Spam Rules on These Forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
seaweed

Spam Rules on These Forums

Post by seaweed » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:26 am

I don't agree with the phpbb.com forum rules that prevent us from sharing our designs and sites with eachother. As a web developer, I love to look at what other people are working on for inspiration and ideas. That sort of collaboration leads to a lot of learning. Most of what I know about php/mysql I learned by reading others' code snippets and dissecting their code. I know spam is a problem but I think this greatly detracts from the community surrounding phpbb. Every other type of DEV forum, whether it is wordpress, Joomla, Facebook etc. all allow this. Who else to appreciate our hard work but other developers and builders? Just my 2 cents - lame.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Re: Spam Rules on These Forums

Post by ameeck » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:30 am

This rule was different quite some time ago and people were allowed to share their sites, the only thing that was achieved was making General discussion a show-off forum spammed with forums far and wide.

What about your users? Aren't they the ones for who you design and manage the site?

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:07 am

You're always welcome to add a link in your profile or add it in your signature. You can have up to 4 unique links there :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:34 am

ameeck wrote:This rule was different quite some time ago and people were allowed to share their sites, the only thing that was achieved was making General discussion a show-off forum spammed with forums far and wide.

What about your users? Aren't they the ones for who you design and manage the site?
My users could care less that I tweaked an ACP MOD or added some cool feature that they like, but could care less why it works how it does. Know what I mean?

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:35 am

Maybe we need a section on here where there's simply a list of user sites alphabetically or by date submitted. It's easy to flag them as spam if they are with the built in flag button.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 am

The issue is that there is no purpose for such links other than spam, per the definition of spam here. There are simply too many phpBB forums for there to be any coherent database of them.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 am

There is quite a good list here. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:36 am

Sharing links is definitely not banned on this site. As cherokee red said above, you are welcome to add your site's link in your signature. Users who are interested in seeing what your site looks like would only need to look as far as your signature.

As has been said, a show-off/criticism forum was available here some time ago, but was closed due to the nature of the discussions that took place there.

If you wish to get criticism on a particular style, then you are encouraged to start a style development topic in the Styles Forum. This will also allow you to share the style with other users of the community in the true spirit of open-source software. Similarly, if you have added an interesting feature, then you may put together a MOD package and start a MOD development topic.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:31 am

So why did this guy get his link deleted then? All he was doing was asking for help, and we can't help him if we can't see his site. This is certainly not int he interest of open source and sharing ideas. :roll:

Lastof

Post by Lastof » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:15 am

seaweed wrote:So why did this guy get his link deleted then? All he was doing was asking for help, and we can't help him if we can't see his site. This is certainly not int he interest of open source and sharing ideas. :roll:
1. It was a version 2 forum. Version 2 has been EOLed, and support is no longer available for it from here.
2. He posted in GD. Which the big red box at the top of clearly notes is "NOT a support forum for ANYTHING AT ALL"
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2011, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:50 am

Maybe part of the problem is the term "spam". It has a very strong negative association, and if you are accused of "spamming" if all you were trying to do is show off your hard work, I can imagine you get a little upset. Maybe "advertising" is a little more neutral term.

With that said, when you're enforcing board rules, the intention behind a post may be very important to the poster, but is something you, as a board maintainer, can't really take into account. If someone "advertises" their board by posting a link, they are not allowed to. If someone "shows off" by posting a link, they should be allowed to? Problem is, how do you know the difference? The first guy could easily say, "hey, just showing off :roll: ".

Anyway, from a practical point of view, I think there is an enormous amount of horrible sites out there. If I could take a swipe at how much sites would actually be of interest to me, because of a particularly nice design, or some clever added features (either by installing mods or homegrown), I'd guess it'd be 1% of all phpBB boards out there. The rest would either be standard installations, or horribly overbloated installations with every mod under the sun installed and with some horrible homegrown style or some third-party downloaded style (I can see those in the styles demo). Now, I think it is fair to assume that a "show-off links directory" or forum would have about the same signal-noise-ratio. Maybe a bit higher, because phpbb.com would naturally attract more "involved" people. If the amount of "signal" would be 5 times higher than in the world as a whole, there would still be 95% of stuff I would not be in the least bit interested in. I don't think anyone should invest time in maintaining something like that.

Maybe an idea could be to run some kind of "Featured sites" series on the phpBB.com blog. People can submit their sites and someone picks out the particularly nice ones and writes an article about it. Feel free, anyone, to run with that idea, because I personally do not have the time for that :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”