[Discuss] phpBB 3.0.4 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Ectoman
Name: AJ Quick

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.0.4 released

Post by Ectoman »

rickymallory wrote:oh wow, just updated and you've gotta love this new feature....

instead of new posts getting a date/time stamp at first it now says how long since it was posted....

just made a post and it said in the last post column...

'Less than a minute ago'

it now says '5 minutes ago'

that feels so much cleaner and modernistic.
Mine does not do that.. is it something that needs to be changed in a template or something? Or in the Admin Panel?

EDIT: Found it..
Last edited by Ectoman on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

Post by DragonMaster1 »

A very big problem I see in updating IF you have installed certain mods is that some of them add things in to the individual lines of code as additions. This makes the auto-updater see these as an error.

In my manual update I also noticed that some of the mods added code lines that were between the new code additions. This also makes the update error.

It would seem that if we were to ever get past this point, that mods need to add their code as individual blocks or lines that don’t touch the base code in any way.

That way it would be easy just to run the updater and be done with it.

Currently I doubt that this is possible, but if the new updates were to code the coming changes to utilize mods in this way, then that would be the best of both worlds.

BTW....I do have backup boards that I test out everything on first. But even so, I spent over 8 hours solid doing the 303 & 304 manual additions. THEN I find that I have numerous errors. Most being with the ability to post and all posts being listed as made in the last hour. I could have saved a LOT of aggravation if I had just started on the base code and then re-added my mods one at a time to start with.....

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

actually, If I am not mistaken, the whole point of the auto updater is to help if you have MODs installed.
Otherwise you do not use it.

It will show you the differences in the files and give you a list of the files that need to be edited, etc.

But, I will agree that in many cases, it would probably be easier to simply reapply your MODs after overwriting the existing files.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Sforeign

Post by Sforeign »

I use my own style and thus have a lot of coding to do. However, the coding in this update is far more coding to do than I would like.

How important is this update? I mean will my board become inoperable without it?

Many thanks in advance.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

Sforeign wrote:How important is this update? I mean will my board become inoperable without it?
Acyd Burn wrote:Please note that we urge you to update. The versions we currently support here... phpBB 3.0.4
;)

steve841

Post by steve841 »

Well .. Trying to use the automatic update.

I unzipped the install folder to the phpbb3 directory... the board goes offline. I navigated to the install folder and browse the install page. I get the page but there is no update tab ?!?!?!?

Im using W2k3 and IIS 6.0 with phpbb3 on a virtual directory with a different name of course...

When using the Admin CP ...

I get the error message

Fatal installation error

index.php [ 399 ]

Module "" not accessible.

Suggestions?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

steve841 wrote:Well .. Trying to use the automatic update.

I unzipped the install folder to the phpbb3 directory... the board goes offline. I navigated to the install folder and browse the install page. I get the page but there is no update tab ?!?!?!?

Im using W2k3 and IIS 6.0 with phpbb3 on a virtual directory with a different name of course...

I get the error message

Fatal installation error

index.php [ 399 ]

Suggestions?
first thing to ask: do you have any MODs installed on your board?

if not, then do not use the autoupdater, just copy all new files over your existing files except for the config.php file.
then, in your browser, go to;
youdoamin.com/yourphpbb/install/database_update.php
then delete the install folder and you are done.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

steve841 wrote:Well .. Trying to use the automatic update.

I get the error message

Fatal installation error

index.php [ 399 ]

Suggestions?
iWisdom wrote:If you are in need of support, please post in the support forum. This topic is for discussion of the release only.

Bossman

Post by Bossman »

Highway of Life wrote:@Bossman, you can update from 3.0.2 directly to 3.0.4, see the download page for the update package. :)
Thanks a lot my friend :)
I really apreciate your time answering me ;)

obvios

Post by obvios »

hi there..
today i got this error...

PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 05BECE2F
No input file specified.

before this no error.. after upgrade to 3.0.4 i got this error..

is it a bug?

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

If you are in need of support, please post in the support forum. This topic is for discussion of the release only.
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

obvios

Post by obvios »

opsss.. sorry..

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX »

Bossman wrote:My forum is still on 3.0.02 version. Is possible to udpate directly to 04 version with the automatic update in order to mantain my (4) mods?
That's perfectly possible!

CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

ChriZathens wrote:I noticed one thing: After uploading the directory install/ using ftp and then visited my forum, before logging in, I did not see the familiar message that the board is unavailable..
I think that is what was happening upon existence of the install/ directory.. How come? Anything changed in the update files that won't trigger the relevant message? Not a very big problem, just curious...
I had something slightly different. The board was already upgraded (said 3.0.4 in the System tab) and I had deleted the install folder but was keeping the board offline a while to check things and fix things that were messed up, and I had 2 people log in somehow. I saw their names on the bottom of the index page. The red bar was still showing on the top of index page saying the board was disabled, and when I looked in Board Settings where it says Disable Board Yes/No it was still on Yes.

I noticed it said in the instructions that the automatic update might not complete on large boards.
README in automatic package 3.0.3 to 3.0.4 wrote: • Conversions may fail to complete on large boards under some hosts
• Updates may fail to complete on large update sets under some hosts
We had a major problem with this going from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2, the database update stalled and would not complete, but had no problem at all going from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4.

Thank you for this first-rate software and the support to run it.

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX »

CarolC1 wrote:I had something slightly different. The board was already upgraded (said 3.0.4 in the System tab) and I had deleted the install folder but was keeping the board offline a while to check things and fix things that were messed up, and I had 2 people log in somehow. I saw their names on the bottom of the index page. The red bar was still showing on the top of index page saying the board was disabled, and when I looked in Board Settings where it says Disable Board Yes/No it was still on Yes.
They were on the board (it is possible to log in while the board is disabled!) but all they saw was the disable message.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”