SiteGround - Server Overload Problems

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
barryoneoff

Re: SiteGround - Server Overload Problems

Post by barryoneoff »

I should imagine the top users will be my members who post a lot. Not much point having a forum if they cant keep it going with their posts. I'm in the process of changing hosts at the moment. Siteground seems to be getting a lot of bad reviews lately.
Click above to support St. Josephs Hospice.
Barryoneoff's London. ... City of London walks.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

dnmouse wrote:You dont need to be a tech genius, look at your awstats in control panel, find the high use ips their the ones at the top, and just copy and paste the ips in the ip deny manager also in cpanel, for robots.txt just create a file in your public_html folder called robots.txt with below in it, which will stop most robots.
Which assumes that the stats are correct...from barry's ticket he opened they stated that this was one of the IP's that was in the top five IP's of page requests.
206.53.91.xxx 428
which just happens to be my home address IP (a static one at that) and all I did was download index.php and index_body.html and remove some code. There is no way I/my IP generated that many page hits by downloading two files, uploading them and refreshing the style in the ACP.

I find the attached pretty humorous too.
siteground.png
siteground.png (11.53 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Could someone explain how you are supposed to have unlimited bandwidth but they limit your page requests (or at least gripe about it)? Seems to be a catch 22 situation.

So to summarize, they oversell their servers, they make promises to you in the marketing to entice you to sign up then they disrupt your account due to "violating" their TOS (eg, too many page requests, slow queries, eg.) all of which is probably their fault to begin with (by over selling the servers, eg).

Interestingly enough, there was also another ticket stating slow queries on Barry's account....from October 2009 and IIRC, he had removed no code between then and now. Somehow the server just magically decided (or their admins did) that he was using too many resources, but wasn't for the past 7 or so months?

I suppose you do get what you pay for.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you have to adjust your forum/site to suit your hosts needs, then find a different host. site5 tried the same type of thing with me as well a while back and I told them to, well you don't need to know the exact wording but you get the idea. ;)

UPDATE: How's this for a response
Bandwidth Only. You will ensure that neither you nor any of your End Users makes excessive or wasteful use of the Server to SiteGround's detriment or that of SiteGround's other customers. The terms "excessive" and "wasteful" are defined by our experience with similarly situated customers. This means that your use of our resources may not exceed that of similarly situated customers. Unlimited use applies to your use of web pages only (html, php, etc.), not for storage of movies, pictures or MP3 files. Specifically:

With regard to data traffic on Shared Hosting services, a Fair Use policy will apply. If the contents of your Space regularly generate more server traffic than is deemed acceptable by SiteGround, to the detriment of other SiteGround customers, SiteGround shall issue a warning by email to you, at the address you provided to SiteGround, in which SiteGround requests that you remove the contents or upgrade to a more suitable package. Excessive traffic may be caused by abnormally high traffic on your web pages or by powerful software solutions which you have installed on the Space. Our warning will also contain the terms and conditions for the appropriate solution which is capable of handling your prevailing level of traffic. If you do not comply with this warning within 5 business days, SiteGround reserves the right to terminate this TOS.
Quite funny really. :lol:
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
dnmouse

Post by dnmouse »

Well i think we all know what their like, just looking at my monthly bandwidth this month, and considering i have had a redirect to my new server for the last two weeks it says ive still used 6504.91/unlimited MB
this month, bear in mind im just running a forum and one index page and a couple of rpms that are only kbits in size, also it took a week before the cpu usage went to zero. (are my stats combined with someone else, i do wonder)
Yeh no doubt they have way too many accounts per server and although i dont agree with it, if we were running servers at their price we would probably do the same, maybe!. :roll:
But i actually think that they have a software/reporting problem, probably both, as i stated before, figures just dont appear to add up, wether they are aware of it, or care i dont know, but they should have alarm bells ringing by now! and threads like this will cost them more in revenue in the long run, than what they get by the few who upgrade as a result of it.

But thats just my opinion
reptileguy

Post by reptileguy »

Hi dnmouse and other Siteground users,
How does your traffic history compare to mine?
I like to have an idea when I should be expecting bandwidth problems. ;)
So far this month I've used 826.79 MB. Here is my stats for the past 12 months:
Attachments
bw-heosemys-year.png
bw-heosemys-year.png (16.52 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
dnmouse

Post by dnmouse »

reptileguy wrote:Hi dnmouse and other Siteground users,
How does your traffic history compare to mine?
I like to have an idea when I should be expecting bandwidth problems. ;)
So far this month I've used 826.79 MB. Here is my stats for the past 12 months:
I have just been looking at your site/forum, do not take offence but your site is very small and only has a few visitors at best a day, you probably are sitegrounds ideal customer, you dont need to worry about anything.
Last edited by dnmouse on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reptileguy

Post by reptileguy »

Yes, I'm way under the radar with around 100 unique visitors a day ;-)
The question remains: what is the 'shared server limit' for siteground users?
dnmouse

Post by dnmouse »

reptileguy wrote:Yes, I'm way under the radar with around 100 unique visitors a day ;-)
The question remains: what is the 'shared server limit' for siteground users?
Thats not an easy question to answer, and from my own experience her goes :roll: assuming that you dont have ips of the same ip constantly probing your site, eg robots, spammers and email accounts etc.. and you are just counting normal visitors, i reckon roughly you can have about 30 users on your forum per hour, this is assuming they dont use the search facility on your forum as it will seriously use lot of account executions in one go i believe, but it also depends what they are doing on your forum as well.
with strict control and all extra features turned off in your forum under acp/server load and gzip etc.. you could maybe get 40ish users per hour, well that was my limit and it was sailing close to the wind :roll: , they suspended mine when some spammers kept trawling, but to their credit they were qiuck to put it back on once i said i had banned the problem ips, but have since moved the forum to my home computer.
Sitegrounds cheap accounts are very good for the price, and should suit you for a good while yet!, but are not a long term solution if you want/get a large forum going in my opinion, i couldnt afford to pay extra to keep my forum going thats why i moved it home.

Hope that helps you a bit ;)
reptileguy

Post by reptileguy »

My forum won't get that big so I'll be sticking with Siteground.
barryoneoff

Post by barryoneoff »

I have transferred my site to a new host. They charged me $50 for help, and their advice was to get an expert to have a look!
I'll take this opportunity now to thank RMcGirr83, who spent many hours helping me out and transferring my forum. A thorough gentleman.
Click above to support St. Josephs Hospice.
Barryoneoff's London. ... City of London walks.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”