Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
BetaDevil

Re: Hey [Can Staff Confirm Please]

Post by BetaDevil » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:56 pm

I don't want to discuss about the rules here on phpBB.com as they are very clear to me, but I think the text in the footer-files should explain clearly that the copyright should really not be changed or removed if you want to have support.

As I mentioned in an earlier post there are styles that changed the copyright to "Powered by phpBB" and they won't get support here, they can easily change it back but it's not their nor the style authors fault, because it's just isn't mentioned clear enough in the template. (And this is still my opinion :ugeek:)

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Styles are 3rd party and nothing to do with phpBB.com, it is the responsibility of the style authors to make sure their styles do not isolate the style users from gaining support here and failing that the Admin who install styles without copyright can post in the support forum asking how to re-add it. It is the one instance of support which will be given minus a copyright.

This is also another example of why you should only install validated styles or mods. Styles without the copyright in tact would be denied by the styles team and not accepted into the styles database. So technically unless you are installing un-validated styles you will not end up installing a style minus its copyright.

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:07 pm

It amazes me that so many people seem to spend so much time trying to find ways to worm their way out of leaving one small and insignificant line at the bottom of the page.

It's simple, phpBB is excellent software and it's free. If you want to be able to get support, leave the copyright exactly as it is. Don't waste time trying to find excuses for removing it, there aren't any. If you're such an expert that you will never need help then remove it or change it if you want to but I still don't see why anyone would think it's so vital that they do that.

There are more important things in life. ;)
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BetaDevil

Post by BetaDevil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:36 pm

To get back on this topic again :ugeek:
stevemaury wrote:Therefore, by default the years must be included to get support unless and until phpbb.com determines that the reason for not doing so is valid.
Full copyright means all the years included right?

So why are almost all the styles in the styles database here on phpBB.com with only 2007? So it means that they won't get support for something the Styles Team accepted. :?

dowelld

Post by dowelld » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:02 pm

karlsemple wrote:Styles are 3rd party and nothing to do with phpBB.com, it is the responsibility of the style authors to make sure their styles do not isolate the style users from gaining support here and failing that the Admin who install styles without copyright can post in the support forum asking how to re-add it. It is the one instance of support which will be given minus a copyright.

This is also another example of why you should only install validated styles or mods. Styles without the copyright in tact would be denied by the styles team and not accepted into the styles database. So technically unless you are installing un-validated styles you will not end up installing a style minus its copyright.
Not by me they won't, having been warned once for politely asking someone to fix this (which they happily did btw) I shan't go near anything like it again.

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:48 pm

BetaDevil wrote:So why are almost all the styles in the styles database here on phpBB.com with only 2007? So it means that they won't get support for something the Styles Team accepted.
I will take this up within the team rooms, and let you know.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 pm

moved to the discussion room as it is not a support issue.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:09 pm

We request that the full phpBB copyright be present on your board to give credit to the software. From a personal standpoint, I can think of very few reasons for why it would be necessary not to display the entire line with copyright years. Please support the software :)

At least the following should be present to receive support on this site: