The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Post by jaunty_mellifluous » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:02 pm

I know lots of people didn't like Avatars being on right of the posts. I really found that a very sweet change first time I saw it.

For one, because all forums display avatars of the left.

Other thing is that it's better to keep the post on the left because that's the more important factor in discussions. Our first attention should be going to the post, what it's about and second attention should be going to the author and details about him/her. So this little change helps us see posts in that manner.

Personally, I think avatars look better on the right than on left. ;)
Stay Cool!

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:26 pm

jaunty_mellifluous wrote:For one, because all forums display avatars of the left.
Some forums put them above the post O_o

I must admit it was a little confusing at first but after a few hours I got used to I like it so much now.
Chris SmithGitHub

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 pm

Dog Cow wrote:phpBB 2 RAM Usage versus phpBB 3 RAM Usage.

Feel free to do these tests on your own as well....
I did, on a Mac Server as well, and my benchmark results were nowhere near those. Yes, phpBB3 is going to use a bit more memory (it has over four times the features and functionality of phpBB2), but I found that it handled large amounts of data better. -- I never found a single occurrence where it used twice as much or more memory than phpBB2. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Personally, I think avatars look better on the right than on left.
They don´t look bad, but I´m so used to seeing them on the left that I automatically tend to focus on the right hand side to read the message.

And to be honest, I rather stick with a bad habit than dropping that habit and switch it for a new one which essentially ends up being the same thing, focusing on the message content and ignoring the poster's details.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:20 am

Highway of Life wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:phpBB 2 RAM Usage versus phpBB 3 RAM Usage.

Feel free to do these tests on your own as well....
I did, on a Mac Server as well, and my benchmark results were nowhere near those. Yes, phpBB3 is going to use a bit more memory (it has over four times the features and functionality of phpBB2), but I found that it handled large amounts of data better. -- I never found a single occurrence where it used twice as much or more memory than phpBB2. :)
Use Unicode. ;) The RAM usage of phpBB3 is (of course) a lot higher than phpBB2 - but to the contrary new PHP versions assign more memory by default (128M). The plain measures of course show that phpBB3 uses more memory - simply because it has to store more data internally (from the user object, language keys, cached data to normalization tables), but that's absolutely fine. No properly setup server will have the slightest problem with it - you will not even notice. What is more interesting is the "overhead" produced. While in phpBB2 used data structures are not unset, left "there", memory not put back and "simply" consumed as it was needed phpBB3 on the contrary was programmed to give memory back, only assign structures it needs for it's current operation and also tries to be very cautious with memory assignments. That's the real difference, the difference you see if you try to scale phpBB3. phpBB2 has it's problems and gets slower and consumes more and more memory the more load you have on your forum - whereas phpBB3 scales very nicely (although of course having some sections where we still need to improve). There is also a reason why phpBB3 scales better - we had more very big forums within the planning, testing and coding stages... apart from the phpbb.com database we used for testing, we also had the opportunity to test it on a live website (bokt.nl by BartVB).

Generally, i do not think phpBB2 and phpBB3 are even comparable, they are so extremely different products...

OldRockSongs

Post by OldRockSongs » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Wow, this topic got a lot of posts! :lol:

Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 am

22 including mine and yours. ;)

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 am

The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

phpBB 2 is not opening links in the same window. 8-)

This week I was thinking about one suggestion I saw on a very good discussion explaining the target=blank attribute: why not force phpBB 3 to open all board links in the same window, like you are doing today, while all external links from any other pages will open in other windows/tabs? There's a way, by doing some code changes, to revert this on phpBB 3. But why not offer the users the alternative to choose between all these methods?

Tabs are better than windows and they are the whole point of reverting this decision. When the user leaves your board after clicking on any of these links, he may not to return. If another tab still holds your board/site, that chance is a lot bigger.

And while the back-button maybe known to some users, the right-button popup-menu (different for every browser and even browser versions) is not. So a lot of users don't realise they have a choice.

There a lot of backdrops to using the back-button too. Flash content would have to be reloaded every time the site is revisited. Same thing for POST data. If the original page is behind in line to some page with POST data, a lot of users will be scared off by the unfriendly 'the page could not be loaded message'. Javascript variables are lost in both firefox and IE (Opera was doing this right) with the possibility of dangerously crippling your site if the user does suspect to his changes to still be there (like a javascript store application where no serverside option is available). Also filled in form-data is not always there anymore when you use the back button. Still it would be pretty usefull to be able to use links to give the user some (additional) help on a page with forms.

A good example of why I personally don't like this:

In some articles there are a lot of links, many of them to external blogs or websites. My personal way of navigation, probably not used by me alone, is to open each link in a new page, read the article, maybe some other info, close down that window and continue reading the main article. Even the stackorder of the windows works like keeping the crumps to where you have been.

Now I noticed 2 situations. Both where I forgot that the links were not opened in a new window. The first time I read the information on the external page, and like I was used to closed down the window. Gone are original page and the browser history alltogether.

Talk about usability (Am I also the only one pressing alt-F4 in another application, by accident closing down the browser window... same effect).

Now the second time the external link was very very interesting. And it had even more interesting links to other sites, wich I followed, never to return to the article. I forgot about the whole existence of the article until the next visit.

The original page will always be waiting in the background for the user to return to in the old method. :ugeek:
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:41 am

The target="_blank" link attribute that is required to open links in a new window is not XHTML valid, and as such isn't utilized.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:11 am

Users should always be given the choice of whether to open something in a new window or not. If I want something to open in a new tab, I can just middle click it. On the other hand, sites that force links to open in new tabs/windows do not give me the choice to open then in the same.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:41 pm

You guys still click links?! Don't you know the dangers of sending referrer data?! :o
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Dog Cow wrote:You guys still click links?! Don't you know the dangers of sending referrer data?! :o
So why does it matter whether or not the link opens in a new window?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Techie-Micheal wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:You guys still click links?! Don't you know the dangers of sending referrer data?! :o
So why does it matter whether or not the link opens in a new window?
Well, me personally, I like links to another page on the same site to open in the same window, and I like off-site links to spawn a new tab or window. If not, sometimes I'll check out a link on a site, then come back to where I was before. If everything opened in the same view, I'd tend to forget to go back.

... And I do click links, it's just that there are some people who don't for that exact reason I mentioned.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Dog Cow wrote:Well, me personally, I like links to another page on the same site to open in the same window, and I like off-site links to spawn a new tab or window.
That's exactly how I like it, and that's the way my phpBB2 board works, local links open in the same window, outbound links open in a new window, or tab, if the user knows that a wheel-click opens new tabs.

I believe this makes for easier navigation and at the same time keeps visitors on my site.

**EDIT-TYPO**
Last edited by Dogs and things on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 pm

This is the new "quick reply" it seems. :) Everyone has an opinion, but I don't see it changing. There is a reason it is done the way it is for phpBB3, and there are MODs to change the behavior if you don't like the way it works.

phpBB2 had the opposite problem; new links always opened in a new window, and I wrote a MOD to keep local links in the same window but still allow external links to open in a new window.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “phpBB Discussion”