Spam PMs

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Spam PMs

Post by hewmac06 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:16 pm

I've no problems on my own forum, perhaps because I'm a regular reader on the advice issued on the topic Preventing Spam here at phpbb.

But one of the forums I subscribe to has been infiltrated in the last few days by a spammer who is PMing members with a link to a Viagara site. No big deal, but it's worth watching this loophole as something more sinister could be used as a link for the unwary.

Do a Google search using "profilicus profile" to see what I mean.

A question to those in the know, is this a bot?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Spam PMs

Post by stevemaury » Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 pm

There are numerous ways to prevent PM spam with permissions, primarily by disallowing multiple or group recipients, so the administrator of that site may just be lazy, or perhaps it is not a phpbb3 board.

This is not a support question, so I am moving it to phpbb Discussion.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Sat May 09, 2009 8:25 pm

There are other ways to get past the registration screen, which the Preventing Spam article won't help. If the spammer registered as a human first and then set off the bot then it is more than likely going to work until the administrator bans it.

However, securing the registration will stop 99% of the spam and only directed attacks towards your site will actually get in.

onehundredandtwo.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

bobble21

Post by bobble21 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 am

stevemaury wrote:There are numerous ways to prevent PM spam with permissions, primarily by disallowing multiple or group recipients, so the administrator of that site may just be lazy, or perhaps it is not a phpbb3 board.

This is not a support question, so I am moving it to phpbb Discussion.
I believe this 'profilicus' bot sent a PM to each individual member, starting at the first member on the member list (sorted on who registered first). Disallowing multiple or group recipients would not prevent this PM spam.

If a spammer did register successfully on the board (and, sure, the best way to defend against spam is to stop spam bots from registering in the first place) then it would be useful to have a setting that only members with a set post count (e.g. 1) can send PMs, particularly when combined with the post queue function. In fact regardless of spammers this seems a sensible rule to have available for a community based board. I believe that this is the only relevant Mod available for phpbb3 (are there others?) but would be good to see such a Mod as a future standard feature:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &p=9516005
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=3264

Return to “phpBB Discussion”