W3C validation and phpBB - is it worth it?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
classixuk

W3C validation and phpBB - is it worth it?

Post by classixuk »

I am writing this to garner response from the rest of you as to whether the W3C validation is actually even worth it anymore?

I mean, we can spend hours, days and weeks fixing "problems" in our templates and websites - by "problems", I mean problems for the W3C validation tool.

And what is it for? To satisfy a website and our inner geekiness.

Our users see no benefit whatsoever in my opinion.

Surely those hours, days and weeks would be much better spent providing new and exciting content for our end users?

Why should I waste my time with W3C validation when the big boys don't?

www.google.com - Result: 62 Errors, 8 warning(s)
http://news.google.com - Result: 1331 Errors, 105 warning(s)
www.youtube.com - Result: 67 Errors, 333 warning(s)
www.amazon.com - Result: 1436 Errors, 130 warning(s)
www.facebook.com - Result: 18 Errors, 6 warning(s)
www.myspace.com - Result: 80 Errors, 30 warning(s)
www.gaiaonline.com/forum - Result: 34 Errors, 30 warning(s)

So seriously, if these amazingly popular sites aren't validating - how will me spending all of my time making my site valid make it more successful?

I am beginning to think that validation is something only geeks with too much time and not enough web visitors can claim they "have" LOL.

:lol:
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: W3C validation and phpBB - is it worth it?

Post by 3Di »

classixuk wrote:validation is something only geeks with too much time and not enough web visitors can claim they "have"
that depends on the personal points of view, indeed. :)

I personally do not care about that, that does not means it is a good choice though. :geek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Suppose everybody played nicely the W3C recommendations rather than resisting or getting careless. Would the Web be a better place? That's the first question. If the answer is "No," then validation is useless. If the answer is "Yes," then it isn't useless.
We should talk less, and say more.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

SamG wrote:Suppose everybody played nicely the W3C recommendations rather than resisting or getting careless. Would the Web be a better place? That's the first question. If the answer is "No," then validation is useless. If the answer is "Yes," then it isn't useless.
If everyone played by the W3C standard, writing a web page and web browser would be invariably easier. There are thousands of lines of code in Firefox intended to try and understand someone's botched HTML.

Not sure if web content creators really care about how difficult it might be to maintain a browser, but I think it would be worth it.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
damsprivate

Post by damsprivate »

well if we dont use it, then firefox and friends will hard to read what we are trying to say to them.
do they ? :roll:
and w3c makes our website faster and lighter then a non w3c website.
but it do really hard to maintain it .
one more
w3c website are profesional made rather then non w3c website. ;)
binus university 2009 .
"did u know that 17 august ( when i join this forum ) is at Indonesia independence day ? "
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J »

I don't think that it is important to have a site which validates in the validator of w3c.

However I do think that you should consider the standards/guidelines which they have made when designing a site. As it will improve the accessibility of your site.

For example you should try to use the crrect html tags for the different pieces of content.

So follow guidelines: yes, validate in the validator: not nessecerily.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

The validator, of course, shouldn't be conisdered an end in itself. It's a tool to check and measure how well my work complies with the guidelines. I don't see a better way to do just that, personally. It doesn't have to be the W3C validator, but a more or less objective validation of my work is the shortest road to learning how to do it better, I think.
We should talk less, and say more.
jwxie

Post by jwxie »

Double_J wrote:I don't think that it is important to have a site which validates in the validator of w3c.

However I do think that you should consider the standards/guidelines which they have made when designing a site. As it will improve the accessibility of your site.

For example you should try to use the crrect html tags for the different pieces of content.

So follow guidelines: yes, validate in the validator: not nessecerily.
agree, my personal view: use it if you want to, get it for business purpose, worth a while
if they are fine codes, performance improves, why not?
but don't waste too much time on figuring out how to maintain that validation
i mean, to me, they aren't as important as being able to create something great
that validation is like debugging stage, or even after your debug stage
just like addon, i am sorry if i get anybody offensive, but to me, no, not worth it to go crazy about it
Ds !

Post by Ds ! »

I think it's important some how

just when your page is valid I think it will browse faster and will be completed with all Browser

:)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Ds ! wrote:I think it's important some how

just when your page is valid I think it will browse faster and will be completed with all Browser

:)
not really true at all.

one of the main problems is that browsers like internet exporer do not follow the w3c guidlines for how they deal with web pages so trying to validate and still make things cross browser compatible is often impossible.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Ds !

Post by Ds ! »

robert

really :shock:
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

Sadly not many people do use validation, but why not? Just because someone else corrects our mistakes (for example, browsers interpreting bad code for us) is not a reason to make the mistakes.

If it were any other programming language you would have to stick to doing things right or get compiler errors. I say there is really no reason NOT to follow the standard other than laziness. I'm trying to keep to the standard in all of my websites I build :)
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

MasterZ wrote:I'm trying to keep to the standard in all of my websites I build :)
same here. the MODs i have (both custom-built and MODs from phpbb) are all built to adhere to standards. i have run into a few snags, but i quickly fix my errors and recheck. for me, its knowing that my site follows the guidelines set forth, and thats the only reward i want. :D
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Ds ! wrote:robert

really :shock:

yes, really.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J »

MasterZ wrote:Sadly not many people do use validation, but why not? Just because someone else corrects our mistakes (for example, browsers interpreting bad code for us) is not a reason to make the mistakes.

If it were any other programming language you would have to stick to doing things right or get compiler errors. I say there is really no reason NOT to follow the standard other than laziness. I'm trying to keep to the standard in all of my websites I build :)
I use the validator from time to time, but sometimes it simply is undoable to keep your site valid...

For example a user can post a comment/post/reply or whatever is possible op your site, which is not valid.

When I want to include a youtube movie, the standard code which youtube supplies, is also not according to the standards. Now you can all put this back to the guidelines, but it just takes additional time, which it sometimes, in my opinion is not worth the effort.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”