Discuss: phpBB 3.0.3 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
A7bk.YA.Allah

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.0.3 released

Post by A7bk.YA.Allah » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi

I have a phpbb3.0.2 virson and I wanted to abdate my site to 3.0.3

I downloaded the pakage transfer from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3

and I ubloaded the files to my site

now the problem is when I call the link

http://www.as7abna.byethost31.com/insta ... update.php

it gives me there is something wrong

I trued to give permissions to files

all of them went fine but the cache file doesn'i except the permission 777.

also I want to know where should I go to update the sql?

and I didn't install any mods in the 3.0.2

wich pakage should I install?
please someone help me.

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Post by Raimon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:56 pm

@A7bk.YA.Allah
Try to read the reply of cherokee red, this topic is not a support topic ;
cherokee red wrote:Guys, please remember that this is a discussion topic and not a support topic. If you have any issues updating your forum, please post in the support forums and not there thanks :)
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

Post by DragonMaster1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:05 pm

I found the code changes here;

http://www.marshalrusty.com/phpBB/code_changes/

Have to wonder why these were removed???
Last edited by Phil on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change link to point to "official" package

SAFFLEUR

Post by SAFFLEUR » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 pm

DragonMaster1 wrote:I found the code changes here;

They were missing parts.

I upgraded using the Automatic system. No problem at all and I've got plenty of modifications on it.
Last edited by Phil on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change link to point to "official" package

DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:23 pm

SAFFLEUR wrote:
DragonMaster1 wrote:I found the code changes here;

They were missing parts.

I upgraded using the Automatic system. No problem at all and I've got plenty of modifications on it.
How hard could it be to just ADD what was missing???
Last edited by Phil on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update link to point to "official" location

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 pm

It would require reviewing the entire package, which is very time consuming.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Sunka

Post by Sunka » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:46 pm

I miss some words to express my self because english is not my mother language...
Nobody push me to choose phpBB for my forum...I am very happy with phpBB, but please let me have opinion of my own...
Where we will be going if all of us say it that phpBB is the most beautifull and the best board in the whole internet.
Only what I want to say is people without knowledge about php (like me) is stucked when they go to update their heavily modified boards.
Chance to mess board with automatic update or something like that is BIG....I am sure bigger problem is to update with automatic package then manually update.
Say what you want but many members with big boards (and I mean boards with many MODs) you left without support.
I know to install MODs, I know to ADD AFTER or to COPY - PASTE code but when do automatic package install and ther come to conflict lines I am lost...
Say what you want, but you are not fair to many members with no or little knowledge of php (like I am),
You say to buy someone to update my forum? I am not going to buy someone to update my forum if I have chance to update by my self...Now, in my opinion phpBB is not still FREE because if I want to update my forum, I have to pay someone...shame.

Shame is because you give us code changes, and another day you delete it.
I have a small pays for my work here in Croatia, I am not able to hire someone to update my forum.
Give update for Vanilla php board, and support only that way of clean board...where we are going?
Why you then have MODs subforums?
No, it is not OK for people with no knowledge of PHP computer language, it is not OK for people vith many MODs installed, it is not OK for people at all.
No passaran
www.pijanitvor.com

Gardening & Fishing - If you want, I will open english subforum for you ==> send me PM here ||

drumstix42

Post by drumstix42 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Believe me, it would take a long time to make a complete install file of code changes because there's just simply a ton of changes this version... and most of them are very small, but still important.

Just in the main PHP files changes, there's about 109 (I think I"m remembering correctly) files changed, with an average of 2-3 code changes per file.
Need a phpBB update or mod installed? PM me for any questions and pricing!
HostMonster.com (Unlimited Space, Unlimited Transfer, Unlimited Domains, $6.95/month )

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:53 pm

I really cannot understand why this has become such a big deal, really... :?
Let me tell you what I've done to perform an update on my localhost on a second forum that I have which has about 12 mods. Maybe this will help...
  • Download the automatic update package and copy to the correct directory
  • Begin the process and get to the point where it shows any conflicts (I totally did not care about files that had no conflicts and only needed to be merged; I thought they would be OK after the update and turned out that I was right- can't say this absolutely sure for everyone, though..
  • Note down the conflicting files (in my case there were 4 of them)
  • Use a diff tool like one of those HOL mentioned in his post (I personally use winmerge)
  • Find the diffs between your files and the same files from a vanilla installation, in case there aren't properly commented. Mark them with something like //mod addition
  • Rename your conflicting files to *.old and in place of them use vanilla files so that the automatic update will be able to update them easily
  • After the update is done take again those vanilla files (which now are in version 3.0.3) and using the diff tool, apply the changes noted as //mod addition. Don't do the changes manually- those tools mark differences and have the ability to copy each selected diff to the other file
  • You are done.. Upload the modded 3.0.3 files and bring your board back to life.. :D
Using this method, the update for my board took about half an hour... :D Much better than my last manual update which had taken about 2 1/2 hours..
In any case, even with more than 4 conflicting files that I had, this process should be much faster than an update using code changes...
So I don't get the whole situation here... :?
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:19 am

iWisdom wrote:It would require reviewing the entire package, which is very time consuming.
I would think that saving the biggest users of phpBB3 a LOT of time would kinna balance this out

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 am

DragonMaster1 wrote:
iWisdom wrote:It would require reviewing the entire package, which is very time consuming.
I would think that saving the biggest users of phpBB3 a LOT of time would kinna balance this out
Which is the entire point of the auto updater. Saves a load of time updating a pre-modded forum.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:49 am

DragonMaster1 wrote:
People should really not be using the Code Changes package, it’s there for a reference, NOT to be used as the basis for updating.
Updating should be done with the Automatic Updater, or manually via the Patch File. Both use a system to update, I don’t understand why some of you insist on spending enormous amounts of time manually updating with the Code Changes when you can and should be doing it automatically. :?

@Sunka, if you have any number of MODs installed and or you are worried about the Automatic Updater messing up your board, you NEED to use a localhost
We can only do so much hand-holding, as administrators, it’s easy to update your board, we provide a nice automated way to do it, so I don’t understand all the whining. :? What more can we possibly do?
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:50 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:
DragonMaster1 wrote:
Which is the entire point of the auto updater. Saves a load of time updating a pre-modded forum.
....unless of course, if numerous files have errors and then have to be manually examined to fix them IF possible

DragonMaster1

Post by DragonMaster1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:53 am

Just EXACTLY what is the BIG PROBLEM with releasing the change code???

It had to be used to create the auto updater so it HAS to be available....so what is SO HARD about making it available?

I know that many people would prefer that to searching through files with numerous errors that are extremely difficult to figure out what the problem change is..... :shock:

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:54 am

The code changes are not used to create the auto-updater.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Return to “phpBB Discussion”