Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
BetaDevil
Registered User
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by BetaDevil » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:56 pm

I don't want to discuss about the rules here on phpBB.com as they are very clear to me, but I think the text in the footer-files should explain clearly that the copyright should really not be changed or removed if you want to have support.

As I mentioned in an earlier post there are styles that changed the copyright to "Powered by phpBB" and they won't get support here, they can easily change it back but it's not their nor the style authors fault, because it's just isn't mentioned clear enough in the template. (And this is still my opinion :ugeek:)

User avatar
karlsemple
Former Team Member
Posts: 39802
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:54 am
Location: Hereford, UK
Contact:

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by karlsemple » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Styles are 3rd party and nothing to do with phpBB.com, it is the responsibility of the style authors to make sure their styles do not isolate the style users from gaining support here and failing that the Admin who install styles without copyright can post in the support forum asking how to re-add it. It is the one instance of support which will be given minus a copyright.

This is also another example of why you should only install validated styles or mods. Styles without the copyright in tact would be denied by the styles team and not accepted into the styles database. So technically unless you are installing un-validated styles you will not end up installing a style minus its copyright.
Image

Pond Life
Registered User
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:55 am

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by Pond Life » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:07 pm

It amazes me that so many people seem to spend so much time trying to find ways to worm their way out of leaving one small and insignificant line at the bottom of the page.

It's simple, phpBB is excellent software and it's free. If you want to be able to get support, leave the copyright exactly as it is. Don't waste time trying to find excuses for removing it, there aren't any. If you're such an expert that you will never need help then remove it or change it if you want to but I still don't see why anyone would think it's so vital that they do that.

There are more important things in life. ;)
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BetaDevil
Registered User
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by BetaDevil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:36 pm

To get back on this topic again :ugeek:
stevemaury wrote:Therefore, by default the years must be included to get support unless and until phpbb.com determines that the reason for not doing so is valid.
Full copyright means all the years included right?

So why are almost all the styles in the styles database here on phpBB.com with only 2007? So it means that they won't get support for something the Styles Team accepted. :?

dowelld
Registered User
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:37 pm

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by dowelld » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:02 pm

karlsemple wrote:Styles are 3rd party and nothing to do with phpBB.com, it is the responsibility of the style authors to make sure their styles do not isolate the style users from gaining support here and failing that the Admin who install styles without copyright can post in the support forum asking how to re-add it. It is the one instance of support which will be given minus a copyright.

This is also another example of why you should only install validated styles or mods. Styles without the copyright in tact would be denied by the styles team and not accepted into the styles database. So technically unless you are installing un-validated styles you will not end up installing a style minus its copyright.
Not by me they won't, having been warned once for politely asking someone to fix this (which they happily did btw) I shan't go near anything like it again.

User avatar
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member
Posts: 3420
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:18 pm
Location: Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:48 pm

BetaDevil wrote:So why are almost all the styles in the styles database here on phpBB.com with only 2007? So it means that they won't get support for something the Styles Team accepted.
I will take this up within the team rooms, and let you know.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

User avatar
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member
Posts: 3420
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:18 pm
Location: Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 pm

moved to the discussion room as it is not a support issue.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29247
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:09 pm

We request that the full phpBB copyright be present on your board to give credit to the software. From a personal standpoint, I can think of very few reasons for why it would be necessary not to display the entire line with copyright years. Please support the software :)


At least the following should be present to receive support on this site:
Powered by phpBB
Please disregard any previous statements of this not being the case. We ask that you retain the full copyright, however the quoted section above is what's required for support.

Displaying the phrase in an image is fine too, as long as the image links back to phpBB.com.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

simvader
Registered User
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by simvader » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:13 pm

But a full copyright is not needed for support? :?

This is very confusing...

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29247
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:17 pm

simvader wrote:But a full copyright is not needed for support? :?
I had hoped that my post was clear :P

The following is the minimum copyright required to receive support:
Powered by phpBB
If you have that line, then support will not be revoked.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant
Posts: 19511
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:11 am
Location: In your servers

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by Techie-Micheal » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:23 pm

The powered by is not a copyright statement, though. The copyright statement is the © 2002, 2004, ...
Pond Life wrote:It amazes me that so many people seem to spend so much time trying to find ways to worm their way out of leaving one small and insignificant line at the bottom of the page.

It's simple, phpBB is excellent software and it's free. If you want to be able to get support, leave the copyright exactly as it is. Don't waste time trying to find excuses for removing it, there aren't any. If you're such an expert that you will never need help then remove it or change it if you want to but I still don't see why anyone would think it's so vital that they do that.

There are more important things in life. ;)
Exactly. I like the way you said that. It seems to me that people are trying to find ways to push the envelope. Just leave things alone and you won't have to worry about it.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29247
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:28 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:The powered by is not a copyright statement, though. The copyright statement is the © 2002, 2004, ...
Technically, yes, that is correct. The line in the footer gives credit to the software being used.

Code copyrights, as you know, are in the files themselves and must stay intact for the code to be legally redistributed.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
MartectX
Translator
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Marienplatz

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by MartectX » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:The following is the minimum copyright required to receive support:
Powered by phpBB
If you have that line, then support will not be revoked.
Thank you very much for *finally* clearing that up. :)

User avatar
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant
Posts: 19511
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:11 am
Location: In your servers

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by Techie-Micheal » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:23 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:The powered by is not a copyright statement, though. The copyright statement is the © 2002, 2004, ...
Technically, yes, that is correct. The line in the footer gives credit to the software being used.

Code copyrights, as you know, are in the files themselves and must stay intact for the code to be legally redistributed.
Right. I just thought it odd, not trying to be a trouble-maker. :P
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”