbb.com which determines that validity. As ChrisRLG points out, no such valid reason has yet been seen.

Therefore, by default the years must be included to get support unless and until phpbb.com determines that the reason for not doing so is valid.

IMHO.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:33 pm

BetaDevil wrote:In my opinion it says you don't have too include the years to get support :roll:
as per...
stevemaury wrote:
overall_footer.html wrote: We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to http://www.phpbb.com.
forums may be affected.
As the rules clearly state, to receive support here you have to retain the full visible copyright unless you have a good reason which prevents you from displaying the full copyright. As mentioned earlier and I agree, there is honestly no valid reason for not being able to display it. This is how it is and currently it is a support requirement and board rule and thus not really open to discussion or argument :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”