PhpBB copyright string

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Thierry JR Cavalié
I've Been Banned!

PhpBB copyright string

Post by Thierry JR Cavalié »

Hi everybody,

I suggest PhpBB copyright string to be replaced by a Php var in the overal footer and to set up this variable in a file will be updated for each release.

By this way, it could be very easy to give some information as the last number version and / or date:

© 2000 - 2008 by phpBB Group - V.3.0.2 (for instance)

Thierry Cavalié
david63

Re: PhpBB copyright string

Post by david63 »

Your suggestion for displaying the copyright year is incorrect - the way that it is displayed currently is correct. This has been discussed at great length in the past. If you are interested in the reasoning I would suggest a search.

As for the version number this was removed several years ago in order to not advertise which version is being used - especially important if there is a security problem with an older version.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- »

Hi,

Version number is already stored in the database.
If you want to know when it was removed from overall_footer, looking here can give an idea ;)

Moved from GD
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only
Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni »

The version number has previously been removed from the footer, as it can potentially be used by a malicious person to identify message boards vulnerable to security exploits (as it has been in the past). If an admin needs to check the status of their board, then the current version and any available updates are listed in the ACP.
symbolicpixel

Post by symbolicpixel »

Another thing to throw in: the version in that database should also serve as a way to check for new updates. I am sure there are certain scripts within phpBB 3 where your message boards connect directly to phpBB.com for updates. Modifying them is a whole different story.
~ on myspace ~
*** no support given in private - private messaging helps one person, forum posts help many.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

symbolicpixel wrote:Another thing to throw in: the version in that database should also serve as a way to check for new updates. I am sure there are certain scripts within phpBB 3 where your message boards connect directly to phpBB.com for updates. Modifying them is a whole different story.
That is the way it now works.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
BertieZilla

Post by BertieZilla »

symbolicpixel wrote:Another thing to throw in: the version in that database should also serve as a way to check for new updates. I am sure there are certain scripts within phpBB 3 where your message boards connect directly to phpBB.com for updates. Modifying them is a whole different story.
ACP -> System. It should be the first module there. “Check for Updates” and shows if there is a new version available.

Code: Select all

~/bertieZilla-3.0/$ ./configure --enable-bertiezilla --enable-troll-eating
Assist in World Domination | Bertie for President | Bertie on Facebook | Bertie Flickr
Thierry JR Cavalié
I've Been Banned!

Well, it's still unusual to not give the version's number in the copyright but I agree all the arguments provided in this topic :D
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

There are other ways to find the version number even if it is not told to you. There are visible changes (generally) to each successive version to phpBB 3, which you could check the changelog for and then check the target phpBB installation in question. Not foolproof, but certainly not completely inaccurate, either.

In any case, if you wanted to change the copyright line to a variable and add the version number as well, you are free to do so.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Thierry JR Cavalié
I've Been Banned!

Dog Cow wrote:There are other ways to find the version number even if it is not told to you. There are visible changes (generally) to each successive version to phpBB 3, which you could check the changelog for and then check the target phpBB installation in question. Not foolproof, but certainly not completely inaccurate, either.

In any case, if you wanted to change the copyright line to a variable and add the version number as well, you are free to do so.
Hi Dog Cow,
<flood>
I often listen the "old dogs": Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and so on... One of them died some days ago and the poor French man so far from american country I am is very sad.
Not only american people get the Blues, sometime.
</flood>
My purpose was not to change anything about Copyright's string inside my own forums but to suggest an idea which is definitively not good because I understand I was wrong :mrgreen:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”