How can phpBB be free?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Re: How can phpBB be free?

Post by Eelke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:23 pm

WWu777 wrote:W: But that's only on this site.
No it's not :) It's true for any piece of open source [software] out there.
Last edited by Eelke on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:38 pm

WWu777 wrote:I never thought of programming as "pure fun". I always thought of it as work.
You're likely not a programmer. The difference between having a job as a programmer and a job as say a jackhammer operator or (insert some other form of physical labor) is that it's not all that hard. As a programmer you tend to solve problems and have a chance to make something used and enjoyed by many and THAT'S why it's "fun". Of course there are those that don't like their jobs and wouldn't code for fun at all but I'd say for most of us programmers it's fun to see the fruits of our work especially since we're sitting on our butts while doing it! :lol:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 am

I second everything said in this topic. Why do we contribute our free time to phpBB? Because it has helped us out somewhere along the way, and so we have the desire to keep it going for the community, by helping others the way we have been helped. We each have a different way of contributing to the project, either by developing the software, testing it for bugs, offering support, writing MODs and Styles, and many others. I used to contribute to the community by writing (and later validating) MODs, now I contribute to the community by producing a podcast that covers the project and informs the community on it. We each have different ways that we can help to make phpBB and its surrounding community thrive.

It's just one more thing we can all do to help make the web, and the world, a better place. :D

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:27 am

WWu777 wrote:
iWisdom wrote:Actually, the Bertie is currently being sold right around the break-even cost, meaning we make no profit from it.
W: How can that be? The price for that bear is the most expensive I've ever seen for a teddy bear!
The clothing is entirely custom made (not just the phpBB logo). The Berties are currently only €18.00 or $23.50, which is definitely not very expensive. Everything above that is the postage charge.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

damsprivate

Post by damsprivate » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Fountain of Apples wrote:I second everything said in this topic. Why do we contribute our free time to phpBB? Because it has helped us out somewhere along the way, and so we have the desire to keep it going for the community, by helping others the way we have been helped. We each have a different way of contributing to the project, either by developing the software, testing it for bugs, offering support, writing MODs and Styles, and many others. I used to contribute to the community by writing (and later validating) MODs, now I contribute to the community by producing a podcast that covers the project and informs the community on it. We each have different ways that we can help to make phpBB and its surrounding community thrive.

It's just one more thing we can all do to help make the web, and the world, a better place. :D
yes.. but now im starting to think that helping others will olny add my warning.
and i started to make questions it make my warning even greater.i i maybe should try diffent way like staying away from this community to contribute to it . :cry:
binus university 2009 .
"did u know that 17 august ( when i join this forum ) is at Indonesia independence day ? "

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:26 pm

I don't think anyone here has a personal problem with you. It's just hard to understand you and what you're saying most of the time. Patience is a virtue that not many people have even though great effort is put into showing patience around here especially when we don't understand what the user is saying. Some alternative language phpBB boards exist so it may be better for you to get support in your native language first (do a Google search...there's one called phpbbindonesia although not officially sponsored by this site). That way you can express yourself better. Of course with that I'm not saying that you should leave this site and never come back...just trying to help your cause. ;-) If they can't help then we can try our best to understand you and help you.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:10 pm

damsprivate wrote:yes.. but now im starting to think that helping others will olny add my warning.
and i started to make questions it make my warning even greater.i i maybe should try diffent way like staying away from this community to contribute to it . :cry:
Helping others will not get you a warning, the problem is when you’re giving bad advise or bad support. It’s better to not post anything at all if you don’t know the answer to the question than it is to try and help them with bad or incorrect support. Giving bad support can be a serious issue in certain circumstances, that is why the Support Team takes it so seriously that people are giving good and correct support. If you can’t give good support, then it’s better to not.

Nobody is punished or warned for helping people, but when support is consistently bad or wrong it becomes a problem. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:15 pm

damsprivate - if you have any issues regarding warnings, you should contact the relevant Team Leader - http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule7c
Back on topic please :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:50 am

Highway of Life wrote:
WWu777 wrote:W: But that's only on this site. The programmers and support people don't get paid I heard. I never thought of programming as "pure fun". I always thought of it as work.
For some, it is something that was "fun" that became a "job", isn’t your dream job something that you enjoy doing for fun? ;)

There are many reasons that I give of my free time to work on phpBB, each team member has their own reasons, even if it is just because “they enjoy it”, and we all do.
W: Do you guys at least write off your time here on your taxes as "charity work" or "volunteer work"?

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 am

its for the love the the software. my return is the pleasure of being a part of something so great. what do you like to do for fun? why? do you try and find a way to write that off on your return or get paid? :?

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:21 am

WWu777 wrote:W: Do you guys at least write off your time here on your taxes as "charity work" or "volunteer work"?
I don't believe that is possible, as in most cases the charity organization (which phpBB is not) has to be officially registered with whatever government office is in charge of that kind of stuff. Even if that were not the case, the people who volunteer their time towards phpBB are scattered all over the world, where those kinds of write offs may not be possible in the first place.

Is it so hard to understand that there are people who like to help others for nothing in return ? Especially when it involves a project based around open source and other "open" and transparent principles. phpBB is only one of many such open source projects - there are tons of others which follow the general open source ideology.

It seems you are not familiar with any other open source projects/communities, otherwise you would not be so surprised at the way phpBB works. A lot of the proprietary closed-source for-profit software that you use daily, contains source code that was born in open source projects, but 'hijacked' by for-profit companies under different non-GPL licenses.

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:23 am

It would be illegal in the US to write off volunteer time as a charitable deduction on your taxes. And phpBB is not a qualified charitable organization so even monetary contributions, were they accepted by the organization, would not be tax deductible. So the answer is no. :)
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

BrentonEccles

Post by BrentonEccles » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:08 am

What incentive or reward does it's programmers get from it? Who profits here? I don't get it. Can anyone explain how phpBB can be free?
The notion that humans need an incentive such as profit to do something worthwhile is incredibly insulting.
"A church divided, is no church at all."
BrentonEccles.com

naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:15 pm

BrentonEccles wrote:
What incentive or reward does it's programmers get from it? Who profits here? I don't get it. Can anyone explain how phpBB can be free?
The notion that humans need an incentive such as profit to do something worthwhile is incredibly insulting.
No it's 100% correct. But such incentive or reward can be of different nature than financial profit. It's a lot about fun and happy users are kind of a reward as well ;-)
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

dellsystem
Former Team Member
Name: Wendy

Post by dellsystem » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:57 pm

BrentonEccles wrote:
That was actually one of the December SAT essay questions :lol: Are people naturally altruistic, or is everything done in the hope of reward? It's definitely an interesting topic, but perhaps tangential to this one ;)
There are many reasons that I give of my free time to work on phpBB, each team member has their own reasons, even if it is just because “they enjoy it”, and we all do.
"I enjoy it" is one of my reasons. Why, after all, do people play basketball non-professionally, or chess, or go skiing? Usually because they enjoy it, and/or because they like challenging themselves.
Former moderator and website team member | My MODs, and more (GitHub)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”