Any way to recommend MOD added to core product?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
mezzer99

Post by mezzer99 »

Is there a way to recommend/suggest a mod be added to the core product? There are some mods that are a little 'out there' but there are plenty that are a clear value add to phpbb. Is there anywhere where mere users like myself could suggest the inclusion of a mod into core phpbb?

Cheers.
Last edited by stickerboy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to phpBB Discussion
Central Florida Touch Rugby http://www.cfltouchrugby.com
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Re: Any way to recommend MOD added to core product?

Post by Kellanved »

MODs are never included into phpBB.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
mezzer99

Post by mezzer99 »

Kellanved wrote:MODs are never included into phpBB.
Any particular reason? I've worked on multi-million dollar projects many times on both the core and custom side and the ability to enhance the core product with standardised custom functionality has proved to be very beneficial ...
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

mezzer99 wrote:
Kellanved wrote:MODs are never included into phpBB.
Any particular reason?
There must be. My guess on it is that the phpBB Group wants to be solely responsible for all the code that is in the core product.

No matter the exact reason, it's a smart choice in my opinion, and I support it.

The only way a MOD gets added in is if the author of the MOD is also a phpBB Group developer. *Attach mod, ducks and runs*
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Dog Cow wrote:
The only way a MOD gets added in is if the author of the MOD is also a phpBB Group developer. *Attach mod, ducks and runs*
The attachMOD is complete different as what is in phpBB3 core ;). its complete rewritten.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
mezzer99

Post by mezzer99 »

Dog Cow wrote: There must be. My guess on it is that the phpBB Group wants to be solely responsible for all the code that is in the core product.

No matter the exact reason, it's a smart choice in my opinion, and I support it.
Doesn't seem like a particularly strong argument to me. The mod originator would have to 'cede' ownership to phpbb but the main benefit to them seems to be bragging rights so they'd be happy with that I would guess. The kind of mods I'm thinking of are things like the gender mod (birthdays are already available, why not gender?), avatar in the index, ACP Announcements Centre (a particularly good mod and totally beneficial as a phpbb standard).
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Most of the time it's just as easy for one of the developers to add the features themselves as it would be to find the mod, go through it, verify it works properly all the time, etc. You can suggest features, but don't say they should integrate mod X or mod Y. Although the code may meet the minimum requirements to be validated rarely do I see a mod getting close to what would be required for quality to be put in phpBB3.

Which is one of the main reasons I almost always build my own mods when I need them instead of coming here looking for them, even if there are already mods for them. The only time I'll use someone else's is when it is a huge mod that would take weeks or months to build.

Gender you can use the custom profile fields for.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

mezzer99 wrote:The mod originator would have to 'cede' ownership to phpbb but the main benefit to them seems to be bragging rights so they'd be happy with that I would guess.
That is a non-trivial task in itself.
mezzer99 wrote:The kind of mods I'm thinking of are things like the gender mod (birthdays are already available, why not gender?), avatar in the index, ACP Announcements Centre (a particularly good mod and totally beneficial as a phpbb standard).
Gender can be done with custom profile fields (as stated before), no idea why you would want your avatar on the index, not sure what the announcements centre does.
Chris SmithGitHub
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Paul wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:
The attachMOD is complete different as what is in phpBB3 core ;). its complete rewritten.
Yes, I realize that with the code differences in phpBB 2 and 3 it couldn't be the same thing... I was making a small joke. :)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
mezzer99

Post by mezzer99 »

EXreaction wrote:You can suggest features, but don't say they should integrate mod X or mod Y.
I think that's fair enough, its the functionality that is of interest, not the mod's specific code. I've not played with custom profile fields yet, Gender was a mod from 2.n that I used.
ToonArmy wrote:not sure what the announcements centre does.
Well you should take a look, its a great mod. Thornbury eh? is The Bowl still open? I worked in Aztec West for a couple of years before moving to Clifton (and from there to here in sunny Florida (actually its a bit cloudy at the mo)).
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

If you have something in mind that may be of great benefit to the software, that almost everyone would use and would like to have in it and put up a string argument to having it included, then you are always welcome to start a topic and gather feedback from the community and other team members/devs. If you good enough that you can create a patch, then you can submit a Bug Report to the appropriate tracks, with a patch. Of course it's still up to the devs if it gets included or not :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

It is not that changes and/or new features can not be suggested and will not be implemented.

You said MOD. That is what will not happen. If a MOD adds a good feature that the developers decide is needed, then it will be completely rewritten from scratch to work with phpbb.
There is a big difference between adding a MOD to the code and including a new feature even it the outcome is the same.

And, as always, what you think is a must have feature may not ever be thought about by anyone of the millions of phpbb users out there.

It is very, very subjective.

That is the beauty of phpbb, it is not "bloated" with a bunch of features that most people do not care about.

You can add your own if you want it but the rest of us do not have to deal with it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
mezzer99

Post by mezzer99 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:You said MOD. That is what will not happen. If a MOD adds a good feature that the developers decide is needed, then it will be completely rewritten from scratch to work with phpbb.
There is a big difference between adding a MOD to the code and including a new feature even it the outcome is the same.
I shall quote myself back at ye:
mezzer99 wrote:its the functionality that is of interest, not the mod's specific code.
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

Your topic title:
And Lumpy Burgertushie's answer:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:You said MOD. That is what will not happen. If a MOD adds a good feature that the developers decide is needed, then it will be completely rewritten from scratch to work with phpbb.
;)

There is a feature tracker, but if I remember correctly, it is not visited by the developers often (I dont even remember the soure-forge address).
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

A_O_C wrote:There is a feature tracker, but if I remember correctly, it is not visited by the developers often (I dont even remember the soure-forge address).
We do visit it, just extremely rarely. There is not much up for discussion feature wise in 3.2.
Chris SmithGitHub

Return to “phpBB Discussion”