phpbb2 vs phpbb3...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Gangularis

phpbb2 vs phpbb3...

Post by Gangularis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:14 am

I recently decided to upgrade to phpbb3, after having my heavily modded phpbb2 forum exploited a few times. i had so many mods on that forum that i just didn't have the energy to go line by line to try and get it from it's point release to the latest point release... after doing that, i'm really regretting upgrading to phpbb3. One thing that bothers me is that i think phpbb3 really missed out on the opportunity to embrace a lot of aspects of so many mods, that so many people really were interested in having integrated into their forum.. a shoutbox, for one..or maybe a photo gallery.. there's so many things that i could think of that should be a standard of webforums these days, but, for some reason, they didn't make it into the final cut of phpbb3. Am I wrong to have expected more from this release? In a way, it kind of reminds me of vista. Sure it has some nice new security features, but everthing else has become ten times as complicated, and it doesn't really bring that much new to the table..

Do most of you cling to your old phpbb2 installations, or have you largely upgraded to phpbb3? i'm at a loss for words when it comes to the amount of wonderful mods that I have put aside for this upgrade...I truly miss my old forum, in a very personal way. It was like my own project. I invested so much into it, but because someone had to exploit it's security flaws, i have now lost it.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: phpbb2 vs phpbb3...

Post by KevC » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:22 am

There's a fine line between enough useful MODs and unnecessary bloat. The more things you add the more complicated it gets. Also, what you want, someone else might not want. I, for instance, would have no need at all for a shoutbox on any of the forums I run and I only have one where a gallery could be useful.

They have to take an approach whereby the most essential (important word, that) MODs are included and everything else can then be added by the end user if they want it.

If they included everything that everyone thought was missing, they'd never get it finished.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 am

I would never use a shoutbox or gallery on my forum - they would be unnecessary bloat for the vast majority, and would take valuable developer time away from the features which are actually useful to everyone running a forum.

momentum

Post by momentum » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 am

As a phpBB 3 user I have absolutely no use for attachments or birthdays and really don't understand why these were included with the release. With that said, I think v3 is most definitely a more mature package than v2 could ever have been and don't regret the upgrade at all.

Craig.
QOTY: phpBB is free, good hosting is not. - robert (Lumpy Burgertushie)

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:37 pm

momentum wrote:As a phpBB 3 user I have absolutely no use for attachments
This is almost essential on a forum like mine where the discussion revolves around physical objects that are not easily described. Some times the people asking may not even know what the "thing" is. Being able to attach an image as the saying goes "...a thousand words".

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:45 pm

momentum wrote:As a phpBB 3 user I have absolutely no use for attachments or birthdays
Birthdays I agree with you on (indeed, iirc the developers themselves have expressed a similar sentiment), but it is easy to imagine a situation where attachments are useful on any forum.

Gangularis

Post by Gangularis » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:38 am

Yeah, I guess I was looking at it from too much of a personal perspective. That said, it would be nice if there was a more decked out package. You know, like phpbb3 GT!! I guess some people might make prehacked phpbb3's, but I haven't been able to find any, yet.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:51 am

i agree... i wish the birthdays were not included by default on phpbb3 (it is THE FIRST thing i turn off on any board i administer).

Pezzoni wrote:
momentum wrote:As a phpBB 3 user I have absolutely no use for... birthdays
... iirc the developers themselves have expressed a similar sentiment...
do you perhaps have a link to where they expressed this? i would LOVE to see this, because it would just reinforce the need to remove it.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:42 am

Gangularis wrote:Yeah, I guess I was looking at it from too much of a personal perspective. That said, it would be nice if there was a more decked out package. You know, like phpbb3 GT!! I guess some people might make prehacked phpbb3's, but I haven't been able to find any, yet.
I have no doubt that premod versions are/will be available.
Just remember that you would have to get support from the place you got it and not from us. That could easily dry up if the maker loses interest.

Or learn how to add MODs yourself. It's not hard. Copy/paste, not much more than that.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Gangularis

Post by Gangularis » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:11 am

well, when you're copying and pasting multiple lines of text in multiple files, it can get complicated.. it can really take up some time, based on how comlicated the mods, are.. plus i have a tendancy to use a non-standard template for my forum, so that also makes it more of a challenge. To tell me to "learn how to add mods yourself" is an insult, and I take it that way. My phpbb2 webforum had, EASILY, 25 to 30 very complex, modifications added to it. It's not an issue of not knowing how to install mods.. it's an issue of having the energy, and time, to want to go through endless lines of code, "copying and pasting" to make forum changes.. I understand where I need to get support when it comes to individual mods.. please don't try to condescend to me. I conceded that I understand the need for a basic, simple, and straightforward, webforum. That said, and to use the vista analogy, again, I think it would also be nice to have a more decked out version, as an alternative. Just like Vista has a version for home users, versus vista ultimate. Do you not see the rationale, there?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:05 pm

You've taken my comment in the wrong context but never mind.

The problem with having different versions is that it requires more time and effort not only from the developers but also the support teams to keep up with the separate issues they would present. You would need two sets of update packages and when suggesting people replace files to fix errors you would have to be 100% sure of the version before doing that. We get people who don't even know if they're on phpBB2 or 3 let alone which sub-version of that they're on. For those that have the final say it's probably 'not worth the effort'.
Cheap UK Hosting

kramtronix

Post by kramtronix » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Going back to the original post, I think if you're really that dissatisfied with 3, you should go back to 2. Obviously there were extensive conversations in this community where the pros, cons, and capabilites of version 3 were discussed. And you had to have known that all of the mods you installed on 2 would not have been included in 3.

A little research could have saved you some greif.

Personally, I'm feelin' version 3.
KRAM ®

Gangularis

Post by Gangularis » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:04 pm

kramtronix wrote:Going back to the original post, I think if you're really that dissatisfied with 3, you should go back to 2. Obviously there were extensive conversations in this community where the pros, cons, and capabilites of version 3 were discussed. And you had to have known that all of the mods you installed on 2 would not have been included in 3.

A little research could have saved you some greif.

Personally, I'm feelin' version 3.
Well, as I already said, I'm beyond the original post:

Gangularis wrote:Yeah, I guess I was looking at it from too much of a personal perspective. That said, it would be nice if there was a more decked out package. You know, like phpbb3 GT!! I guess some people might make prehacked phpbb3's, but I haven't been able to find any, yet.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:10 pm

The whole point of phpBB is to provide a relatively lightweight solution you can build upon. Disable what you don't want, add what you do.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Flash Revenge

Post by Flash Revenge » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:09 am

I never really regretted changing to phpbb3. I had quite a few mods on my phpbb2 board but it wasn't until I upgraded that I noticed that I really didn't need them. I've hardly changed the features of my phpbb3 board apart from adding a shoutbox and a few minor tweaks. Also, a lot of mods for phpbb3 are being developed and many are being converted to phpbb3 so if you still think that you need things like a shoutbox and gallery for your forum then you can install mods to do that. The reason why these weren't included in phpbb3 is because not everyone requires them. I perfer to have a shoutbox on my forums but I certainly don't need a gallery and I'm sure that there are people who wouldn't want some of the mods i've installed on my forum.
I actually think that phpbb3 is balanced perfectly in terms of features.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”