SiteGround - Server Overload Problems

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
barryoneoff

Re: SiteGround - Server Overload Problems

Post by barryoneoff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 am

I've had no more problems since the last time (touch wood) but I think I found the cause of the problem. I had one poster who used the same smily over and over again in a single post. About a hundred mr angrys in one posting. Since I stopped this happening I haven't had the problem at all.
It may just be coincidence, but when the technical jargon from Siteground was saying something about repeated queries (cant remember the exact words) I wondered if the repeated smilies were related.
Click above to support St. Josephs Hospice.
Barryoneoff's London. ... City of London walks.

djp2

Post by djp2 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:16 am

Good to hear that you are still with SiteGround, gives me hope that I can stay as well. Their support is excellent and their product is also very reliable - just that I seem to be stretching the limits of affordability.

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 am

It sounds to me that they have very limited ressources for there shared hosting enviroment. AND that they really like to poke people to get them to pay more. One user a few posts futher up had a small forum 5-10 members online at peak hours and he also got the upgrade email saying he used to many ressources.

I would move away from there service asap. Service and honesty is number 1 in my book, this company doesnt seem to care much about either.

When searching for a new host try to make sure there shared plan got enough power for your site. I usually ask about concurrent mysql connections. With phpbb and shared hosting thats usually were the problem is in my experience.

Some shared hosting companies has 15 as a limit, other has 75, A huge diffrent if your paying the same price with the same amout of functions and service.

Good luck finding a new host.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

djp2

Post by djp2 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 pm

When I asked for the execution log I could see all of the calls to the phpBB scripts, the wordpress scripts, images etc - so it looked to me like they were genuinely indicating what was being executed so often. CPU usage, disk space and bandwidth are all way below the limit, but simply the number of executions of apache threads or "hits" if you like.

I think for the cost of shared hosting we should expect limits and as long as the host helps you see how your site is using resources we can have faith in them.

Plus how do you really know the next one will be better ?

reptileguy

Post by reptileguy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:35 pm

I've been with Siteground for almost three years but none of this has happened to me yet. Maybe my site is too small for them to notice. :roll: I'll watch this topic closely, though.

dnmouse

Post by dnmouse » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:30 am

I have had my site for almost 3 years, like others here they also said i was using to much cpu/account activations but i saw no more traffic, so whats going on, is it a scam or an error. (by the way im running a phbb3 forum and i dont think it applies to just running a basic website))
so i decided to clone my forum and place it on my home made server(with awstats) and send redirects from the original to it,
well heres the facts, bandwidth im using now for the same traffic is actually about 20% of what siteground said i was using with the same board on their server, and account executions are also a fraction of what they say and i mean just a small fraction, so whats going on, of course they could have a mysql error which is giving false readings, but that doesnt account for the bandwidth, ill let you draw your own conclusions, but i believe my own eyes more than what anyone tells me.

barryoneoff

Post by barryoneoff » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Is this blackmail or what? I just received this E-mail from them. Bear in mind that I have less than 150 registered members and only around 20 are really active.

Dear Barry,

As we have previously informed you, your account eastlondonforum.com consumes a very high percentage of the shared server CPU resources. We have already provided the possible options for you to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, your site remains too heavy for the shared server. It affects its overall performance and that is why we had to suspend it.

We can reactivate your account for a limited time of 7 days with a limited resource usage allowed, so that you can investigate what is causing the problem and take the necessary actions to optimize your website performance so that it is suitable for a shared hosting server.

However, since this is not the first time your account has endangered the overall performance of the shared server, you would need to pay a $50 reactivation fee before we can reactivate your account. To pay the fee, please use the link below:

I deleted the link for obvious reasons.

This fee covers the time and effort our system administrators spent on the investigation of your two CPU resource overusage cases. Paying this fee will also guarantee that you are willing to cooperate with us and find a permanent solution to this ongoing issue.

