PHPBB Book?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Truemedia

PHPBB Book?

Post by Truemedia »

I live in the UK, and since php is my favourite server scripting programming language, I wanted to buy some books for reference and learning. I have been learning to use php now for nearly 2 years, but back then (and still now) I find a book is easy reference, and helps a lot when coding.

A few weeks back I spotted a phpbb book on the internet from a UK bookstore (borders) and thought about buying it. Because it was for phpbb2 I decided to leave it, but I'm still after buying one just as long as it has the detailed info I need.

Does anyone know any PHPBB books published by anyone, or anywhere that sell them. Doesn't seem like theres any.

EDIT: There is plenty of great tutorials and code on this website, just wondered if there was any books that covered it all, or a section in-depth.
PM me about any topics I have made if you have any questions about them. I'm available for paid hire on creating mods and styles for phpBB, or configuration/installation - PM for quote
Other open source project forums I'm on: Area51
A_O_C

Re: PHPBB Book?

Post by A_O_C »

I know which book youre talknig about ("Creating Communities with phpBB"). Those type of books are basically the documentation with pictures and printed on paper. If you a looking to code for phpBB, I recomend a good book (I bought "Learning PHP5") and a look at the Coding Guidelines.
async28
I've Been Banned!

Post by async28 »

Maybe someone can compile whatever helpful discussion in this forum & put it in ebook.
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

I think that phpBB really is not so complex that an entire book is really justified. Maybe something that zooms into advanced modding, where every nook and crany of the system has to be discussed. As a regular user, that maybe does their own templates, installs a few mods and maybe even creates a few simple ones themselves, the available documentation is really more than adequate, from the technical point of view.

As for the "soft" side of running a bulletin board, I found "Managing Online Forums" by Patrick O'Keefe a tremendous resource. I have been running an online forum for five years now, and there was stuff for me to learn there. (Many things I was doing already, some things I was doing plain wrong, some things I had thought about but hadn't really figured out yet, some things I plainly didn't give any thought, etc.)
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks so much, Mr. Blok. That means a lot to me. :)

There were some very good books written for phpBB 2 (a few in English and one in German), but they wouldn't help too much with phpBB 3, unfortunately.

Thanks,

Patrick
Patrick O'Keefe - ManagingCommunities.com
"why don't you just sign up with Patrick and create the "anti-phpBB" brigade"
Truemedia

Post by Truemedia »

I already have a lot of web programming books. Mainly from the developers library series (www.informit.com/developerlibrary) which has a really good range of books for website programming languages (nothing on flash but apart from that really good and expensive).

I mean't something that covered using phpbb and modyfying it in great detail. I know there is a lot you can learn from the tutorials and forums, and modx stuff, but you can't really make a book with that (unless you print them out in a pdf format, or publish your own book, but that is a lot of hard work) which kinda creates another problem because you can't write a book on something you are trying to find out.
PM me about any topics I have made if you have any questions about them. I'm available for paid hire on creating mods and styles for phpBB, or configuration/installation - PM for quote
Other open source project forums I'm on: Area51
paud

Post by paud »

I did a quick search and there's at least one book already, but it's for phpBB2. It's called: Building Online Communities with phpBB.
Pau d'Arco, an herbal tea
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

if the object is to be able to read instructions on how to use/maintain/customize phpbb3, then you already have all you need right here.
why do you need a book?

I thought one of the main benefits of computers, was to eventually replace hard copies/books, etc.

I have 4 printers and have not had any of them hooked up in over a year.

I read on the computer, I save copies of things I may want to read later, etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I thought one of the main benefits of computers, was to eventually replace hard copies/books, etc.
Theoretically, yes. In practice, having to weed through all kinds of online resources to find the information you need, often turns out to be a lot more time consuming than just read a book on the topic, which tends to be much more concises and balanced, because someone has invested time in collecting and organizing the information already. Whether that "book" is printed on dead trees or stored electronically somehow is quite beside the point :) Whenever I need to learn something new, I also prefer to pick up a book on the subject, to give me enough of a head start so I can much more effectively use the online resources available. It gives you a head start in the learning curve, so to say :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Eelke wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I thought one of the main benefits of computers, was to eventually replace hard copies/books, etc.
Theoretically, yes. In practice, having to weed through all kinds of online resources to find the information you need, often turns out to be a lot more time consuming than just read a book on the topic, which tends to be much more concises and balanced, because someone has invested time in collecting and organizing the information already. Whether that "book" is printed on dead trees or stored electronically somehow is quite beside the point :) Whenever I need to learn something new, I also prefer to pick up a book on the subject, to give me enough of a head start so I can much more effectively use the online resources available. It gives you a head start in the learning curve, so to say :)
I don't disagree with that. However, we were talking about creating a book out of all the info found here on this site.
My point was, why bother? If for no other reason, you can't search a hard copy book for a string of characters ( words) like you can here.
In practice, having to weed through all kinds of online resources to find the information you need,
that is much easier on the net than it has ever been in the "real" world. then saving either the links to that information or the information itself so that you can access it at your wish, is another benefit of doing it the electronic way.

Dont' get me wrong, I have been an avid reader my entire life ( 58 years )and I have probably read thousands of books of all kinds.
However, I still believe that having information stored electronically is the way to go.

robert

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:However, we were talking about creating a book out of all the info found here on this site.
My point was, why bother?
Although that didn't really strike me as the primary point of that post (it struck me as a kind of disclaimer, in case someone would say, "if you like paper so much, just print the information" :)), yes, I can definately agree with that. It's not as if you'd curl up next to the fireplace to a bunch of printouts from various websites :)

In the "dead trees vs. bits and bytes" argument, I can mostly agree with you, although I think there are still a few hurdles to take; old-fashioned books still have some advantages over their electronic counterparts, at least to me.
Lumpy Burgertushie

yes, but could relegate the fireplace simulation to a smaller section of your screen, then you could read the text easier.

:D :D

robert

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

Copying posts (or even extracts of them) and making a book is actually against the copyright - unless you get ALL the posters to agree to passing copyright to you for that publication.

When people post to forums they give permission for the forum owner to display, but do not relinquish the copyright. So for that data to be published in another medium it would need explicit copyright passing to the 'author' of the book.

It makes the publication of any type of forum in real books almost impossible.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Aren't we digressing much too far? :) All the guy said was he could print (as in, on your home printer, nothing illegal about that, I believe) all the info, so he'd have a "book" (in the dead trees sense), but he already implied there wasn't much point to that :)

The question was, is there a good book on the internal workings of phpBB. Answer: no, unfortunately. You can get a long way with the available online documentation, though.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”