Discuss: phpBB 3.0.5 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.0.5 released

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:53 am

It's an IE issue. That metatag forces IE to parse the page as if it were IE7, making it work correctly again. I assume it will be removed when the bug in IE8 is fixed.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

figo

Post by figo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:04 am

is it possible to get a FULL code changes pack???

As i have a forum that is heavily heavily modded. auto update package WILL not work. I have only used phpbb approved upgrades one should note.

But i have started using this software since 3.0.1 and have always used a FULL code changes pack. was easier for me as auto update does not work. and yes i currently use 3.0.4

Please please please, if anyone has the FULL Code changes pack or can make one , please post it here.

It would be quite dissapointing to not be able to update to the new pack just because i have a heavily modded board.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:27 am

The one I linked to on the previous page is as close as you're getting for the foreseeable future. The generated MODX file is too big to open in a browser.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

dotmike

Post by dotmike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:08 am

Is there a way to stop the redirect from the Automated package? I uploaded it but the index page has no update tab whatsoever, so I am going to do this manually. Unfortunantly I keep getting redirected to the install folder.

http://www.darkcouncil-online.com/porta ... /index.php

is what im talking about.

DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 am

Going to attempt to update using the auto-update package. Although I have never managed to perform a successful update to my board using it, but I have made backups in case anything goes wrong.

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 am

Many congrats in getting this released guys. I'll be attempting to update all my boards over the next few days :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

djdrageris

Post by djdrageris » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 am

hi all peoples i want ask when i upgrading phpbb 3.0.4 to-> 3.0.5 with moded files are

file.php
file.php.bak
which file i can edit? because i want to install new mods

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:17 am

I really can't understand why people are so dissapointed with the automatic update package.. I said before, i have about 30 mods and the package caused me no probs at all...
It is a rather simple and logical process:
If the updater reports no conflicts, then it should be OK... If there are conflicts just use a diff tool, see the differences, apply the changes manually and have the updater recheck the files. The next time no conflicts will be reported (conflicting files will seem already updated.)
In my case I had only 2 files conflicting, which means I manually edited ONLY 2 files. So I finished the update in 15 minutes...
Then it took me about 20 minutes to apply the language changes for my own language using the text file provided...
See the comparison here?
Automatic Update Package : 139 changed files - 10 minutes
Manual code changes: 13 files - 20 minutes...
Duh....
I really can't understand the complaints....
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 am

ChriZathens wrote:I really can't understand why people are so dissapointed with the automatic update package.. I said before, i have about 30 mods and the package caused me no probs at all...
They are disappointed because to chose to MOD the hell out of their boards (install every MOD under the sun), but not actually have the knowledge to maintain it. And that is the problem, not the auto-updater.
As have been said here before I haven't encountered a board that I couldn't updated with the updater (and yes I have a board I've MODded the hell out, a lot of custom code though no MODDB stuff). The updater will find conflicting lines and asks you what to do with those lines, if you here don't know what to do always let the updater change the conflicting block to the new phpBB code. This way the core will be updated correctly, please make a note for these lines/files and you can easily re-apply your MODs that may break in this process.
I think we all must be thankful that the devs provide the updater, cause otherwise it would just state "replace all old files with all new files" this would certainly break all your MODs ;).
But in the end it all comes down that you'll need some basic understanding of some techniques (diff/php/html) to successfully manage and update your board ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:52 am

djdrageris wrote:hi all peoples i want ask when i upgrading phpbb 3.0.4 to-> 3.0.5 with moded files are

file.php
file.php.bak
which file i can edit? because i want to install new mods
You need to edit the file what is mentioned in the MOD instructions, and thats probarly file.php.
File.php.bak is a backup file only.,
Please ask for further MOD support in the MOD support topic.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

net83it

Post by net83it » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:01 am

RoxRio wrote:
iWisdom wrote:Again, have you tried the patch file? That's the closest you can get (either running it and fixing conflicts or following the directions manually). As far as I know, there aren't any plans to release an official code changes package.
It's so sad. Forums with a lot of mods will have more difficult to install the new release. Do you understand what it mean? The pbpBB is making the the life of millions of people very hard, and because of this other ways can be found, like other forum system, more easy and friendly.

Today, phpBB is easy when the forum is simple, without mods. My forum have mods, the automatic update don't work, I tried to use the patch files, but I didn't understand anything. I don't know what code add, where add the codes: before or after etc.

Well, sorry about I wrote before, but I'll be very very sad if the full code changes don't be released.
don't worry. someone will release an unofficial full code changes package. it always happened on previous phpbb updates. we have to wait

DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:31 am

DJ Skitzo wrote:Going to attempt to update using the auto-update package. Although I have never managed to perform a successful update to my board using it, but I have made backups in case anything goes wrong.
WOW, I'v just successfully updated using the auto-updater. I only got 3 conflicts and those where just where I have renamed my index.php file to forum.php and it was trying to revert it back so I'v completed my update on my heavily modified website.

Well done to all of the Dev team on getting this release out and improving the auto-updated. :D

DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:33 am

net83it wrote:
RoxRio wrote:
iWisdom wrote:Again, have you tried the patch file? That's the closest you can get (either running it and fixing conflicts or following the directions manually). As far as I know, there aren't any plans to release an official code changes package.
It's so sad. Forums with a lot of mods will have more difficult to install the new release. Do you understand what it mean? The pbpBB is making the the life of millions of people very hard, and because of this other ways can be found, like other forum system, more easy and friendly.

Today, phpBB is easy when the forum is simple, without mods. My forum have mods, the automatic update don't work, I tried to use the patch files, but I didn't understand anything. I don't know what code add, where add the codes: before or after etc.

Well, sorry about I wrote before, but I'll be very very sad if the full code changes don't be released.
don't worry. someone will release an unofficial full code changes package. it always happened on previous phpbb updates. we have to wait
Someone has already posted a link to one, I believe it was iWisdom but I'm not 100% sure. You can find it less than 3 pages back.

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:35 am

ToonArmy wrote:
momentum wrote:
iWisdom wrote:Make a backup and give it another shot. Generally, the auto updater failing is a sign of the user picking the wrong action to resolve a conflict....
No. In my case the FTP transfer of changed files simply refused to work, leaving the update incomplete.

Craig.
We seem to have a regression there.
The "download changed files" option is still there and should be used. I also honestly think about not allowing the FTP function for the updater.

marc shake

Post by marc shake » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:57 am

Yay! Great to see this new release...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”