phpBB built-in features

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

phpBB built-in features

Post by MGadAllah »

Hey

No one can deny that phpBB3 is a great peace of forum software that is really rich.

But I was really just been wondering regarding one simple thing which is:

Why the default and built-in features for phpBB3 is some how limited while it is included in other famous forum software.

I do not mean to copy other software or anything a like, but I mean some basic features like:

- Add user.
- QUick reply.
- Profile info
- Limited 3 quotes maximum in any post.
- ... and the list goes on.

I do like phpBB3 and I won't change to any other forum software, but it is just some basic things are not here and you can not have them unless you add a MOD for such a thing and you can imagine the pain if mod is not updated yet with new versions of phpBB3.

So I really quiriuos for the reason for such a thing?

I understand that every developer aim to have a unique peace of software that is really different and does not looks like any thing of its shape. And phpBB3 is really does.

But again I mean some basic features ....etc

And please do not get me wrong as I am really talking for the good of the phpBB3 and not myself.

I was anti-phpBB when it was in version 2 but no more after phpBB3 is out

So I hope that you got me correctly and tell me why as for sure me and other members want to have a comprehensive built-rich-features forum software.

Thanx
Would you like to know more about ISLAM ?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: phpBB built-in features

Post by KevC »

There's a fine line between what one person wants and thinks is missing and another person thinks is completely useless and bloated.

For instance, add user. I assume you mean allowing the admin to add users in the ACP. I have never been on a board or owned one that needs that. The quote limit can be changed in the post settings. Quick reply has been argued to death and the developers decided it was too much like a chat room so didn't implement it and I suspect never will. It's an easy MOD. I've got it on one board but not on 3 others. I much prefer being allowed to add it if I think it needs it.
MGadAllah wrote:- ... and the list goes on.
For you, yes. Not for many others. Seeing your other topics it's clear you are modding your board enormously. You obviously feel lots of things are missing. Conversely many people have not modded their boards at all.

You have to try and strike a happy medium between useful features and things which just make the board enormously complicated and bloated.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

MGadAllah wrote:- ... and the list goes on.
If the list of missing basic features goes on, then one has to wonder what people expect of open source bulletin board software. Open source software is, in part, about the freedom to modify, to adapt. I'm tempted, after hanging around here as long as I have, to think that a significant percentage of people who want more features in phpBB want it to be a free vB or IPB and not phpBB at all.

I have to confess, as I have often in the past, that because of my age, I look at all this differently. My first bulletin board participation was on an Atari 8-bit computer with a 40 column text display. It wasn't conducted on the Internet, and most of the BBS SysOps imposed connect time limits since they had a limited number of lines available to their boards. But the key is, in spite of nearly complete lack of features relative to today's Internet-driven BBSs, we had a great time both running and using discussion boards.

So I tend to be lean and conservative when it comes to bulletin board software. And on those occasions when I've needed something it wasn't realistic to do with phpBB, I use something else.

And I often wonder how it can be good for phpBB to make is bigger by a list that "goes on." I think of the existing workload of the relatively small phpBB teams as things are now and wonder how it would be good for them to add a significant number of features.

That said, as we all know (or have opportunity to know), phpBB 3.0 wasn't called Olympus for no reason. It will be interesting to see what 3.2 look like, since it will be the first real release of the software more or less free of the Mt. Olympus climb.
We should talk less, and say more.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

As Kevin said, the ability to limit nested quotes already exists.

And the place where the list goes on is in the MOD Database Releases forum.

Also, have you considered the support problems if every feature under the sun were added? Most users have enough difficulty using the basic package.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks for the fast and well explained replies guys.

Please I want to stay it clearly that I do love phpBB3 and I am not comparing it to any other forum software, and I am not saying or trying to say that I want phpBB to pick features from here and there and make them all in one place, but it seems that Kevin Clark was right when he said that these fatures maybe important for me and not for the rest of the people as of course different people has different taste and different needs as well.

I think I can see the picture from your point of view and I think it makes more sense according to your point of view, but I am not a coder at all and I am hardly do such a thing and the best thing I can do is editing following a read me file, so I was just wish to have something that have almost every thing I want without the need to mod or edit anything.

Yes I am moding the board some how a lot but it is not to make it looks like IPB or VB or any other forum software regarding its features but I am trying to just have something fits my needs. For example the add user mod I was really need it a lot to add some how a lot of users who were not able to correctly sign up due to a proxy issue, also the last reply title mod was need to let me and other people know the topic this last reply belongs to. Also the activities status mod was for the same reason to let me and staff know (and this feature does not exist in any other default install for any other forum software without a mod while it is really very important).

Please do not get me wrong or understand that I am trying to underestimate phpBB3 as I am not and I will continue using phpBB3 and I won't switch as it is really good forum software especially the support (clear and fast).

Also it seems that I am talking regarding something that has been discussed to death. So I understand the developers point of view now ;).

Thanks
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Admins can add users right now, for the occasional use you describe. Logout, Register, login, Activate.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

MGadAllah wrote:- Profile info
I am pretty sure we have that!
MGadAllah wrote:- Limited 3 quotes maximum in any post.
Limiting the number of quotes in a post makes comprehensible discussion difficult. With phpBB you can limit the number of nested quotes but not the number of quotes in a post, which defeats the point of a discussion board in the first place.
MGadAllah wrote:I do like phpBB3 and I won't change to any other forum software, but it is just some basic things are not here and you can not have them unless you add a MOD for such a thing and you can imagine the pain if mod is not updated yet with new versions of phpBB3.
You may consider them basic, I may not. Everyone has a different set of requirements, we cannot cater to everyone's needs. We also have ideas on what we do and do not want to implement into phpBB for a variety of reasons.
MGadAllah wrote:And please do not get me wrong as I am really talking for the good of the phpBB3 and not myself.
You are voicing your opinion, who says this is best for phpBB? But it would be better for you, so I think you might be biased.
MGadAllah wrote:I was anti-phpBB when it was in version 2 but no more after phpBB3 is out

So I hope that you got me correctly and tell me why as for sure me and other members want to have a comprehensive built-rich-features forum software.
If it doesn't do what you want don't use it. Or use MODs, its not like we hide anything from you.
Oops, looks like I exceeded your arbitrary 3 quotes per post. :(
Chris SmithGitHub
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

ToonArmy wrote:
MGadAllah wrote:And please do not get me wrong as I am really talking for the good of the phpBB3 and not myself.
You are voicing your opinion, who says this is best for phpBB? But it would be better for you, so I think you might be biased.
lol yes you are right :) :mrgreen: :lol: .
ToonArmy wrote:
MGadAllah wrote:I was anti-phpBB when it was in version 2 but no more after phpBB3 is out

If it doesn't do what you want don't use it. Or use MODs, its not like we hide anything from you.
Understood. Then I will use mod :roll: :cry: as I do not want to change. 8-) ;)
ToonArmy wrote:
Oops, looks like I exceeded your arbitrary 3 quotes per post. :(
Please tell me where exactly can I control it? as sometimes I want to quote more then 5 statments to comment on each one saparetly.

Thanks
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

If you want to include several quotes go to posting and click the quote buttons in the topic review below.
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

~edited~ ElbertF beat me to it :D
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks for all of you guys.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”