Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Post by narqelion »

ToonArmy wrote:Features have been added already, template inheritance being one.
Frankly as I did not even convert to 3 until 3.0.4 that never concerned me. Now that I have converted everything to 3.0.4, changes from that point on do concern me. ;)
ToonArmy wrote:The whole argument is rather pointless, we don't have to call it 3.0.6 if that would solve the problem. :P
I do not see how my opinion is pointless when this topic was created to discuss the announcement. If you didn't want my feedback or more specifically only wanted positive feedback that should have been clearly stated. :| I am disappointed with this announcement and I have expressed my opinion that as a user I would prefer the development efforts be focused on improving and optimizing what is already introduced rather than adding new functionality. If you think changing the version numbering 'solves the problem' then you are completely missing my point.
ToonArmy wrote:Nope.
Nope it doesn't have one or nope it's not available to the community? :?
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

One little thing I'd like to see with talking about sorting logs is showing only logs from a certain IP address or username.
alienbabeltech

Post by alienbabeltech »

quick reply is the most wonderful feature in that. Now lets add quick edit too :D
This is the best and most helpful community I have been on. You are some of the best people I have met. GOD Bless You ALL !
My Forum - http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/index.php
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello,
phpBB3 supports the installation of multiple language packs so I want to see: Browser language detection for guest users .
A very sure way to fight against spam accounts is DOUBLE ACTIVATION. Captcha will not be needed for this anymore in combination with this MOD:
A very good way to fight against spammer guest postings (and spam registrations!) is a better way of using DNSBL (perhaps in combination with CAPTCHA or without CAPTCHA. But I haven't tested it. I haven't guest posting allowed on any of my boards).
I want to be able to prune users never been active to prune spam accounts.
I want to be able to prune deactivated, inactive, lost and zero posts users automatically.

IMO these are some of really needed basic or core functions.

I don't understand the way features been weighted. Are only gimmicks important by the number of downloads?
phpBB2 was a very serious looking and working software. But for board users it was missing a lot of very important features like category hierarchy.
In phpBB3 I'm missing really needed webmaster and administrator features and user friendly anti-spam technics.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
Element_Five

Post by Element_Five »

Damn, cant wait :)
suitlocal

Post by suitlocal »

i want [ code] to work too. i want to parse template variables in bbcode, i want to group management to be enhanced permissions to be enhanced and module management to be enhanced. but i also realise that if phpbb were to do all that that it would probably be many years before we see another release.

i will take what i can get and i hope the phpbb devs do not decide to cancel all these planned features to truly make it feature frozen just to shut complainers up.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:A very sure way to fight against spam accounts is DOUBLE ACTIVATION.
That takes the burden of proof off the client and onto the administrator, causing additional work. Work I would not want if I was a site admin if there were viable alternatives, customised CAPTCHAs etc.
Chris SmithGitHub
Martin Truckenbrodt

Hello Chris alias ToonArmy,
so why ADMIN ACTIVATION is included to phpBB3?
And your point is not true for the most of the boards. Perhaps for phpbb.com it would be true or for other boards with more than 10 or 50 of good regsitrations per day (related to the number of administrators).
Then using the Advanced Block MOD perhaps you can set it back to EMAIL ACTIVATION. I haven't tested it by now. I have two boards there spammers are trying to register without any success. And I don't need CAPTCHA or required custom profile fileds or things like ACTIVATION JUSTIFICATION (IMO the most serious MOD for this way to prevent SPAM).
But at the moment most spammers are blocked by the simple UTC-12 trick.

Bye Martin
Last edited by Martin Truckenbrodt on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

It's bold, it's radical, and I like it! 8-)

The blog post could have been a "poisson d'avril" had it been posted on any other day. Quick Reply... oh, my! :o

I wonder what the motive behind of all of this was. Did this all have anything to do with TerraFrost recently joining?
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:so why ADMIN ACTIVATION is included to phpBB3?
For those that want to do the hard work themselves, or require a much finer grained control over who is on their board. Proposing it as a solution to spam while effective brings with it an a huge inconvenience to legitimate users and administrators alike. End of discussion on that.
Chris SmithGitHub
Martin Truckenbrodt

Hi ToonArmy,
but the users registering can use faked email addresses when ADMIN_ACTIVATION is enabled. Just let webmasters and administrators decide which way of regsitration they want to use! But one really very basic option still is missing: DOUBLE ACTIVATION.

What's the matter with the other features I'm missing?

I know that they are not very popular. But what's your aim? To program a very popular software containing a lot of nice looking and very popular gimmicks to bring the BB system to be a newsgroup or a chat system? Or to program a complete BB solution containing all needed basic functions?

And you are telling me phpBB3 is feature frozen then I was bug tracking and publishing the Prune Users Neven Been Active MOD. This is a bugfix.

So now I wll finish the discussion, too. Love & Peace for all!

Bye Martin
My MODs
chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 »

Very much appreciated being told in advance of what to expect.

Still live for the day that there is an ACP option to move data to another database, and this second database to have the facility to be searched on......kind of archive database.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:but the users registering can use faked email addresses when ADMIN_ACTIVATION is enabled. Just let webmasters and administrators decide which way of regsitration they want to use! But one really very basic option still is missing: DOUBLE ACTIVATION.
You view this feature as required, I have no use for it. It's no better than admin activation -- most bots can confirm their accounts via user activation and it's a pain for both the user and the administrator to have to confirm accounts on anything other than a private board (which would have no use for both, anyway).
Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:And you are telling me phpBB3 is feature frozen then I was bug tracking and publishing the Prune Users Neven Been Active MOD. This is a bugfix.
A bug report is a request to fix a non-functioning portion of an implementation that is already present. This is not implemented, hence it is a feature request.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

First off, I'm thrilled because of this feature announcement...!!
It is really great that we are moving towards a release where no mods are going to be needed (OK, almost..)
A_O_C wrote:
ToonArmy wrote:No. It would need a very compelling to get something added to 3.0.6.
Like the ability to remove warnings via the ACP / MCP? ;)
I second this.. Banning system is great - time has come for the warning system to become really great, too... :D

P.S.: I will need a lot of mod uninstallation after 3.0.6 release... :lol:
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
rediguana

Post by rediguana »

I like it! Especially looking forward to having integrated feeds!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”