Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Dog Cow

Re: Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Post by Dog Cow »

The fact is, making phpBB isn't any of the developers' paid professions. If it were, then we would likely see different results.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
alahamdan

Post by alahamdan »

This is the first time since i installed phpbb i feel really happy with a new version.

This time i feel you started to think in some how a different way, after the long discussion about 3.0.6 held before!

I wish this new way of thinking reach WYSIWYG some day. or at least find better BBCODES system (easier to normal user).

Thanks for the great efforts. and nice changes.
Beasly

Post by Beasly »

Looks Awesome! Any clues as to when it is going to be released?
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

There's some clues in the thread. The most important clue is that the first release candidate has been released. There is likely to be at least one more release candidate. If instead of clues you meant, "when is it going to be released?", then the answer is, no one knows. When its ready :)
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

There will be at least one more Release Candidate for sure.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
playbboy

Post by playbboy »

this is great..!!
cant wait for the release..!!
much love for phpbb ;)
Daniel_L

Post by Daniel_L »

narqelion wrote:Well it's comforting to know I am still in the minority here. ;)

All due respect to the dev team, your work is appreciated but I have to be honest here. I am disappointed to see new features added without existing ones being finished or optimized. I would much rather the development team focused on completing existing features that are not fully fleshed out like,
  • ACP user management features to better manage users i.e. pruning of inactive members and those with a last login date of --, a 'Find a user' function for inactive users ...
I just began reading about 3.0.6 so sorry if I reply on a old message but I was also wondering if more options would be added to the Prune utility. Last year I was suggesting this little addon.
Successfully running phpBB 3 on an association website since Feb 25th of 2008.
I'm a voluntarily webmaster.
umarizal
Name: Leandro dos Santos

Post by umarizal »

SEO Mod in phpBB 3.0.6 is a dream?
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

umarizal wrote:SEO Mod in phpBB 3.0.6 is a dream?
Yes and such things will stay that way.
Chris SmithGitHub
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

umarizal wrote:SEO Mod in phpBB 3.0.6 is a dream?
:roll:

This has been discussed before (to great lengths too) - phpBB does fine with search engines, no need for a MOD.
ToonArmy wrote:Yes and such things will stay that way.
:lol:
TrZ

Post by TrZ »

Here's my little 2cents.....

Honestly speaking, many users want a QR added to the core. Truth is we don't need it.
The only people who want it, are the ones who want the "spammy" replies in topics. The "thanks", "lol", "+1", "cool" replies.
I honestly think that the Reply button and the posting page are all that's needed.

The syndication is really a plus, because most people actually do need it, it kinda is a necessity in these times, and I can understand why the dev team went with Atom instead of RSS2.0 feeds. After reading a few articles out there, I myself would rather prefer ATOM.

The other features that are to be included are also a plus in some cases.

But some things I would also like to see:
1. Ability to remove warnings in ACP (will help alot of admins imo.)

2. Showing of user ips in viewtopic to admins and mods (this isn't really something too big to add, and will greatly help the moderating staff.....and by extension a built-in IP-Search)

3. A built-in sitemap! This can only be good, nothing negative about it and its only 1 file to be added and 1 edit to make in the htaccess. It will help MANY admins and even if you can add some functionality where admins can decide which forums to include in the sitemap from in the ACP, it will be greatly appreciated.
There is already a sitemap mod out there from phpbb-seo but it's bloated in my honest opinion....too many edits and all that jazz. A simple per-forum sitemap and a general sitemap with links to the subforum sitemaps would be probably the best thing since sliced bread.....and WAY better than the QR.

4. these aren't really a necessity, but I think many here will find them very useful - an option in the MCP, to Reply to all selected topics, just like Move, Copy all. - An option in the Quick-Mod Tools to Lock AND move a topic to a trash forum (predefined in acp or something, or even if its just to move and you choose the destination forum then)

That's all for now.

But other than the above, WELL DONE to the dev team, I think 3.0.6 will be a hit, cant wait when 3.2 gets closer.
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

potku

Post by potku »

TrZ wrote:Here's my little 2cents.....

Honestly speaking, many users want a QR added to the core. Truth is we don't need it.
The only people who want it, are the ones who want the "spammy" replies in topics. The "thanks", "lol", "+1", "cool" replies.
This is incorrect.

We have one of the most civilized boards on the internet, yet many of our users use Primehalo's quick reply.

Why? Because it's one click easier. This is very common phenomenon on all discussion boards: if you can do something even slightly faster or easier, that's what you want. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I am sure what you said is true on many boards. I have seen boards like this, but obviously I don't visit them much. For this same reason the whole friend/foe function is almost unfathomable to me - but only almost, since I know there are boards where it comes handy, even if it would be insane to use that (we have the whole thing disabled, it just doesn't exist) on our board.

Blanket statements often (note: not always ;) ) require careful consideration.
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I can see how the reverse would be true, that QR may increase the number of one-word posts. But the idea that only people who make such posts would want QR is rather silly; it's a human characteristic to want to have things as easy as possible.
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

Why bother argue in the first place with something like that?
Along with QR, 3.0.6 also introduced minimum characters per post. So to avoid people from writing one word or one smilie nonsense you can simply set minimum characters to say 10 or 15...
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”