PHPBB 4

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
gamemaster355
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:43 pm

PHPBB 4

Post by gamemaster355 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:47 pm

This really isn't a MOD but I was wondering when the next version of PHPBB is going to come out. I would love to upgrade. Anybody have any guesses about how many months it will take?

User avatar
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 5541
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Davis, California
Name: Darcie Griffin
Contact:

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by darcie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:24 am

No, this isn't a MOD at all, as the next version of phpBB will be a standard, un-modded release. As such, I will move this topic to phpBB Discussion. Please read the forum descriptions more carefully and post accordingly.

Having said that, the next version of phpBB is already being worked on. It will be released, when ready, as 3.2. Intermediate maintenance releases will continue to be made as needed. There is no date set for the 3.2 line. The typical response is that it is ready when it is ready. As this is a project involving volunteers, we do not put a deadline on new versions. More than five years elapsed between the initial releases of 2.0 and 3.0. See the History page for more information. It would be impossible to make an accurate guess as to the release date for 3.2, and certainly quite difficult to guess for 4.0. ;)
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

bobolicious
Registered User
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by bobolicious » Fri May 07, 2010 4:02 pm

That being said, let me refraise his question, what parts are left to do for the next version and whats the over all tasks that are not done yet. that would give us a better understanding of when it will be released :mrgreen:

User avatar
igorw
Former Team Member
Posts: 8024
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Name: Igor Wiedler

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by igorw » Fri May 07, 2010 4:49 pm

The next version in the 3.x line will be phpBB 3.1. This blog post contains some information. Development is ongoing and community contributions are welcome. More information can be found at area51. There is a feature freeze date which is May 31, but the exact release date is impossible to predict.

phpBB 4.x development has not really taken off yet. Some ideas have been discussed so far. The plan is for it to be built around the upcoming versions of Symfony and Doctrine, but considering those are both planned to be released in the fourth quarter of 2010 the focus is currently on phpBB 3.1.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

ricjonhay
Registered User
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by ricjonhay » Fri May 07, 2010 11:29 pm

So next is 3.1 not 3.0.8?

User avatar
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Posts: 9899
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:09 am
Location: The Netherlands, 3.0.x Support Forum
Name: Erik Frèrejean
Contact:

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 pm

The next feature release is 3.1.0, the next maintenance release is 3.0.8
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

ricjonhay
Registered User
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by ricjonhay » Fri May 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Erik Frèrejean wrote:The next feature release is 3.1.0, the next maintenance release is 3.0.8
Thought so, just the post wasn't that clear :D

moshxsoft
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by moshxsoft » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:33 pm

when release phpbb4 ?

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29234
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:07 am

moshxsoft wrote:when release phpbb4 ?
The phpBB project does not announce release dates.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
Brandon05
Registered User
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Brandon05 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 am

Marshalrusty wrote:
moshxsoft wrote:when release phpbb4 ?
The phpBB project does not announce release dates.
Pretty much haha. It's more like you boot up phpBB.com and the latest news smacks you in the face. :D

User avatar
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Posts: 9899
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:09 am
Location: The Netherlands, 3.0.x Support Forum
Name: Erik Frèrejean
Contact:

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 am

moshxsoft wrote:when release phpbb4 ?
The day after the day before its released. As usual there are no release dates and 4 is a long time away, especially looking at the fact that there isn't any code for it yet ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

User avatar
Brandon05
Registered User
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Brandon05 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:13 am

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
moshxsoft wrote:when release phpbb4 ?
The day after the day before its released. As usual there are no release dates and 4 is a long time away, especially looking at the fact that there isn't any code for it yet ;).
I am just extremely curious as to what the new default style will be that's going to replace prosilver. Or if your going to just keep prosilver and apply the new changes for phpBB4.

User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29234
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:25 am

Brandon05 wrote:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:
moshxsoft wrote:when release phpbb4 ?
The day after the day before its released. As usual there are no release dates and 4 is a long time away, especially looking at the fact that there isn't any code for it yet ;).
I am just extremely curious as to what the new default style will be that's going to replace prosilver. Or if your going to just keep prosilver and apply the new changes for phpBB4.
I would likewise be interested to know the answer to this question.

The release of phpBB4 is far enough away that no answer is yet available. The template portion, at the very least, would receive a complete overhaul.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Erik Frèrejean wrote:The day after the day before its released.
As this is a discussion topic, can we please stop using that response? It might have been cute or funny at one time, but now it's just trite and a bit insulting (because the question is reasonable if you don't know how phpBB treats release dates, so the response comes across as snarky).

Something like you said here is a much more appropriate response:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:As usual there are no release dates and 4 is a long time away, especially looking at the fact that there isn't any code for it yet ;).
Personally, I'd add that it's a volunteer effort, so scheduling like a traditional business isn't very practical.

In fact, maybe there could be an FAQ about release dates that you could just link to.

Just my $0.02....

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
Brandon05
Registered User
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Re: PHPBB 4

Post by Brandon05 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:33 am

Marshalrusty wrote:
Brandon05 wrote:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:
moshxsoft wrote:when release phpbb4 ?
The day after the day before its released. As usual there are no release dates and 4 is a long time away, especially looking at the fact that there isn't any code for it yet ;).
I am just extremely curious as to what the new default style will be that's going to replace prosilver. Or if your going to just keep prosilver and apply the new changes for phpBB4.
I would likewise be interested to know the answer to this question.

The release of phpBB4 is far enough away that no answer is yet available. The template portion, at the very least, would receive a complete overhaul.

Well hopefully you use the same guy who made the design. subBlue http://subblue.com

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: koraldon and 26 guests