Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
potku

Re: Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Post by potku » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:18 am

ChriZathens wrote:Why bother argue in the first place with something like that?
Along with QR, 3.0.6 also introduced minimum characters per post. So to avoid people from writing one word or one smilie nonsense you can simply set minimum characters to say 10 or 15...
Good point.

However, not all one word or one smilie replies are nonsense. For example, if you have a topic about funny YouTube videos, then it would be a little overkill in my opinion to require 10-15 characters.
By the way, can this minimum character requirement be set per forum? How about per topic?

I can see where many of you are coming from. Most discussion boards - as far as I know, at least - are full of sheit, or if they are not full of it, there are many unwanted posters and behavior. There is a lot of hostility in the wonderful world of Internet discussions. All these restriction options are very useful for these kinds of boards. But bear in mind there are different kinds of boards, too. We will not apply this minimum character requirement, and yet we will have no more problems than before.

This is starting to go off-topic, but IMHO it is the moderation policy of the board that sets the boundaries, not the features of the software. The features can be helpful, but they rarely cure the disease, they only alleviate some of the symptoms for some of the time.

Just my 2 cents...
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:59 pm

The minimum characters is a global setting.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 am

I saw yesterday that RC3 is ready to be released :D
Logically, this will be the last RC...
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:18 am

ChriZathens wrote:Logically, this will be the last RC...
Based upon what logic? Every RC can potentially be the last one though if new problems arise (the devs are forced to commit changes to RC3), than there will be an RC4 ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 am

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
ChriZathens wrote:Logically, this will be the last RC...
Based upon what logic? Every RC can potentially be the last one though if new problems arise (the devs are forced to commit changes to RC3), than there will be an RC4 ;).
Just assumed that because I see no major problems with the existing one... So, logically even less will arise for RC3.
It was just a guess... ;)
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 am

3.0.0 had a total of 8 release candidates. So it's really hard to estimate. Especially with the larger amount of changes than usual, 3.0.6 will probably take longer to release.

The bottom line is that it's impossible to know.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three

arod-1

Post by arod-1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:54 pm

eviL<3 wrote:3.0.0 had a total of 8 release candidates. So it's really hard to estimate. Especially with the larger amount of changes than usual, 3.0.6 will probably take longer to release.

The bottom line is that it's impossible to know.
for sure it's impossible to know, but this does not mean someone can't make an informed guess.
however, such informed guess would typically be based on some metric other than "logic", such as number and severity of bugs fixed between rc1 and rc2, # and severity of fixes since rc2 release, number, severity and status of open issues, dev resource utilization etc.

usually, when there is "qa team", especially if this team has an individual functioning as "secretary", they would be in the best position to make this educated guess.

personally, i think that decision to go out with rc3 (if such a decision was indeed taken: an svn tag is an indicator, but is not really "proof"- we had "faux tags" in the past) signals a welcome shift in the development/release methodology.
unfortunately, i am not able any more to install test versions on local machine myself (@dayjob too demanding lately), but i hope enough people can, and that they are able to hash out all the major bugs and most of the minor ones.

kudos to the testers, the unsung heroes of the OS movement !

(and here i would like to repeat a request i made some time ago:
i think it would be nice if the changelog and the release announcement would contain a "reported by" on the bug fixes where this is appropriate.
giving credit to the reporter would not detract from the credit of the developer. some recognition with better exposure would be a small expression of gratitude to the people who put time and effort into the product and are not otherwise recognized)

peace.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:57 pm

ChriZathens wrote:I saw yesterday that RC3 is ready to be released
Is that so? Please tell me where you see this: (or a variation of it in the /tags repository)
Tag phpBB 3.0.6 Release Candidate 3
That commit (and only that commit) will signify that RC3 is ready to be released. ;)

Realisty

Post by Realisty » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:54 pm

A_O_C wrote:
ChriZathens wrote:I saw yesterday that RC3 is ready to be released
Is that so? Please tell me where you see this: (or a variation of it in the /tags repository)
That commit (and only that commit) will signify that RC3 is ready to be released. ;)
If you look in this commit :http://code.phpbb.com/repositories/revision/5/10205
then you can see several lines that refer to rc3 ;)

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Yes, they are preparing the release, but it usually takes a few days or even a week+ after being mentioned in SVN for the package to be released.

A_O_C

Post by A_O_C » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:18 pm

I saw that, but again,
A_O_C wrote:
That commit (and only that commit) will signify that RC3 is ready to be released.
Anyway,
eviL<3 wrote:3.0.0 had a total of 8 release candidates
I hope it doesn't go out that far, but if it means a more stable product, ehh. ;)

arod-1

Post by arod-1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:01 pm

A_O_C wrote:Anyway,
eviL<3 wrote:3.0.0 had a total of 8 release candidates
I hope it doesn't go out that far, but if it means a more stable product, ehh. ;)
that was different. with 3.0.0, the RC cycles varied in length, up to 2 months at times (and i think one of them was a single day... ;) )
total RC cycle (RC1-gold) for 3.0.0 was 203 days, averaging *almost* 4 weeks / RC.
with the current 2-weeks/RC tight schedule, even 8 cycles would be about half that.
not that i'm advocating (or predicting) 8, but i do not think it should be viewed as a disaster or some kind of failure if we *do* end up with 8.

with the change to the development process, i thing we should expect about 2-5 RC releases every time. this is (IMHO) a good thing, and has a potential for inducing larger participation of the community in the development process.

peace.

Fantail

Post by Fantail » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Up front I am mainly looking forward to the ATOM feeds feature. Yeah I can install the rss mod but having a fairly new install of 3.0.5 with x.6 around the corner I thought an update would go smoother on phpbb without any other mods installed as of yet. Also only two other styles. Luckily I have a busy October & November ahead, but .. err .. whens the eta on x.6? :mrgreen:

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Fantail wrote:November ahead, but .. err .. whens the eta on x.6? :mrgreen:
As usual the day after the day before its released ;).
eta's are never given for phpBB releases.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

TrZ

Post by TrZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:48 pm

potku wrote:
TrZ wrote:Here's my little 2cents.....

Honestly speaking, many users want a QR added to the core. Truth is we don't need it.
The only people who want it, are the ones who want the "spammy" replies in topics. The "thanks", "lol", "+1", "cool" replies.
This is incorrect.
Oops I realized that I may have phrased it wrong.....I should've said that many people, because we all know that the majority of the users out there do not have a striving board, and they do want the "spammy" posts.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my previous misguided phrasing.

now I can't wait for v4. :lol: , wanna see all the new stuff they're going to put in.....and to see how the code is going to be rewritten.(And yes I know it's a long way off lol :ugeek: )

Regards,
TrZ

Return to “phpBB Discussion”