Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 4074
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:Have you tested usernames with UTF-8 chars, and usernames with [, ], <, > or ' in them?
I have to admit that i have not, knowingly, tested with those characters. The thing that it does handle is the Media wiki capitalisation and phpBB spaces in usernames.
It's a separate login albeit with same username and password, minor inconvenience. I've been using that extension for a few months now without any issues that I can recall.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Hasu0bs
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by Hasu0bs »

I realy like the ACP Wiki theme.
Great job :)
User avatar
MikovChain
Registered User
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 am

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by MikovChain »

I just wanted to ask why not use the forum login account. It should be considered before the wiki started.
User avatar
iyeru42
Registered User
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by iyeru42 »

I also would like to bring up the fact that there's no roadmap for phpBB in the wiki.
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
User avatar
Phil
Former Team Member
Posts: 10403
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 am
Name: Phil Crumm
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by Phil »

Highway of Life wrote:
david63 wrote:
Acyd Burn wrote:Tomorrow, i will look into the possibility of using this extension to use the phpbb.com userbase for logins to the wiki. It may work, or it does not work. But it will pose problems for those using usernames not allowed within the wiki.
That does work - I have a site with Media wiki using the extension and I have not found it to be a problem with phpBB usernames
Cool!
Have you tested usernames with UTF-8 chars, and usernames with [, ], <, > or ' in them?
It does not react nicely to some UTF-8 (have no idea why it's selective), brackets, < >, and a few other punctuation marks that aren't terribly common.
iyeru42 wrote:I also would like to bring up the fact that there's no roadmap for phpBB in the wiki.
I believe this is because there is no public roadmap available ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
User avatar
iyeru42
Registered User
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by iyeru42 »

iWisdom wrote:I believe this is because there is no public roadmap available ;)
Why's that? It IS open source software, is it not?
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
User avatar
Phil
Former Team Member
Posts: 10403
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 am
Name: Phil Crumm
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by Phil »

iyeru42 wrote:
iWisdom wrote:I believe this is because there is no public roadmap available ;)
Why's that? It IS open source software, is it not?
I believe it's because, as it's development software, the planned feature list and order of implementation is certain to change. Additionally, announcing features before they actually exist is very much a bad practice when trying to be competitive, as it gives others the chance to implement them, and leads to many angry users in the event the feature is dropped for whatever reason ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
User avatar
iyeru42
Registered User
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by iyeru42 »

vBull, IPB, etc. already have better features than phpBB since before phpBB3 though, so technically, I don't think it'd hurt. :| I do see your point though. It was like that with the 360.
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
User avatar
Phil
Former Team Member
Posts: 10403
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 am
Name: Phil Crumm
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by Phil »

iyeru42 wrote:vBull, IPB, etc. already have better features than phpBB since before phpBB3 though, so technically, I don't think it'd hurt. :| I do see your point though. It was like that with the 360.
Regardless, at this point a roadmap for 3.2 does not actually exist in a nice, laid-out form, outside of the features that have already been announced. As always, no timetable.

Additionally, this is all done in the free time of the developers who work mainly for security, usability, and stability -- it's not all about the features race ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
User avatar
iyeru42
Registered User
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:22 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by iyeru42 »

iWisdom wrote:Additionally, this is all done in the free time of the developers who work mainly for security, usability, and stability -- it's not all about the features race ;)
Of course not. But features also provide better functionality. For example, a warn points system rather than just a 90 day ban for everyone upon warn. Or import old emoticon pak files by default rather than have a modification.
My Website | My MOD Requests | Foreign Key Docs (some topics are not requests)
"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."
ElbertF
Registered User
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:41 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by ElbertF »

MikovChain wrote:I just wanted to ask why not use the forum login account. It should be considered before the wiki started.
The wiki was started years ago outside of phpBB.com.
User avatar
Kellanved
Former Team Member
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Meta-level

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by Kellanved »

Largely because we are a "volunteers doing stuff in their free time" project and are not pursuing features, but usability, performance and security ;). Especially the scripts you mentioned have grave issues in these departments and features few people need are just better done as modules. Feature counting is the worst benchmark there is.

We'll get more specific about the 3.1 plans in the near future :mrgreen: .
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 16032
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by 3Di »

Acyd Burn wrote:Tomorrow, i will look into the possibility of using this extension to use the phpbb.com userbase for logins to the wiki. It may work, or it does not work. But it will pose problems for those using usernames not allowed within the wiki.
Good decision, thank you. :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
User avatar
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Name: David Lewis
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by Highway of Life »

MikovChain wrote:I just wanted to ask why not use the forum login account. It should be considered before the wiki started.
MediaWiki has a reputation of not handling UTF-8 chars very well when integrated with phpBB3. I had looked into this 1.5 years ago and there was no solution at that time that I could find.
You have to remember that it’s a separate system, running on completely different software.
And accounts do not have to be integrated within phpBB3. It’s just a nice-to-have. And no, the wiki was started long before it was brought to phpBB.com -- so there was no reason to consider it until it was brought here. -- Again, it did not have to be considered, it’s just a nice feature to have.
iyeru42 wrote:I also would like to bring up the fact that there's no roadmap for phpBB in the wiki.
That should not be surprising. wiki does not equal roadmap. The wiki is for coding documentation.
iyeru42 wrote:Why's that? It IS open source software, is it not?
This has nothing to do with having a roadmap available or not. :)
There are many software companies (commercial and OSS) that neither need nor use roadmaps.
I’m not saying that we either do or do not, but this really has nothing to do with the wiki. ;)

Please continue the discussion of feature wants + roadmap in a new topic. Thanks.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
User avatar
gn#36
Translator
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Discuss: phpBB Wiki

Post by gn#36 »

If nobody else is having problems with the login, I am. I suppose it is because of the # in my username (which also caused the old phpBB 2 mod template validator to fail). The Wiki refuses my username as invalid.
German Support Team Member • http://www.phpbb.deMy Extensions in the CDBMy Extensions on Github • Contact with caos is inavoidable but no catastrophy if you keep an overview.
Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”