No contact team member rule

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
User avatar
Dan27
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

No contact team member rule

Post by Dan27 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:49 pm

I really think this rule is pointless, I mean you may have a reason for it but there
is a reason against it that is very true.

It says in the rules, don't PM or E-mail team members because they could be helping people
out in the forums instead of reading support PMs.

Now a reason to go against this is: I look at the Who is online list a lot because I need support,
thats why I came here, and I have a look at the online list and nearly all team members have been inactive
viewing the index page for ages.

Now some people might say, well they have a life you know, yeah everyone does duhh...
but they are not doing anything at all just looking at a beautiful index page :P ;)

So I think you should get rid of this rule or get more Team members that are a bit more active.
Dan - Registered user.
Click here to visit my forum.

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Name: Chris Smith
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by ToonArmy » Wed May 27, 2009 3:52 pm

Not going to happen, support via PM is a silly idea. Also PMing us doesn't make us drop what we are doing to answer it. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub

User avatar
Josh
Former Team Member
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Location: Melbourne, AUS
Name: Josh Simpson
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by Josh » Wed May 27, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm sure that when they are viewing the "index page" they're not just sitting there.
Styles/Mod team members could be validating, developers would be doing what they do best, and so on..

I could only imagine how many PM's the team would get regardless of whether the "no PM support rule" was in place or not. :P
Josh Simpson- Formerly known as "HardStyle"
Styles: Submission Policy | Database | Knowledge Base | Demo
Please do not PM me for personal support.
Image

User avatar
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Posts: 2523
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:58 pm
Name: Andreas Fischer

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by bantu » Wed May 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Now a reason to go against this is: I look at the Who is online list a lot because I need support,
thats why I came here, and I have a look at the online list and nearly all team members have been inactive
viewing the index page for ages.
By the way, phpBB does show you "Viewing index page" when the user is viewing a forum you do not have access to. ;-)
Powered by Coffee

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 17060
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Fishkill, NY
Name: David Colón
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by DavidIQ » Wed May 27, 2009 4:12 pm

The answer is simple. There are only 52 members on teh team while the community has 350,000+ members, any of which can probably help you sometimes as much as any of us.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 7235
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by narqelion » Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Dan27 wrote:So I think you should get rid of this rule or get more Team members that are a bit more active.
You are assuming that only a Team member can help you. You know what they say about assumptions. ;)

User avatar
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Posts: 7349
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:27 pm
Location: Airdrie, UK (127.0.0.1)
Name: Kenny Cameron
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by stickerboy » Wed May 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Might seem pointless to you, but that's one rule I respect - being on the team myself not that long ago :) It's easy to answer an email or a PM, buy when you get the same email/pm sent you you 50 times by different users, it can get frustrating. if that question was asked and answered in the forums / IRC - thousands of people would benefit, not just one. Oh and finding more team members isn't as easy as you might think ;)

*edit* also like to agree with narquelion :geek:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by EXreaction » Wed May 27, 2009 6:16 pm

If I were on the support team and people sent me unwanted support requests via PM they'd instantly go on my foe list and I'd not help them in support topics or in the PM's they send.

As it is I currently only give support for certain cases via PM/email/IM and tell most people to ask in the support topic.
Last edited by EXreaction on Wed May 27, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AdamR
Former Team Member
Posts: 9731
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Name: Adam Reyher
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by AdamR » Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm

As someone who used to give private support (like 3 years ago), I can tell you it very quickly becomes a nightmare. For simple questions such as how to prune users, I could easily answer them without any wasted time. However, for more complex issues, it's far better to use the forum. It may be an issue people need to think about or research for a bit, and during that time other users can pitch in and help out.

