Discuss: phpBB 3.0.3 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Kim_Possible

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.0.3 released

Post by Kim_Possible »

Yes, I am stuck in v3.0.2 without help
Only if you are unwilling to open up the patch files and get your code changes from there.
Artack

Post by Artack »

I'm also use version 3.0.2
Same problem with automatic update
I create topic http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1296545 and asking developers to return full code changes type
Sunka, let's wait a little, may be dear developers return back code changes
Sunka

Post by Sunka »

Kim_Possible wrote:
Yes, I am stuck in v3.0.2 without help
Only if you are unwilling to open up the patch files and get your code changes from there.

Something like this (is there maybe harder way :roll: )

this.jpg
this.jpg (357.31 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

Right.

So you aren't "stuck," and you aren't "without help."

You just think the patch file method is less convenient. I agree. It is less convenient, but it works just fine. :)
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Kim_Possible wrote:Right.

So you aren't "stuck," and you aren't "without help."

You just think the patch file method is less convenient. I agree. It is less convenient, but it works just fine. :)
I do have to disagree here. You have not considered that there are a lot (a very lot) of users they do not have a clue about that and are maybe not willing to learn something more. :geek:
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

3Di wrote:and are maybe not willing to learn something more. :geek:
Having to learn to read a new file format is inconvenient, as I said . . .
Sunka

Post by Sunka »

Look, I do not want to fight like cat and dog about upgrading heavily moded forum, I want only to discuss about not being able to manually upgrade my forum like we could for previous version 3.0.0 ==> 3.0.1 ==> 3.0.2

Many, many boards are heavy modified, and many, many of them is stucked...

Let say for example, you are in my position, and screaming for help (like I do) and I give you code changes in incomprehensible format/way (in M. word for example), and tell you: There is your code change, you are not without help....how will you feel then?

If there is support for MODs, why there is not support board with MODs?
Let all of us have only Vanilla php forum...No MODs, no change in code at all...Who will choose then phpBB for forum in devolepment? No one!
Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible »

Sunka wrote:Let say for example, you are in my position, and screaming for help (like I do) and I give you code changes in incomprehensible format/way (in M. word for example), and tell you: There is your code change, you are not without help....how will you feel then?
If someone took their own unpaid time to offer me the code changes that I was asking them to give me for free, to allow me to do something that I couldn't do on my own, to operate a product that was also free . . . I'd feel grateful.

Sure, I may ask if I could have them in a different, more convenient, format. But I sure wouldn't "scream," and when they said, "no," I'd say "thank you" and figure out how to read the new format (or find someone else who will let me use their free product).
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

The code changes package has always been provided without support for phpBB3. This is because the automatic updater is perfectly capable of updating a board -- although it may seem time consuming to go through each of the conflicts and choose the correct action, it is no more time consuming than attempting to do all of the changes yourself. The reason the code changes package was pulled is because it cannot be accurately generated automatically -- there are certain aspects (e.g. "BEFORE ADD" vs "AFTER ADD") that must be made as a human decision. Therefore, it would have to be generated manually, and due to the size of the changes that would be very, very time consuming and very prone to error. Because of this, we have opted, for the time being, to not provide code changes. That being the case, should you not want to use the automatic updater, your choices are, essentially, to (a) learn how to read patch files and do it manually (it is really not that hard) or (b) utilize a patch tool to perform the changes automatically.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
DarkGod
I've Been Banned!

Post by DarkGod »

A_O_C wrote:if by next update you mean phpbb 3.0.4, then most likely. if by next update you mean the 3.2.x line, then as per Meik, it may be dropped. ;)
:shock:

I love subSilver. Its so much better than proSilver. My users use sub over pro, 7:3.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Sunka wrote:If there is support for MODs, why there is not support board with MODs?
Let all of us have only Vanilla php forum...No MODs, no change in code at all...Who will choose then phpBB for forum in devolepment? No one!
This is extreme. There are more than a few happy v3 board admins with moderately MODed boards, and the reason they are happy is because the developers have taken the phpBB update process up a notch (or three) at the same time as having created a bigger, better core product.

And I've seen evidence of MOD authors improving how their MODs interact with the core code, to the result that they play better with the automatic update process. This is to their credit, since the MOD community is a vital, active part of the phpBB experience. They ought to be given the courtesy of being allowed time and expereince enough for their MODs to mature in this way.