We do understand the inconvenience this issue may cause you, but please look at the situation from our point of view - your account has abused the shared server's resources more than once and as a result the performance of all accounts hosted on the server has been affected. In such cases we must take the necessary measures to protect all websites hosted on the server. This is a standard procedure used by all shared hosting providers.

If optimizing the website is not a suitable option for you, we can offer you one of our dedicated solutions (http://www.siteground.com/dedicated_solutions.htm) as an alternative. Each of our dedicated solutions will be much more suitable for your website and will provide you with exclusive server resources, needed by a website of this scale to function and grow freely.

We would like to remind you that as an existing SiteGround customer you will get a beneficial upgrade package including:

- No set up fees
- Free website content transfer from the shared server to the dedicated machine
- No website downtime during the upgrade

The upgrade process is simple and straightforward and you can order your dedicated solution upgrade immediately. To do that, please log in your SiteGround User Area and go to Order section-> Upgrade to Dedicated Solution option.

If neither solution is suitable for you, we can provide you with a backup of your account so that you can transfer your files to another server.

Please note that you have 30 calendar days after the suspension date within which you can request reactivation of your account, after this period we will be forced to terminate your account.

Thank you for your understanding. We hope this case will be solved in the best interest for both parties.

Best regards,
Marin Tashkov
System Administrator
SiteGround.com
Click above to support St. Josephs Hospice.
Barryoneoff's London. ... City of London walks.

djp2

Post by djp2 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Siteground seem professional enough and are serious enough about building a proper business that I don't believe that they would try to extort money from their customers. They want happy customers.

Part of the problem is that the hosting market is really cut throat, especially for low cost shared hosting solutions. All of the big players need to offer eye catching specials to attract customers, but what they can afford to offer for their small fees is limited.

I am shocked at how cheap these shared plans are - does anyone have a clue how expensive it is to have a location with power, CPUs, backup batteries, security, bandwidth, software etc. etc. etc.

The downside of the cut throat marketing, cheap plans and expensive resources is that you might end up with a product that is too small for you to use as you want.

I have a business account with SG, and a few shared plans and think overall they are fair. It is easy to feel jaded that you don't get much for a shared account though, but you actually do if your site is well behaved - like a small blog or quiet forum.

davidp.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 pm

I wonder how many "users" are located on one server? That is a question that they (any host) never answer.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:52 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:I wonder how many "users" are located on one server? That is a question that they (any host) never answer.
You have 25 and Barry Oneoff has 74 domains responding on same ip.

Google ip neighbours.
Signature is here

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Domains is not the same as users. Besides that, that it has the same IP does not mean directly it is on the same server.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

dnmouse

Post by dnmouse » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:40 am

Couple of things to reduce executions in phbb is to disable the search, and turn stuff off in acp on server load, and optimize mysql in phpmyadmin, use a robots.text file to get rid of robots/spiders etc, also ban ips that appear in honeypot.
However i do think they have a problem in that you are using double what you should be as i believe they have enabled database statistics for themselves only(mysql), its hard to tell because their phpmyadmin is nobled, but im convinced you/i dont use what they are saying you use, siteground is good in that it is cheap and would recommend to anyone if they just wanted a simple website, but for anything else like forums etc.. then you need to pay more, or even better why not run your site on your own home computer(its totally free as well), not for business though as its not allowed by most isp's and could be illegal.
Last edited by dnmouse on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dnmouse

Post by dnmouse » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 am

lurttinen wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:I wonder how many "users" are located on one server? That is a question that they (any host) never answer.
You have 25 and Barry Oneoff has 74 domains responding on same ip.

Google ip neighbours.
Well according to mine if ive done it right i have 419 neighbours (WTF)
Last edited by dnmouse on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:44 am

dnmouse wrote: Well according to mine if ive done it right i have 419 neighbours (WTF)
http://www.my-ip-neighbors.com/?domain=67.15.250.3
Now you can see how they can make it so cheap...
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:54 am

ric323 wrote:Now you can see how they can make it so cheap...
..and why people's sites have issues. IIRC, the term is "overselling".
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”