Page 4 of 4

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 am
by Techie-Micheal
Dog Cow wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
A_O_C wrote:isnt it also not valid XHTML?
Yes, the target attribute is invalid XHTML.
Ah, but that's a simple fix! One must merely set one's doctype to HTML 4.0.
But then it wouldn't be XHTML, now would it? ;)

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:53 pm
by Dog Cow
Techie-Micheal wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:
A_O_C wrote:isnt it also not valid XHTML?
Yes, the target attribute is invalid XHTML.
Ah, but that's a simple fix! One must merely set one's doctype to HTML 4.0.
But then it wouldn't be XHTML, now would it? ;)
So what? It's not illegal to have an HTML 4.0 doctype, is it?

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:55 pm
by ToonArmy
Dog Cow wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:But then it wouldn't be XHTML, now would it? ;)
So what? It's not illegal to have an HTML 4.0 doctype, is it?
But prosilver and subsilver2 are both XHTML ;)

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pm
by Dog Cow
ToonArmy wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:But then it wouldn't be XHTML, now would it? ;)
So what? It's not illegal to have an HTML 4.0 doctype, is it?
But prosilver and subsilver2 are both XHTML ;)
There's nothing stopping anyone from changing that, or even inventing his own style. ;)

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 pm
by Marshalrusty
Dog Cow wrote:There's nothing stopping anyone from changing that, or even inventing his own style. ;)
There definitely isn't anything stopping someone from doing it.

I was, however, under the impression that this topic was about us doing it.

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:55 pm
by Dog Cow
Marshalrusty wrote: I was, however, under the impression that this topic was about us doing it.
I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me what you guys do.

Anyway, this topic is off-topic by now. Here's the first post:
OldRockSongs wrote:The one thing I like about phpBB2 better is... the way it looks. Sure, there's a phpBB subsilver skin, but it doesn't display the website link and everything on posts. And the prosilver skin sucks, avatars on the right?

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:20 am
by Marshalrusty
Dog Cow wrote:I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me what you guys do.
You say that, but your behavior seems to say the exact opposite. You have been taking every opportunity possible to raise objection to our phpBB2 related plans, despite the fact that said plans have been publicly available since April. I really hope that you actually do care what we do, because the alternative is that you have been kicking up dust for the sake of kicking up dust.

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:32 pm
by MichaelWagner
Highway of Life wrote:I think users should be able to dictate how they browse sites, I don’t think sites should dictate how the users browse.
In the past month or so I've been using firefox a lot. It's the first tabbed browser I use. I like being able to chose whether, when I click a link, I open it in the current tab or a new one. I think Highway of Life has a point. I like the freedom to chose.

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:28 am
by Linda Carter
I wonder if Highway's point of view is not biased for his past experiences with crazy pop-ups and nasty Javascripts from websites taking control of his browser (which happens to be Internet Explorer, no surprise he thinks this is a good idea). :mrgreen:

No offense, but we already have so much control than ever before (blocking pop-ups, javascript, etc.), it seems pointless to teach everyone a new way of building pages. Most websites are not doing that, and they should not be forced to do. :oops:

The Prime Links idea it's great, but in the end, it's up to the owner of the board/site to decide what's best for him and it's users. That's why I think phpBB 3 should at least offer custom methods of opening links in the Admin CP (not sure if this is even possible), maybe using Javascript to perform this action. :mrgreen:

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:36 am
by Highway of Life
Linda Carter wrote:I wonder if Highway's point of view is not biased for his past experiences with crazy pop-ups and nasty Javascripts from websites taking control of his browser (which happens to be Internet Explorer, no surprise he thinks this is a good idea). :mrgreen:
I don’t use IE, so that would be a “nope”. ;) I don’t even use Windows.

We have control over pop-up blocking and whether or not we want Javascript to load in the browser, but if a site forces you to have links open in new windows, there is no way to override this.
However, if you are a user and want a link to open in a new window or tab, you can easily make this choice. But the target="_blank" takes this choice away from the user.
Omitting the target attribute is not new. However, using it would be akin to asking web developers and designers to continue using iframes in excess. (one of the web's biggest no-no's).

Web designers need to learn how to develop web pages correctly. Users will learn the proper browsing method, and what fits their need best. We don’t need to be second-guessing them. And we certainly don’t need to be taking that control away from them.

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:16 am
by MartectX
Highway of Life wrote:We have control over pop-up blocking and whether or not we want Javascript to load in the browser, but if a site forces you to have links open in new windows, there is no way to override this.
Click and drag the link unto the active tab bar (Firefox). I do it all the time with nasty target="_blank"-using websites.

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:35 am
by Highway of Life
MartectX wrote:Click and drag the link unto the active tab bar (Firefox). I do it all the time with nasty target="_blank"-using websites.
Brilliant! ... works in Safari/Webkit also. ;)

Re: The one thing I like about phpBB2 better...

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 am
by Ishimaru Chiaki
about the target="_blank", one of the main reason why the choice to the end-user is preferred is this : You, as a full-sighted user, have no much trouble seeing a new window has opened (even if you miss it sometimes). It's not the same for blind people who have much trouble noticing it, because they don't have the global view of the screen and so, they don't see the taskbar when an application is open and its window is active.

I attach these following links to this reply, to show you how blind users use their computer and browse the Net :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1uYlgLSKMk (with a screenreader - look also at the similar videos linked on the right side)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6XAPkiQMtw (Braille displays, always used along with screenreaders)

I will probably have to use these types of application in the future, as I have a genetic retinal disease (Leber Congenital Amaurosis - severe form of retinitis pigmentosa) who is evolutive and nobody can tell for how long my sight will stay steady.
Dog Cow wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:But then it wouldn't be XHTML, now would it? ;)
So what? It's not illegal to have an HTML 4.0 doctype, is it?
But prosilver and subsilver2 are both XHTML ;)
There's nothing stopping anyone from changing that, or even inventing his own style. ;)
If you even switch doctype to HTML 4.01, you'll lose the inherit rule in CSS, and usability of some CSS 2.1 properties and selectors in some browsers.

For example, these following CSS codelines will work properly in XHTMl 1.0, but won't work in some browsers in HTML 4.01 :

Code: Select all

#header p /*all paragraphs located in the #header block */
{
     font-size: 0.8em;
     color: white;
}
That's why on phpBB2, we had things like <span class="gensmall"><a class="gensmall" href="http://my_link">blabla</a></span> because in HTML 4.01, nested tags inside an element with a class doesn't inherit from his parent tag.