Questions regarding porting themes to another GPL forum

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Keyz

Questions regarding porting themes to another GPL forum

Post by Keyz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:23 am

Hello :)

As phpBB is GPL licensed, it's my understanding that it would be ok to port its theme/style to another GPL open source forum (in this case, Drupal's advanced forum module... both Drupal core and advanced forum are 100% GPL). You guys have some terrific designs, and I'd like to help out other open source projects as well that aren't so strong in that area. The theme wouldn't be identical (Drupal's forum isn't nearly as full featured as phpBB) though I'd like to use the theme as a solid basis to work with. I wanted to confirm a few details first though:

1) I'm sure the default style that's included with the download of phpBB is GPL licensed, though does this license also apply to other phpBB themes listed on phpbb.com, or are other themes able to specify their own different licensing? While browsing some themes I noticed that a few did specifically mention GPL, while others mentioned nothing about license. I know on drupal.org for instance, themes cannot be listed there at all unless they are released as GPL, though I'm not sure if the same kind of rule applies here. In any case, if I decide I'd like to port a 3rd party theme (even if it already says GPL) should I contact the author first?

2) I'd of course include credits/copyright in the source. Is there anything in particular I need to include?

Thanks! And keep up the great work with phpBB :)

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Re: Questions regarding porting themes to another GPL forum

Post by Raimon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi Keyz, welcome on phpBB.com :)
Keyz wrote:
1) I'm sure the default style that's included with the download of phpBB is GPL licensed, though does this license also apply to other phpBB themes listed on phpbb.com
Yes, all the styles that are validated by the phpBB Styles team and listed on our Styles Demo are GPL
or are other themes able to specify their own different licensing?
No that is not allowed , and such styles would not be added to our styles database.
While browsing some themes I noticed that a few did specifically mention GPL, while others mentioned nothing about license. I know on drupal.org for instance, themes cannot be listed there at all unless they are released as GPL, though I'm not sure if the same kind of rule applies here. In any case, if I decide I'd like to port a 3rd party theme (even if it already says GPL) should I contact the author first?
All of our styles that are released on our styles demo are GPL, and yes always ask the author first for permission if it is allowed to port the style :)
2) I'd of course include credits/copyright in the source. Is there anything in particular I need to include?

Thanks! And keep up the great work with phpBB :)
A back link is more then enough unless the style author of the style requires something else.

I will move this topic to the phpBB discussion for further discussion about GPL and phpBB and the use of phpBB source on other software :) .
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

mad-manne

Post by mad-manne » Mon May 18, 2009 7:42 am

Raimon wrote:
Keyz wrote:... if I decide I'd like to port a 3rd party theme (even if it already says GPL) should I contact the author first?
... and yes always ask the author first for permission if it is allowed to port the style :)
Hey there,
I just came across this topic, while searching about the "GPL-status" of phpBB-themes. Now I am wondering, why someone would have to ask a "GPLed-style's" author for permission to port it to something else :shock:
I do understand, that credit would be due, but as the styles are GPL, why should someone have to ask for permission to use it ??

Please don't get me wrong, I do consider it polite and correct to contact a style-author to let him know, that one was about to port his style, but still I don't see how he could forbid me to do so?

Hoping to find an answer ...
Cheers,
Manfred.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Mon May 18, 2009 8:41 am

Asking the author is like asking the father of the bride - manners dictate that one asks for consent ;)
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Wed May 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Raimon wrote:Hi Keyz, welcome on phpBB.com :)
Keyz wrote:
1) I'm sure the default style that's included with the download of phpBB is GPL licensed, though does this license also apply to other phpBB themes listed on phpbb.com
Yes, all the styles that are validated by the phpBB Styles team and listed on our Styles Demo are GPL
or are other themes able to specify their own different licensing?
No that is not allowed , and such styles would not be added to our styles database.
May I disagree on this point.

If you use materials from prosilver, then those are indeed GPL licensed.

However if I were to create a file(for example the images) which do not use any materials from the phpBB package, these are not per se GPL licensed it should be explicitly stated. And apart from that the submission policy does not state that styles which are submitted, need to be GPL licensed, in order to be accepted into the database.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Double_J wrote:However if I were to create a file(for example the images) which do not use any materials from the phpBB package, these are not per se GPL licensed it should be explicitly stated. And apart from that the submission policy does not state that styles which are submitted, need to be GPL licensed, in order to be accepted into the database.
Well they need to have a license permitting redistribution, perhaps the submission policy needs updating. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub

Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J » Wed May 20, 2009 10:37 pm

ToonArmy wrote:
Double_J wrote:However if I were to create a file(for example the images) which do not use any materials from the phpBB package, these are not per se GPL licensed it should be explicitly stated. And apart from that the submission policy does not state that styles which are submitted, need to be GPL licensed, in order to be accepted into the database.
Well they need to have a license permitting redistribution, perhaps the submission policy needs updating. ;)
My point is, that this redistrubution license does not need to be the GPL license, as stated by Raimon.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Thu May 21, 2009 2:32 am

Double_J wrote:My point is, that this redistrubution license does not need to be the GPL license, as stated by Raimon.
I got that, but I also suggested we might enforce GPL only in the database. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub

Return to “phpBB Discussion”