Question about databases

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Linda Carter

Question about databases

Post by Linda Carter » Thu May 14, 2009 3:23 pm

The scenario: Two different databases/forums, the same user can login in both, but when he is logged in the first (or second, it doesn't matter), the other will recognize his credentials and will not ask him to enter his name/password again. He will stay logged in both. Is that possible? I don't know, perhaps changing some cookie setting to force both places to recognize that user? My login from here (phpBB.com) valid on area51, for example.

I was thinking about large boards this week and I asked myself if there's no way to have a single forum splitted in two or more pieces. Look at the phpBB 2 archive, is it possible to leave only these forums in another DB file/location (mainly to waste less bandwith/server resources), and then leave the phpBB 3 stuff here? Or there's no way to do that, just like the opposite (merging different databases)?
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Question about databases

Post by stevemaury » Thu May 14, 2009 4:05 pm

There was this solution for version 2 - http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/share-m ... bb-boards/

Perhaps you can adapt it.

However, using permissions and the feature to use different styles for different forums, it is easy to make one forum look like two forums.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

onehundredandtwo

Re: Question about databases

Post by onehundredandtwo » Thu May 14, 2009 7:30 pm

There is a MOD here that does this, it is currently in RC, so it might even be worth the wait for the official release.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

Return to “phpBB Discussion”