Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Jaymie1989
Name: Jaymie

Re: Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Post by Jaymie1989 »

Hey,

I know alot of users want the function to remove a warning built in.
Dear creators of Sesame Street,
Kids are still fat. Can I come back now?
Sincerely, Cookie Monster.

View my MODs - Need phpBB help with MODs and Styles? Take a look at my phpBB3 services
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello,
I think quite similar to narqelion .

I thought phpBB3 is feature frozen. And we have to wait for Ascaraeus and to stress the MOD team members with big MODs adding basic features to phpBB3 while changing a lot of core files.
But now new gimmicks will the added to phpBB3. Okay new Gaptcha could be nice. But I have disabled captcha on my boards completely. There are better technics to prevent spam. And I don't mean the not serious and not professional looking question stuff. I mean DOUBLE ACTIVATION, the UTC -12 trick and a better use of DNSBL. The group management thing seems to be important. But IMO that's all. All other other things are just gimmicks. So I don't understand.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
japagun

Post by japagun »

this is fabulous ;)
vellatechie

Post by vellatechie »

SITEMAP !!!! Can you guys add this pls :mrgreen: .. If 3.0.6 phpbb have place for RSS and quick reply then i am sure you guys can put sitemaps in there as well.. For most of the forums these two things are enough as most of teh guys do not want to get into complicated seo mod stuff.. Site map is all i need now :D ...
yexusbeliever wrote:With all of those new features and additions, why won't you guys just slap it as phpBB3.1? Though this may not be how phpBB has always run it, but this is a good marketing technique for phpBB3's public relations. That's how many other board companies like vB, IPB, and SM are doing. They add a little here and there with features. Then put a new layout or style. Boom! They name the software as the next upgraded one. :P This brings more hype, and more people want to look at it and want to use it.
yeah i like this idea.. phpbb 3.0.6 + sitemaps = phpbb 3.1 :lol:

keep up the great work guys... cant wait for 3.0.6 :)
aquaanimus

Post by aquaanimus »

I think this sounds pretty neat. Of course it's another update for me to worry about... ACK! :shock: but I will be ok. I am glad the updates are spread far apart. I am new. One day i will get better!

As far as the quick reply, I have never been a huge fan over it. I use it on other boards because I keep hitting that option over the regular reply option. But I guess it's usefull if you do not have much to say.

Any idea how much the smiles might be cut down? I have quite a few on my board, and I have not noticed any trouble with them. But if they are going to be cut down, maybe I should start going through them.

Any idea how much?

Thanks

Theresa
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

narqelion wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:I said earlier that a strong and compelling argument for including a new feature in 3.0 is required. Just stating 'I want XYZ' is not a valid case to include XYZ.
I would be very interested to read the 'strong and compelling' argument presented that resulted in two completely new core features being added when there are already viable MOD options for both of them, as opposed to improving upon already introduced features where there really is no alternative workaround to their limitations. From an outsiders perspective, it does now appear that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. :o
The two new features you reference are quick reply and feeds I assume? Quick reply is hardly a completely new feature, its just the addition of a posting box on viewtopic with an ACP toggle. Feeds have been thrown around for ages, they may have been in 3.0 if the CCP was completed. It was discussed adding them to the core at Londonvasion, but we never found an implementation we were totally happy with.
Chris SmithGitHub
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

aquaanimus wrote:Any idea how much the smiles might be cut down? I have quite a few on my board, and I have not noticed any trouble with them. But if they are going to be cut down, maybe I should start going through them.

Any idea how much?
We are talking a few thousand, more than any sane person needs imo. ;) You will know if you get problems so its safe to say you don't.
Chris SmithGitHub
aquaanimus

Post by aquaanimus »

ToonArmy wrote:
aquaanimus wrote:Any idea how much the smiles might be cut down? I have quite a few on my board, and I have not noticed any trouble with them. But if they are going to be cut down, maybe I should start going through them.