By far the fastest way to get your question answered is the support forum. Private support simply wastes time.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

User avatar
Tom
Former Team Member
Posts: 2665
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:12 am
Name: Tom Catullo
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by Tom » Wed May 27, 2009 6:57 pm

iWisdom wrote an excellent Blog entry regarding why Team members don't give private support. Maybe if you give it a good read-over, you'll understand why we don't provide support via PM or e-mail. It also serves as a good archive for members who have the same problem if there is a topic answering their question that is already publicly posted in the Support Forums. Just trust us - we have good reasons for establishing that rule, and we don't intend on discarding it anytime soon. Just ask the Support Team. ;)
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

User avatar
Dan27
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by Dan27 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:06 pm

I understand E-Mails etc.. but PMs, well it is just stupid, you example, I need help with Evil's Posting
Template MOD, I have left a message in the topic, still no answer, I asked hours ago and I know for fact
because I was online watching him he was online. Now for another exmaple, I need help with a MOD, the
author of that MOD is a team member, I need support ASAP, if I can't PM them to get support then I have
to wait tiwce as logn maybe more and then my problem could progress to a larger scale.

I know this is off the subjuect, but another pointless rule, today I was PMed saying that my signature
was two long, I would have 100% agreed with it if say I had a picture that was massive, but it was because I
had 7 lines in my signature and the max is five...? That is stupid. Another: 6 hour bump rule, why six?

I have seen topics, sometimes mine and and sometimes others, someones post just gets dropped down the
forum page, and it keeps going and goin, till at one point it is off the first page, I bet all Team members
only look at page 1. Why is it six? Then you would make it 5, ok why 5? Why not 4 and so on. Instead of
having this stupid rule why don't you say you can only have two posts joinde together, that way people
can use this BUMP post whenever they like, instead of having to wait 6 hours, I don't know if you noticed but thats half day.

No offence to phpBB or anything, the software is great, the MODs, the Style... But the Team members are so
strict on these rules they are making this forum a living hell. If I was a bit more experianced in php code
because I admit I need to learn more which I am doing, I could probably run this whole site on my own.
No joke, I could run it on my own probably . I know I am on about the TMs a lot and I know that everyone else
can help out to but the Team members are here for a reason... urrmmmm to help us!

The .Com team members seriously need to get some more people on the team.
Dan - Registered user.
Click here to visit my forum.

User avatar
A_O_C
Registered User
Posts: 2383
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:26 pm
Location: phpbb_

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by A_O_C » Wed May 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Dan27 wrote:I need help with Evil's Posting Template MOD, I have left a message in the topic, still no answer, I asked hours ago and I know for fact because I was online watching him he was online.
You do realize that he is the MOD TEAM LEADER and has (for lack of a better phrase) "more important things to do"?


Dan27 wrote:today I was PMed saying that my signature was two long... because I had 7 lines in my signature and the max is five
Well I want 20 lines in my signature, but that would take up most of viewtopic. :roll:


Dan27 wrote:Another: 6 hour bump rule, why six?
(My guess is) so as to give users in different time zones a chance to answer a question.


Dan27 wrote:The .Com team members seriously need to get some more people on the team.
If they need more team members, I am sure they now how to handle it and will contact the appropriate users. ;)



I have yet to see any real good reason as to why support should be allowed through PMs.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69367
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by KevC » Wed May 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Dan27 wrote:I have seen topics, sometimes mine and and sometimes others, someones post just gets dropped down the
forum page, and it keeps going and goin, till at one point it is off the first page, I bet all Team members
only look at page 1.
Far from it actually.
We tend to go from about page 6 or 8, or we use the 'view new posts' option to see every new post since we last logged in.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Posts: 23099
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:08 pm
Name: Can't Remember

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by Pit$Bull » Wed May 27, 2009 8:25 pm

And you have what in your own signature "No support via PM or E-mail, use the forums."
:roll:

User avatar
Dan27
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: No contact team member rule

Post by Dan27 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:And you have what in your own signature "No support via PM or E-mail, use the forums."
:roll:

Huh? No I don't.
Dan - Registered user.
Click here to visit my forum.

Locked

Return to “phpBB Discussion”