plugins??? 3.2??

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Gamer82

plugins??? 3.2??

Post by Gamer82 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:37 pm

I have recently been watching the SVN respiratory and noticed there is mention of a plug in system. Does this mean we will be able to upload files/install files right in the ACP in the future of phpbb. Or is it something else? Kind of like a mod installer.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: plugins??? 3.2??

Post by Phil » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:41 am

Development-related questions should be asked at Area51. That being said, phpBB 3.2 is more modularized (much more OOP), hence most of the base classes function as "plugins" instead of being tied into the rest of the script. This would allow me to lift phpBB 3.2's user and session class, for instance, for use in a personal project, without having all the forum-related bits floating about as well. It's not any type of automatic MOD installer or anything of the sort, to my knowledge.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:06 am

It does appear that they are going to get into plugins quite a bit (at least more than they said they would earlier). :)

For some reason I've not been able to receive any commit messages lately so I didn't even know anything has been changed for 3.2. So far it's looking awesome. :mrgreen:

iWisdom, this stuff was just added recently.

Code: Select all

if (phpbb::$plugins->function_inject(__FUNCTION__)) phpbb::$plugins->call_inject(__FUNCTION__, array('default', &$page_title, &$display_online_list));
I've not gotten a chance to try it out yet, but from the looks of it I can now setup a plugin class and tell the core to call a function of mine at that hook point.

Gamer82

Post by Gamer82 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 pm

Yeah it seems pretty neat. :o

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:25 pm

I tried installing it earlier, unfortunately it seems they are in the midst of updating everything with the new PHP5 classes and objects and the installer doesn't work anymore because it hasn't been updated yet. :(

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm

Yes, SVN is currently in an unworkable state due to that and the large merge Meik just completed. Given that it's still early in development, I wouldn't be extremely sure (speaking as someone watching trunk, not as a team member) that plugins and such will stay as they are currently. If you recall 2.2/3.0's development, nearly nothing stayed as it originally was when activity began in trunk.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:40 pm

iWisdom wrote:If you recall 2.2/3.0's development, nearly nothing stayed as it originally was when activity began in trunk.
lets just hope that it doesnt take 4+ years. i know there were numerous structural changes (code-wise and team-wise). :D

Phil
Former Team Member

Post by Phil » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 pm

As always, it will be ready when it is ready ;)

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:52 pm

i know that... it was a simple statement... :P

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 pm

iWisdom wrote:Given that it's still early in development, I wouldn't be extremely sure (speaking as someone watching trunk, not as a team member) that plugins and such will stay as they are currently. If you recall 2.2/3.0's development, nearly nothing stayed as it originally was when activity began in trunk.
There is a bit of a difference though. 3.0.x pretty much completely changed hands as to who was developing it part of the way through. 3.0.x is still quite messy in a few places and in some places are just plain scary. 3.2.x is going to have a lot of rewritten code in those areas and all around and unless something major happens likely the development crew won't change majorly over it's development. Plus 3.0.x was originally supposed to be an update to bring it to 2.2.x, but so much got changed that pretty much nothing was left of 2.0.x. :P

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:16 am

Well the main change is a completely new structure of the code, a smile is growing on my face seeing it evolve the last days :) phpBB3 was sure better than v2 and took the code a long way further, but as EXreaction said, some places are a weird combination of OOP, procedural and quite dirty code :)

If not plug-ins, I guess one thing will change, it will be much easier to step into the code and execute your scripts without directly editing the phpBB3 codebase.

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 pm

For commit notifications, please subscribe to the mailing list at code.phpbb.com :) If you already did i do not know what is wrong. :)

The plugins system as it is now in trunk is hopefully reflecting the final structure of it, syndicating plugins and hooks. In the acydburn branch there is a layout.txt file explaining the inner workings a bit... of course the system has it's downsides too. :)

It all comes down to test how feasable the current layout is and what needs to be changed to make it "work flawlessly and being easy".

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Acyd Burn wrote:For commit notifications, please subscribe to the mailing list at code.phpbb.com :) If you already did i do not know what is wrong. :)

The plugins system as it is now in trunk is hopefully reflecting the final structure of it, syndicating plugins and hooks. In the acydburn branch there is a layout.txt file explaining the inner workings a bit... of course the system has it's downsides too. :)

It all comes down to test how feasable the current layout is and what needs to be changed to make it "work flawlessly and being easy".
I've tried subscribing multiple times. I used to be subscribed, but all of a sudden it stopped as well. :(

Realisty

Post by Realisty » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 pm

EXreaction wrote: I've tried subscribing multiple times. I used to be subscribed, but all of a sudden it stopped as well. :(
Same problem here ..... i thought it was something wrong on my side but now i see that i'm not the only one :?

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm

One other thing that would be very cool for plugins is to allow each style to use the plugins system only when that style is loaded.

Stuff like that makes developing styles much more fun and gives great flexibility. For example you could output new stuff to the template that you need (say a URL or something) or if you add a hook with the post data before it is outputted you could perhaps change the date-time format to fit your exact style or anything you'd like.

If you set it up to check for and load a certain file from the template/theme/imageset if it existed, it would give the ability to modify the output just for that specific style instead of having to make a plugin that would alter it for every style.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”