things wrong with 3.0

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Golf Girl

Re: things wrong with 3.0

Post by Golf Girl »

Sorry, I don't want to use Firefox, and neither do most people.
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

If you want to stay with IE you'll have to accept it's bugs and weird behaviors. Otherwise it's like saying "I have a flat tire but I don't want to change it, please fix it." :)
Golf Girl

Post by Golf Girl »

ElbertF wrote:If you want to stay with IE you'll have to accept it's bugs and weird behaviors. Otherwise it's like saying "I have a flat tire but I don't want to change it, please fix it." :)
I didn't have this problem until I upgraded my board to v3, therefore it's surely a phpBB3 problem, not an IE problem?

PS I don't usually throw away a perfectly good tyre if all it needs is a small repair, that would be silly ;)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

I didn't have this problem until I upgraded my board to v3, therefore it's surely a phpBB3 problem, not an IE problem?
No, as already said it is an IE problem/bug, whether the developers can or should work around this is a completely different issue, but it is not a phpBB3 problem. Unfortunately IE is the bane of all web developers simply because it does not properly support standards and you can not blame the software becuase IE does not handle something correctly :)
Golf Girl

Post by Golf Girl »

karlsemple wrote:as already said it is an IE problem/bug, whether the developers can or should work around this is a completely different issue, but it is not a phpBB3 problem. Unfortunately IE is the bane of all web developers simply because it does not properly support standards and you can not blame the software becuase IE does not handle something correctly :)
Thanks karl, I do understand what your saying, ie that phpBB3 is 'correct' and IE7 is 'wrong' and that's all very well, but it doesn't wash with the poor user when he finds that something doesn't work any more when an application is upgraded. It worked before, so it should still work now.

IE7 is the most-used browser on the planet and that's all there is to it. To suggest that the only way to fix a problem with phpBB3 is to change to another web browser is, from the user's point of view, quite frankly ridiculous.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

IE7 is the most-used browser on the planet and that's all there is to it. To suggest that the only way to fix a problem with phpBB3
How does it need fixing? Simply do not browse away from the posting screen and so you do not have to click back button, that is what the middle click on the mouse is for, open in a new browser/tab. I have no idea why someone would click to reply and then suddenly decide to browse away from the post screen.
Golf Girl

Post by Golf Girl »

karlsemple wrote:
IE7 is the most-used browser on the planet and that's all there is to it. To suggest that the only way to fix a problem with phpBB3
How does it need fixing? Simply do not browse away from the posting screen and so you do not have to click back button, that is what the middle click on the mouse is for, open in a new browser/tab. I have no idea why someone would click to reply and then suddenly decide to browse away from the post screen.
From my original post "This business of the text disappearing when you're composing a message and say, click on a link when you are previewing your message, has been bugging me for a while too". I do that all the time, I always have done, when I post a link I like to make sure that the link is valid and working before I submit. I don't think that's unreasonable behaviour, is it?

Also, fyi I don't have a middle click on my mouse.
momentum

Post by momentum »

So why not right-click the link and choose "Open in new window" instead?

Craig.
QOTY: phpBB is free, good hosting is not. - robert (Lumpy Burgertushie)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Also, fyi I don't have a middle click on my mouse.
ctrl+click .... this is functionality designed for such situations.

Basically you are wanting phpBB3 to accommodate a browser bug because you have gotten into a bad habit, there are correct method for doing what you are wanting to do such as middle click/ctrl+click which are there to open links in a new tab or window.
Golf Girl

Post by Golf Girl »

momentum wrote:So why not right-click the link and choose "Open in new window" instead?
Yes I do that when I remember but it's natural just to click on the link without thinking, just as I have always done.
karlsemple wrote:ctrl+click .... this is functionality designed for such situations
I have never used keyboard shortcuts since the age of the GUI. To start having to do so now seems like somewhat of a backward step. Also, I have such a bad memory I would never remember them.
karlsemple wrote:Basically you are wanting phpBB3 to accommodate a browser bug because you have gotten into a bad habit, there are correct method for doing what you are wanting to do such as middle click/ctrl+click which are there to open links in a new tab or window
I want phpBB3 to work properly, just like its predecessor did, under the most commonly used internet browser there is. Clicking on a link is hardly a bad habit, it's what links are all about.
momentum

Post by momentum »

Golf Girl wrote:[I want phpBB3 to work properly....
But it does. It's IE that's broken.

Craig.
QOTY: phpBB is free, good hosting is not. - robert (Lumpy Burgertushie)
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Golf Girl wrote:I want phpBB3 to work properly, just like its predecessor did...
The problem here is that phpBB 3 is between a rock and a hard spot. Strictly speaking, phpBB 2 didn't work properly; it opened new windows when links were clicked. phpBB 3 addresses this, but in the process, reveals an IE problem. So the question is no longer about fixing anything, unfortunately, but about having to evaluate which thing to break: well-established Web best practices, or IE.

It's not as easy a decision as it sounds -- assuming that it sounds easy to you. :)
Last edited by SamG on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We should talk less, and say more.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

SamG wrote:Strictly speaking, phpBB 2 didn't work properly; it opened new windows when links were clicked. phpBB 3 addresses this, but in the process, reveals an IE problem
Seems like IE8 addressed this issue though. Actually.. :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

I guess I don't see IE 8 being all that helpful just yet ... :)
We should talk less, and say more.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

SamG wrote:I guess I don't see IE 8 being all that helpful just yet ... :)
Agreed. :) And, think about: seems like it follows also the CSS2 specs, finally.. oh my. :roll: :geek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀

Return to “phpBB Discussion”