Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Re: Discuss: Blog post about phpBB 3.0.6 plans

Post by ToonArmy »

TrZ wrote:now I can't wait for v4. :lol: , wanna see all the new stuff they're going to put in.....and to see how the code is going to be rewritten.(And yes I know it's a long way off lol :ugeek: )
Hope you've got a comfy seat and a good book. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger »

There's nothing wrong with a Quick Reply on a serious board. On a science forum I contribute to, we also have a Quick Reply. Spammy posts aren't allowed there, but there was a demand for a Quick Reply. Just because it's easy.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

ToonArmy wrote:
TrZ wrote:now I can't wait for v4. :lol: , wanna see all the new stuff they're going to put in.....and to see how the code is going to be rewritten.(And yes I know it's a long way off lol :ugeek: )
Hope you've got a comfy seat and a good book. ;)
Oh, we know it will be good when you're the author. ;)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
ZeroT

Post by ZeroT »

I am just putting together a new board and I'm wondering if I should wait for x6 or get on with x5.

If I start now with x5 I will be adding a number of mods, portal and custom theme, am I going to have a nightmare upgrading from x5 -> x6 and be better of waiting for and starting with x6?

I know ETA's are not given out but with the relativly swift movement from RC1 -> 2 -> 3 could someone throw a ball park estimate to the final release being Nov, Dec or 2010 for example?

Thanks
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

I'd start with a board though should wait with modifying it until 3.0.6 is released. Due to the great amount of changes there is a big risk of conflicts when you heavily modify your board. Though with the improved updater any conflict should be manageable pretty easy.
ZeroT wrote:I know ETA's are not given out but with the relativly swift movement from RC1 -> 2 -> 3 could someone throw a ball park estimate to the final release being Nov, Dec or 2010 for example?
There is no way to say or even estimate it, it all depends on how things evolve. If the current RC3 is stable enough it could be released this month though if there are issues and more RCs are required it will take longer.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

ZeroT wrote:I am just putting together a new board and I'm wondering if I should wait for x6 or get on with x5.

If I start now with x5 I will be adding a number of mods, portal and custom theme, am I going to have a nightmare upgrading from x5 -> x6 and be better of waiting for and starting with x6?

I know ETA's are not given out but with the relativly swift movement from RC1 -> 2 -> 3 could someone throw a ball park estimate to the final release being Nov, Dec or 2010 for example?

Thanks
  • some comments in SVN hint that RC3 is probably the last one. as things seem now, the probability of RC4 for 3.0.6 look slim.
  • judging from the past, i would be very surprised if release will not happen in november (or maybe even in the 2.5 days left in october...)
  • in any event, i would not wait. the upgrade script has become really good, and the probability of unmanageable conflicts is slim to none
  • in your place, i would seriously consider installing RC3. in general it is not recommended to use an RC release in production environment, but the logic is different when you talk about a new forum: you do not have a working site, there is no data you might lose or corrupt, you do not yet have a community to piss off, and in general, all the reasoning *not* to use RC do not hold in the case of a new site. upgrade script from RC3 to final release is expected (specifically, Acyd have asked all the operators of international support sites to upgrade to each of the RC cycles - see the RC announcements).
peace.
standard disclaimer:
backup your db and files before you do anything.
absolutely no guarantee.
if you do what i advise and it blows in your face, all you'll hear from me is: "ah... sorry, i guess"
leviatan21
Name: Gabriel

Post by leviatan21 »

arod-1 wrote:
  • some comments in SVN hint that RC3 is probably the last one. as things seem now, the probability of RC4 for 3.0.6 look slim.
At this moment there are 12 fix in SVN, for me that's mean we will have a RC4 :D
Last edited by leviatan21 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Oh you people...stop speculating already. There was just a commit done that pretty much announces RC4. ;)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

DavidIQ wrote:Oh you people...stop speculating already. There was just a commit done that pretty much announces RC4. ;)
is this a request or an order?

a previous check-in stated that RC4 is unlikely ("Seems like we see no RC4...").
a later check-in corrected this forecast. ("I am very sorry... but the changes require (a hopefully very short) RC4 phase") nothing wrong with that.

ordering people to avoid speculation is plain stupid. it's human nature, and people need to asses probability of future events in order to plan their actions.

peace.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Ever watch sports analysis? That's almost purely speculation. Horse races? 2 hours 50 minutes of speculation, and 10 minutes of an actual horse race. Quite common. :D
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

arod-1 wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:Oh you people...stop speculating already. There was just a commit done that pretty much announces RC4. ;)
is this a request or an order?

a previous check-in stated that RC4 is unlikely ("Seems like we see no RC4...").
a later check-in corrected this forecast. ("I am very sorry... but the changes require (a hopefully very short) RC4 phase") nothing wrong with that.

ordering people to avoid speculation is plain stupid. it's human nature, and people need to asses probability of future events in order to plan their actions.

peace.
Neither. The smiley at the end should make it obvious that it's simply a tongue-in-cheek remark. David is well aware of the check-ins and was simply pointing out the new commit indicating that there will be an RC4. :)
Need help with MOD/style installations or other phpBB problems? Contact me for a quote.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

There goes my October 31st prediction.

Someone should have started a "pool". ;)
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
updown

Post by updown »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Someone should have started a "pool". ;)
We could do this on 3.0.7 or 3.1.0 - depends on what will be next... ;)

Hey, we could start a pool on that question, too... 8-)
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

prototech wrote: ......
Neither. The smiley at the end should make it obvious that it's simply a tongue-in-cheek remark. David is well aware of the check-ins and was simply pointing out the new commit indicating that there will be an RC4. :)
apologies...
i got annoyed by the smileys, and instead of using the user control panel to turn off "Display smilies as images" (sp?) i used AddBlock to block http://www.phpbb.com/community/images/smilies.
i did not take into account that by doing so i may miss these kind of subtleties - i completely missed the smiley at the end of David's message... (funny thing is that i missed it even though i quoted it - i usually read the "preview" more carefully than i read the textarea, so i missed it while quoting it...)
so again, i apologize for my acrimonious response, and i fixed the problem - hopefully i won't miss this kind of thing in the future...

peace.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

arod-1 wrote:apologies...
Hey no problem!

Code: Select all

:-)
See? Problem solved

Code: Select all

;-)
XD
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”