To be sure, the current situation isn't ideal, and I have yet to see a team member say it was. The developers have the task of making difficult decisions for the good of the whole that involve compromises and sometimes disappointments. If I were not confident that the developers as individuals and as a team really are trying to make phpBB as useful and as flexible as possible, I'd see reason to get extreme just to make the point. But I don't see that we're there.

Just my humble opinion.
We should talk less, and say more.
lefty74

Post by lefty74 »

iWisdom wrote:to (a) learn how to read patch files and do it manually (it is really not that hard)
i can vouch for that, i only looked at the patch files now for the first time as i wanted to see what the fuss is all about and i must admit if i did manual updating, i would probably prefer the patch files to inline after adds etc as i know exactly what the whole line should look like. there are only a few symbols you need to learn, !, + or - if i am not mistaken.

the way i normally do it is, using the auto updater, note down the conflicts, use the new code to merge and re-edit the files later.

i always do that on a copy of my board as well so that the live board is not offline too long.

this probably does not add value to the discussion but since i have typed it now i might as well post it :P
lefty74
zoocrew.eu - help us save our wildlife
My MODS | Due to lack of time I unfortunately am unable to work on my mods anymore, anyone who has ideas to improve them and would like to take any of them over, please PM me.
Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Post by Raimon »

DarkGod wrote:
A_O_C wrote:if by next update you mean phpbb 3.0.4, then most likely. if by next update you mean the 3.2.x line, then as per Meik, it may be dropped. ;)
:shock:

I love subSilver. Its so much better than proSilver. My users use sub over pro, 7:3.
Sorry to go offtopic.
But you might want to read the comment of Meik ; http://www.phpbb.com/blog/2008/09/19/lo ... omment-338 , IMO subsilver2 will live further, so don't worry ;)
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me @ www.raimon.nl for fair prices and good service!
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

subsilver2 I am sure will live on, but not from the default (vanilla) phpBB 3.2 package. However, this topic is not about phpBB 3.2, all releases of phpBB 3.0.x will have subsilver2 still supported. :)

If you have a highly modified board, you need to do and know a few things:
  1. A sizeable board and or a lot of modifications or tweaks done to a board should ALWAYS be tested on localhost before being uploaded live.
  2. Although not necessary, it helps to have your site contained in an SVN Repository if you have a lot of changes, modifications or tweaks to phpBB.
  3. Understand that unless you rewrite phpBB3, you should always be able to update your board, even if you have 100 MODs installed (which sounds to me more like an exaggeration than reality), more on how you can do this later.
  4. The Automatic Updater is able to take care of most update situations. Users should at least try to use the automatic updater on their board (testing it on their localhost first, of course), to see if it works. If it does not, you can resort to alternative methods.
  5. The Automatic Updater allows you to select the method in which you want your files merged, this is how you can merge your entire board with 100 MODs installed, you just need to select the options you need, and if all the MODs were done well, the Update process should perform relatively well with only a few hickups here or there.
  6. With the Automatic Updater provided, how can phpBB possibly make it any easier to update? Many say that they are “stuck” and blame us (phpBB), if that’s the case, how can we improve? We’re already providing an easy method for you to update, short of doing it for you.
  7. If the Automatic updater does not work, you can always assist your updating with the Code Changes and Patch Files packages.
  8. If something goes wrong and you are genuinely stuck, why not open a support topic? They may not do it for you, but they can provide you with the information you need to be able to update yourself. :)
Other methods you can use to update your board:
  1. Automatic Updater -- All users should use this method by default, only seeking alternatives if this option fails.
  2. Changed files package. -- tedious, users should not use this method to update, it is only provided as a reference for conflicts with the update process.
  3. Use a Diff/Merge application such as winmerge (for Windows) or FileMerge (for Mac), this should allow you to quickly merge all of your files. It’s not as fast as the Automatic updater, but works as an excellent alternative if the update via Automatic Updater failed.
  4. Along with using a Diff/Merge application, applying the Patch Files should make updating relatively simple from command line using a patch command.
  5. Use SVN Merge if you have your site within a Subversion Repository. This process should make merging and updating very simple indeed.
  6. Pay someone to update your board -- obviously if you have so many changes that all other options fail, and you don’t have the skill or expertise, nor the willingness to learn how to update your board, there is always this option. There are people out there that will update your board for you... for a fee.
You’re not stuck, you just have to think outside the box. :D
drumstix42

Post by drumstix42 »

There's always business to be found with those willing to update your site for a fee :)
Need a phpBB update or mod installed? PM me for any questions and pricing!
HostMonster.com (Unlimited Space, Unlimited Transfer, Unlimited Domains, $6.95/month )

Return to “phpBB Discussion”