Dreamweaver and phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Dog Cow

Re: Dreamweaver and phpBB

Post by Dog Cow »

Editing PHP files with Dreameeaver doesn't seem to be the best thing to do, but as long as you tell it not to rewrite HTML in .tpl files, then I think things get better. In any case, Dreamweaver does a lot more than just static HTML pages these days.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Dog Cow wrote:Editing PHP files with Dreameeaver doesn't seem to be the best thing to do, but as long as you tell it not to rewrite HTML in .tpl files, then I think things get better. In any case, Dreamweaver does a lot more than just static HTML pages these days.
but it still doesnt' do php and tpl files or phpbb's html files without sometimes inserting bits of code and/or corrupting them in some way.

therefore, it is just better to not suggest to the majority of phpbb users that they can use it or frontpage, etc. etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

-- moved from Support to Discussion.

The bottom line is, we have seen MANY problems caused by users editing phpBB files with DreamWeaver, not realising that it was making many other damaging modifications to the files.
While we acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE for an experienced user to use it without this happening, it's just too risky to be able to recommend it to anyone who is NOT experienced.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
ding

Post by ding »

Dog Cow wrote:Editing PHP files with Dreameeaver doesn't seem to be the best thing to do, but as long as you tell it not to rewrite HTML in .tpl files, then I think things get better. In any case, Dreamweaver does a lot more than just static HTML pages these days.
Where in CS4 can you check dreamweaver is writing in HTML without modifing the files. Is there a check you can do....?
pascal24

Post by pascal24 »

I Used dreamweaver, and... suddenly all my files where misformed... (weird numbers and al that poop)

Now I am using crimson editor, a lot better! :ugeek:
-Pascal

Support will not be given via PM, MSN or e-mail
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

ding wrote: Where in CS4 can you check dreamweaver is writing in HTML without modifing the files. Is there a check you can do....?
See here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver ... 7bdaa.html
ric323 wrote: The bottom line is, we have seen MANY problems caused by users editing phpBB files with DreamWeaver, not realising that it was making many other damaging modifications to the files.
While we acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE for an experienced user to use it without this happening, it's just too risky to be able to recommend it to anyone who is NOT experienced.
The solution for which is to inform the users, rather than pretend that the option doesn't exist.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Ishimaru Chiaki
Name: Caroline

Post by Ishimaru Chiaki »

ric323 wrote:Don't let DreamWeaver anywhere near your phpBB files, it will damage them. I'm serious!
Just upload phpBB to your website using a real FTP application that can be trusted not to modify the files.
Knowledge Base - Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB
+1

To explain this, I retranslate support-phpbb2's translation of the doc :
Important: don't use any WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor comme FrontPage, DreamWeaver or NVU, as those will do unwanted modifications of the template codes (by adding <head> tags inside overall_footer.html for example because it doesn't know it must be the bottom part!), then prevent your forum to work properly. Always use a plain text editor.
As someone-I-don't-remember-his-name already did, I recommend you to use Notepad++ to edit your file. In addition, I recommend you to use Filezilla to manage your FTP account.
And I just add a personal note : A few days ago, on the French (and only) support forum of a Belgian opensource forum script, there was a user who had much trouble chmodding one of his forum's folders with Dreamweaver, he couldn't even find how. So, I recommended him Filezilla and then, everything went fine after.
Find my phpBB3 and GIMP tutorials on http://ishimaru.pingveno.net (New address)
My DeviantArt gallery
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Dog Cow wrote:The solution for which is to inform the users, rather than pretend that the option doesn't exist.
I don't think anyone is pretending the option doesn't exist. However, warnings are being issued, because it is all too easy to screw up your template files (apparently). Would it be better if someone writes up a detailed explanation of how to set it up exactly? Sure. Is it anyone's obligation to do that instead of just saying, "watch out, it's easy to screw up"? Of course not.
william.jack38

Post by william.jack38 »

vanthien wrote:Hi,

Searched the archive, but came up empty on this one. I'm brand new to phpBB (and php), so forgive me if this sounds rather basic.
Dreamweaver is my pc-side software for managing my websites, and I use the synchronize function to keep everything in sync.

Just installed phpBB on my site and I'm wondering if I can, or should, "cloak" the phpBB3 folder?
For one thing, synchronization takes considerably longer than before, plus any changes to phpBB are done server-side, rather than pc-side.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Frank
Hey buddy, why you mix dreamwever with phpBB, its cause your server in danger. dont ever use this technique.
Lumpy Burgertushie

you might as well give up DogCow, the consensus here is to warn against their use, not teach people how to use them correctly, and I doubt that will ever change.
We can advise people to use certain things like text editors and ftp programs because that is the easiest and safest way to work with phpbb. However, we do not teach them how to use those programs. It is up to the individual to learn how to use a program that we advise against or for and that they choose to use or not.
:D :D

robert

dncollins

Post by dncollins »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:bottom line is that we have seen too many cases where DW had completely fried a board because of several different things. one of which is that it adds bits of code to any file that you open it with. you can not see the code but it is there.
Your apparent ethos is enough for this Dreamweaver user to take your advice, however, I'm reading this warning for the 1st time in 2010 after having naively read and put pack a few .php files (using DW) when adding a MOD in late 2009. Your warning "you can not see the code, but it is there" gives me the creeps.

Can you give any advice as to how one might expect to reveal any hidden gems deposited by DW?
Lumpy Burgertushie

dncollins wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:bottom line is that we have seen too many cases where DW had completely fried a board because of several different things. one of which is that it adds bits of code to any file that you open it with. you can not see the code but it is there.
Your apparent ethos is enough for this Dreamweaver user to take your advice, however, I'm reading this warning for the 1st time in 2010 after having naively read and put pack a few .php files (using DW) when adding a MOD in late 2009. Your warning "you can not see the code, but it is there" gives me the creeps.

Can you give any advice as to how one might expect to reveal any hidden gems deposited by DW?
the biggest thing is adding a space or line before the opening <?php tag.

also, it will save the file with what is called a "BOM" ( byte order mark )

If the php file is working then it does not have the space before the opening tag and it probably does not have the BOM.
if you run into a php file that is not working then you can open it in a good text editor that saves in UTF8 without BOM ( notepad++ and editpad lite are two examples ) and just save it. you don't have to make any changes unless you see a space or something before the opening tag.

so, just be aware that it could happen to any file you open in DW and don't use it for the php file mainly.

robert

dncollins

Post by dncollins »

Thanks -- I can check for the extra lines or spaces -- would you expect any problems if only a BOM was added

(I have to admit, I'm really surprised that adding white space before the opening <?php tag could do anything harmful ... I know that many older decoding engines required certain tokens to be the 1st character of a new line ... I guess I thought more modern engines like PHP (or the web server ?) avoided that restriction)

David
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

dncollins wrote:Thanks -- I can check for the extra lines or spaces -- would you expect any problems if only a BOM was added
If editing a language file you would get a debug error.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | My extensions are updated regularly on github
All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Not just that. Because PHP doesn't handle BOMs, a BOM simply looks like two characters that come in front of the <?php. Which will cause the infamous "Headers have already been sent" errors.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”