Any idea how much?
We are talking a few thousand, more than any sane person needs imo. ;) You will know if you get problems so its safe to say you don't.

Oh I don't have that many. I think maybe a couple hundred. What kind of problems would be noticable with too many smilies?

Glad you will stil be keeping them around a few thousand. Yea, don't need all of those smiles, but they are fun. hahah I never cared before, but after I found out I COULD add them, I went nuts. hahah
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

aquaanimus wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:

Any idea how much?

Oh I don't have that many. I think maybe a couple hundred. What kind of problems would be noticable with too many smilies?
See http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/15051
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

ToonArmy wrote:The two new features you reference are quick reply and feeds I assume?
Yes, notice how easy it was to figure out what I was referring to? :P
ToonArmy wrote:Quick reply is hardly a completely new feature, its just the addition of a posting box on viewtopic with an ACP toggle. Feeds have been thrown around for ages, they may have been in 3.0 if the CCP was completed. It was discussed adding them to the core at Londonvasion, but we never found an implementation we were totally happy with.
Feature smeature, semantics my dear. ;)
This time, phpBB 3.0.6 will be a “feature” release, packed with numerous new, cool, stunning, breath-taking… err, just new features. ;) We will now tell you which new features are planned for 3.0.6 and what style authors and modders need to take care of.
Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:I think quite similar to narqelion . I thought phpBB3 is feature frozen.
Welcome to the club. You are the second member. ;) It appears 'feature frozen' is subjective. Personally I was quite happy when that meant that no new features would be added to 3.0.x. Perhaps a better analogy to explain my disappointment that this is not actually true:

My husband promises to build me a house. He digs a basement, lays the foundation, frames the walls, puts a roof on, runs electric & plumbing and says we can move in. What? no paint? no molding? where are my windows? what happened to the amenities? He then says he is moving on to build a garage. say what? I don't need a garage when my house isn't done. :P

May I ask if phpBB has a SRS for 3.0, or even a functional requirements document that is available to the community?
blackwatch_uk

Post by blackwatch_uk »

The RSS feed thingy sounds great to me, but can I ask a maybe stupid question, will this feature have any strain on shared host server? Thanks.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

narqelion wrote:
Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:I think quite similar to narqelion . I thought phpBB3 is feature frozen.
Welcome to the club. You are the second member. ;) It appears 'feature frozen' is subjective. Personally I was quite happy when that meant that no new features would be added to 3.0.x.
Features have been added already, template inheritance being one. The whole argument is rather pointless, we don't have to call it 3.0.6 if that would solve the problem. :P
narqelion wrote:May I ask if phpBB has a SRS for 3.0, or even a functional requirements document that is available to the community?
Nope.
Chris SmithGitHub
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello Chris,
thank you very much for the serious and helpfully answer.

Let's discuss about the number of smilies installed to our boards again!

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

This is fantastic news for phpBB. Especially the RSS/ATOM Feeds. That is probably one of the biggest complaints I hear from professionals about phpBB. QuickReply being a highly requested community feature, it's nice to see that got added.

The pagination thing for smilies is nice because one of my boards smilies directory contains hundreds of smilies, sure they are not all in actual use (only about 20 or so are), but it takes an eternity for the page to load with them.

Those are the good pieces of news.
What worries me is how long it will take to get 3.0.6 released. 3.0.5 took an eternity as it was, and it mostly contained bug fixes and a few minor changes. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

suitlocal wrote:
Double_J wrote:I have a small question regarding the feeds, I read that you are to use the ATOM format.

Is there a reason why you do not support the RSS2 format, or do not include the option to output this particular format?
i was wondering the same thing. mozilla thunderbird only supports RSS for example - it does not support ATOM.
Huh? Double-huh? Thunderbird, when feed support was enabled, worked with RSS and Atom. The UI is a misnomer and says just "RSS".
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信

Return to “phpBB Discussion”