COPPA, modification of handling (legal)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Seather

COPPA, modification of handling (legal)

Post by Seather » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:17 pm

First off, i have put some effort into figuring out where i should post this, and this is the best i can do, sorry. In some ways this is on topic, some ways offtopic, sort of support, but not specifically 2 or 3.

Summary:
COPPA is annoying me, and i have come up with an idea to lessen the annoyance, but i'm not certain of the legality of it (this is the primary thing i want feedback on), and it might be an idea that many other people like

The annoyance:

Situation 1
user accidentally clicks the wrong age group, and ends up with email address + user name locked up

Situation 2
young user clicks on correct age group, complains to a admin when it appears to not be working correctly(but is technically correct) an admin then possibly decides activate the user? what if the user lies about age after telling the software the truth? vice versa? what if we delete user?

Because of the possible admin actions in Situation 2, my solution may end up resulting in a safer legal situation.

My simple solution(i'm uncertain about):
if the user picks the young age group, simply say, sorry you are too young, go away, or possibly say "some lame law is giving me problems with young people and most importantly people who click on the wrong age group, go away" (i don't allow them to register, but allow them to go back and choose a different age group)

tech: i will do a mod rewrite in a htaccess file that redirects any page with "coppa=1" in the url to my blocking page.(i'm not asking for help on this)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: COPPA, modification of handling (legal)

Post by Phil » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:00 pm

One should keep in mind that very few of us here are lawyers. As such, you'd be much better off seeking such legal advice from a lawyer, or at the very least a forum centered around US Internet law.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:30 pm

First, is your server in the US? If not, COPPA does not apply and you may turn it off.

Second, do you have material on your site targeted to those under 13? If not, COPPA does not apply and you may turn it off.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Pezzoni

Post by Pezzoni » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm

Unless your website contains content that is clearly demonstrated at under 13's, just turn COPPA off in the ACP.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”