Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom Catullo

Re: Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Post by Tom »

marksalehouse wrote:What I would like to see is the ability of Admin to read PM/emails on the board
I don't think we'll be seeing a feature like that anytime soon. If administrators had a direct way of viewing private messages from other users, then they wouldn't really be private messages. ;) Sure, a webmaster with access to the database can view private messages, but it would defeat the purpose if there was a way for administrators to view the contents of private messages within the forum.
Tom Catullo - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
leviatan21
Name: Gabriel

Post by leviatan21 »

Sajaki wrote:but one feature i would very much have welcomed is the integration of Automod
And also UMIL :D
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

leviatan21 wrote:
Sajaki wrote:but one feature i would very much have welcomed is the integration of Automod
And also UMIL :D
Neither will be included, if we did so we would need to release updates for phpBB to update those particular tools which we don't want to do. It gives the MOD team flexibility to release on their own schedule.
Chris SmithGitHub
Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I would find it really cool if you could define "forum leaders" and these can create subforums in their section :D
alhitary
Name: Basil Taha Alhitary

Post by alhitary »

1- show title of post in the index/main page is very good option
may enable/disable it by CP

2- Send 1st email by admin to new registers automatically is also a very nice touch to phpbb

is that possible ?
suitlocal

Post by suitlocal »

Double_J wrote:I have a small question regarding the feeds, I read that you are to use the ATOM format.

Is there a reason why you do not support the RSS2 format, or do not include the option to output this particular format?
i was wondering the same thing. mozilla thunderbird only supports RSS for example - it does not support ATOM.

also maybe a "Will show up in birthday listing" option could be added to the permission? that would be very nice when used with the "newly registered users" group. also it would be nice if select profile fields had permissions. like the Website profile field or the Signature profile field. i do not want new users to have either. and maybe people in the "newly registered users" group can be removed from the memberlist by means of a permission until such time that they are out of the "newly registered users" group.
wiseman1161980

Post by wiseman1161980 »

alhitary wrote:1- show title of post in the index/main page is very good option

I would like to see that feature as well.
jask
Translator
Name: Jan Skovsgaard

Post by jask »

This is really great news - a big thanks to dev team :)

Can't wait
Jan Skovsgaard • Danish language package maintainer • Olympus DK Team
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

With all of those new features and additions, why won't you guys just slap it as phpBB3.1? Though this may not be how phpBB has always run it, but this is a good marketing technique for phpBB3's public relations. That's how many other board companies like vB, IPB, and SM are doing. They add a little here and there with features. Then put a new layout or style. Boom! They name the software as the next upgraded one. :P This brings more hype, and more people want to look at it and want to use it.

So along with the new features and add the phpBB3 SE style into the package, you got yourself a new phpBB3 updated version, phpBB3.1. :D

My supportive reasons are as listed:
1. PhpBB3's public relations and popularity will jump a bit more, by a great possibility of increase in its download numbers if we bring its hype to state that the version to be 3.1. There will be greater attraction to phpBB3 software.
2. Version 3.1 will be good because not much is required of core code changes to move it to version 4.0 yet.
3. There are too many tiny features or simple features added and large enough of changes that it shouldn't rest at version 3.0.6.

Maybe the phpBB team has already discuss this issue behind doors. And I'm not a developer to understand the software version system. So with my simple minded-ness, I only hope to build up phpBB3's reputation and publicity.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by yexusbeliever on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

alhitary wrote:1- show title of post in the index/main page is very good option
It is always enabled prosilver just doesn't display it, that is a design choice won't be changing.

I said earlier that a strong and compelling argument for including a new feature in 3.0 is required. Just stating 'I want XYZ' is not a valid case to include XYZ.
Chris SmithGitHub
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

yexusbeliever wrote:With all of those new features and additions, why won't you guys just slap it as phpBB3.1? ?
phpBB follows the linux kernel versioning scheme (did I get the wording correct? :P). To that effect, 3.1 is marked as a development version. 3.2 would be the next logical step. Having 3.1 as a released version would cause quite a bit of upset in the way things work I imagine :)
Last edited by stickerboy on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

cherokee red wrote:
yexusbeliever wrote:With all of those new features and additions, why won't you guys just slap it as phpBB3.1? ?
phpBB follows the linux kernal versioning scheme (did I get the wording correct? :P). To that effect, 3.1 is marked as a development version. 3.2 would be the next logical step. Having 3.1 as a released version would cause quite a bit of upset in the way things work :)
True, but the phpBB community is very forgiving, especially in this case. :) I think we care more about the development of the software that this can be easily overlook.

Remember phpBB 2.1 or 2.2 was suddenly changed to phpBB 3.0? I guess we can do that again.
quahappy
Former Team Member
Name: Andy Green

Post by quahappy »

All the planned features are excellent news!

If I had to make one grumble (and I'm not one to grumble normally), is that the User Notes feature could be expanded on in terms of admin / mods being notified when new user note(s) are added to member(s), either via email or notification below header. Yes, there is already a MOD that works in a similar way except notification is displayed within a members profile in a post. Still could miss it.

Keep up the great work phpBB!!! :D
If you don't ask.....
Nailz

Post by Nailz »

People always complain about captcha not working against spam bots, ever since I added a secret question in custom fields, I've not had any problems with spammers, so why not add captcha with a secret question which admins can edit for themselves as standard on 3.0.6, even though can do this yourself now, it is complicated for new users to phpbb.
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

ToonArmy wrote:I said earlier that a strong and compelling argument for including a new feature in 3.0 is required. Just stating 'I want XYZ' is not a valid case to include XYZ.
I would be very interested to read the 'strong and compelling' argument presented that resulted in two completely new core features being added when there are already viable MOD options for both of them, as opposed to improving upon already introduced features where there really is no alternative workaround to their limitations. From an outsiders perspective, it does now appear that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. :o

Return to “phpBB Discussion”