[Discuss] Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: [Discuss] Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen

Post by Phil »

sciguy wrote:1. Is it accurate that our Email was only in that list if we were getting the newsletter? Should I be worried about getting spam on that email account?
The users table was also released, therefore the email account you used in your board profile was also leaked.
sciguy wrote:2. You said that we should change our passwords, but I thought that the passwords were only vulnerable if the user had not logged into the phpbb3 version of this site?
They are less vulnerable if they are not md5 (e.g. have been updated since this site was converted two years ago), but you should still change it, just to be sure if nothing else.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

sciguy

Post by sciguy »

OK, thanks for getting back to me :) Best of luck getting the site back to 100% And I hope you catch the guy who did this.
UltimateComputers.net
^A website and forum for computer building enthusiasts and newbs!^

alightner

Post by alightner »

Three cheers for the entire phpbb team!

hip hip hooray... Hip Hip Hooray... HIP HIP HOORAY!

No doubt you've all lost a lot of sleep, and I'm so glad things are getting back to normal now - I really appreciate your hard work :)

I have a question about two missing posts in one of my mod threads... It's not an immediate priority but I'm hoping they can be retrieved eventually. Please pm me for more details. Someone posted a question for me, and it took me the better part of the day to research the proper answer to their question, and I hope that research isn't lost forever.

Thanks!
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
Do not PM me with questions about my mods.
Support will only be given through the topic threads above.

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Everything that is going to be recovered has already been recovered.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

alightner

Post by alightner »

Bummer - as always AJD thanks for the fast response :D
My phpbb3 mods:
Calendar
User Attachment Quota
Do not PM me with questions about my mods.
Support will only be given through the topic threads above.

damienb2008

Post by damienb2008 »

Hey good to see you guys are getting back on track!

Hey here's a question, what was the blog that our info was posted on?

Damien

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

Yes! It is up!

I was browsing the knowledge base during the crash, and I am excited to get back to my work.

Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Glad it's back up. ;)

Al Knight

Post by Al Knight »

The public is frustrated :cry:
Everybody is prune to attacks, good job on making it back on your feet in a short time.
*hopes not to receive more spam emails*

madguy

Post by madguy »

phpBB.com is back! Yay! :D

And I can download the rank images I waited for! YAY! :D

However, it seems that your PHPList isn't working now... at least, when I try to subscribe, I get a 404 error. I hope that soon the site will restore to its normal state!

donn

Post by donn »

Greetings From The Maldives. Great to see .com back online. :)

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

madguy wrote:However, it seems that your PHPList isn't working now... at least, when I try to subscribe, I get a 404 error. I hope that soon the site will restore to its normal state!
Our PHPList installation is still offline for obvious reasons ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos »

I'll never understand what the motivation behind this is, given all the attacker used was 0-day exploit (ie. no skill).

Good to see the site's back online now though; and thankfully writing a secure mailing list script that intergrates with phpBB authentication is simple. :P (I just did the other week)

Green Light

Post by Green Light »

chAos wrote:I'll never understand what the motivation behind this is, given all the attacker used was 0-day exploit (ie. no skill).

Good to see the site's back online now though; and thankfully writing a secure mailing list script that intergrates with phpBB authentication is simple. :P (I just did the other week)
The nub who followed instructions on how to hack phpList A.K.A a nooby script kiddie w/ no experience in hacking.. wrote:And now it comes to an end, you may ask why did I do this? For fun mainly, but what I would like to suggest to the team at phpbb is this. If you are going to run third party scripts, either integrate them or keep up to date on their patches. (even though the patch wasn’t released for 2 weeks). Also don’t allow admin’s to recover their passwords, they should have to contact another admin. Another item, doesn’t keep plain text files of passwords or in the database plain text passwords.

I know this isn’t the best read, but it is very hard to look back on everything you did over the course of a few weeks. But hopefully I can now sleep better knowing that I am not worrying about the next way to break in.
This kid has almost no clue what he's talking about...
doesn’t keep plain text files of passwords or in the database plain text passwords

Eyecu

Post by Eyecu »

Welcome back phpbb. Awesome job all of the people involved have done. To have gone through the amount of information you guys had to in such a short period of time is testament to the dedication the team has to this project. I for one am grateful to the team and the project, and just want to say Thank You to all of the team and everyone involved throughout this whole ordeal.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”