[EVENT] [Thu Jul 23 2009 | San Jose] OSCONvasion 2009

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

[EVENT] [Thu Jul 23 2009 | San Jose] OSCONvasion 2009

Post by webmacster87 »

This is the original OSCONvasion info post.
View our "post-game wrapup" here.

The 411
Who: phpBB Users in the San Francisco Bay Area (and whoever else wants to come)
What: A fun meetup coinciding with the O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON)
Where: San Jose, California, USA
When: Thursday, July 23, 2009
Why: Because we can, because we're going to, and because we're awesome!

Agenda in Brief:
10:00 AM-5:00 PM -- OSCON Expo Hall Hours
4:50-5:05 PM -- Meet in Convention Center Lobby, Exhibit Level
5:15-6:40 PM -- Group Dinner at Johnny Rockets Restaurant in Downtown San Jose
7:00-8:00 PM -- Group Roundtable Discussion Session (and Podcast Recording) in Convention Center Ballroom A7

OSCONvasion grew out of the desire of phpBB Weekly co-host Douglas Bell to have some kind of phpBB users meetup in the San Francisco Bay Area, following the success of Londonvasion 2008. Organizing a full-day users conference proved to be a bit too much, so instead we're organizing a meetup event around the OSCON 2009 conference happening in San Jose, as suggested by users on the phpBB.com Events and Meetings forum.

Part I: Group Dinner Meetup
We are going to meet between 4:50-5:05 PM in the Convention Center lobby area between Exhibit Hall 1 and Exhibit Hall 2 (this will be near the exit of the OSCON Expo Hall). At 5:05, we will walk to Johnny Rockets restaurant, located about three blocks away from the Convention Center; we'll get there around 5:15 or so and order off the menu. (Budget about $10-$15 for dinner.) It's not a super-fancy restaurant, but hey, we're programmers on a low budget, right? ;)

Part II: Group Roundtable Discussion Session at OSCON
Following the dinner, we will have a group roundtable discussion session at the Convention Center Ballroom A7. This part of the meetup is also an OSCON "Birds of a Feather" session open to any OSCON attendee with a free Expo Hall registration or better. This session will take place at 7:00 PM, in which we'll have an informal roundtable discussion about phpBB and our experiences with phpBB and building communities, joined by any OSCON attendees who are interested in learning more. Wifi will be provided by OSCON. This session will also be streamed live on phpBB Weekly via TalkShoe, and released in both audio and video formats. Even if you can't attend in person, join us live on TalkShoe to listen in and participate in the fun!

w00t! I Want to Go!
This isn't a formal conference or anything, so you don't actually have to register or anything. If you just show up, that's fine. But, it would be nice to have an idea of who to expect, so if you are planning to be there, let us know in this topic. OSCONvasion is also posted on Upcoming and Facebook. It's free to join us, unless you plan to eat something.
You do need to register for OSCON to attend our "Birds of a Feather" session at the Convention Center. An Expo Hall registration is free, whether you register online in advance or onsite, and you'll get to check out the awesome exhibitors, or attend their OSCamp sessions. Don't forget to add our session to your personal schedule!

Check out the main OSCONvasion page for the latest info, including directions to get yourself to San Jose.

Any other questions? Ask in this topic, or you may contact me directly via private message.
--Douglas Bell (Fountain of Apples)
OSCONvasion Organizer
Last edited by webmacster87 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 16 times in total.
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Re: [Wed or Thu Jul 22/23 2009 | San Jose] OSCONvasion 2009

Post by webmacster87 »

OSCONvasion was a great success! Thanks to everyone who came and helped make phpBB's first-ever presence at OSCON an exciting one. We hope that this sets a precedent both for future involvement at OSCON, as well as learning lessons and coming up with ideas for future phpBB meetups.

Thanks to the following who attended for the whole day on Thursday, July 23rd (from left to right in the photo):
  • David (Highway of Life) :: QA Team Member, Former MOD Team Member, and phpBB Weekly Co-Host
  • Douglas (Fountain of Apples) :: Former MOD Team Member, phpBB Weekly Co-Host, and OSCONvasion Organizer
  • Sam (SyntaxError90) and his friend Austin
  • Adam (AdamR) :: Support Team Member
  • Cullen (Brainy) :: Moderator Team Member (and his Bertie)
  • Nathan (EXreaction) :: MOD Team Member
  • Francis (Handyman`) :: QA Team Member, Former MOD Team Member

OSCONvasion Media
Audio: phpBB Weekly #115: Live from OSCONvasion 2009
Photos: Continually Posted on Flickr or View some individual photosets
Video: Watch on Blip.tv
OSCONvasion Wrap-Up and Thoughts

Credits
Thanks to Hank the Cowdog for making the great OSCONvasion logo, and thanks to EXreaction for the idea of an OSCON meetup.
Thanks to AdamR for doing the live and recorded video, for bringing lots of equipment, and for giving the PowerPoint presentation on Creating Communities with phpBB.
Thanks to Highway of Life for also bringing lots of equipment.
Thanks to O'Reilly for putting on such a great conference at OSCON (and for having so many things to attend for free!).
Thanks to everyone who came and made this such a great experience!
Last edited by webmacster87 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 22 times in total.
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Very unlikely that I wouldn't be able to make it.

I've got a nice dslr camera too. :)
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

95% chance I'll be there.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

I will most likely be there.

I may bring my computer as well... depends on how well I feel that morning. My computer has an Okay mic (integrated) and we can find a wifi spot to hook into. Does Johnny rockets have Wifi?
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Re: [Thu Jul 23 2009 | San Jose] OSCONvasion 2009

Post by webmacster87 »

Our phpBB "Birds of a Feather" session has been approved by OSCON! Yay!

As such, the meetup date has been finalized for Thursday, July 23rd (the date that OSCON assigned to us for the session). The first post and the OSCONvasion landing page have been updated accordingly with more info.

Time to start spreading the word...
Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

I will be bringing a camera that records on mini DV tapes (The good ones). All I need is a tripod.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

I can bring mine. :)
webmacster87
Former Team Member

OSCON A/V Equipment Rental Info

Post by webmacster87 »

I sent an e-mail to the company that OSCON has contracted with offering audio/visual equipment, since there was some discussion in IRC with some of the attendees regarding the possibility of renting some equipment.

They offer a "1 Hour BOF" package for $350, which is specifically for the "Birds of a Feather" sessions (like ours), and that package includes the following:
Johnny Good @ Good Company Communications wrote:you get use of projector, screen, interface, mixing board, PA, computer sound and microphones. (as well as a tech being on call to set you up and make sure your meeting is smooth)
Also, regarding the presence of internet...
The Same Guy wrote:the room will be covered with wireless internet AND you will have wired Ethernet at the head table where our AV will be. (assuming you rent the BOF package)
This sounds like a great deal, compared to the day-rental prices of this equipment standalone from the same company. Although personally, I can only make a low-budget investment in this, I'd say that this sounds like a great package. Just the microphones/sound/PA/mixing board will make this great to podcast the event (maybe even stream it live over TalkShoe), plus we'll have the projector since some people wanted the ability to do phpBB demos on the big screen. (***And yes, he also said that there will be a big screen in the room for us to project onto, even if we bring our own projector.)

That said, anyone want to be the representative to collect donations for this? The total cost for the package would be $350 + 9.25% sales tax = $382.38. I do not have a credit card at my disposal, because I don't have credit yet and my parents are being very frugal when it comes to their credit card, on account of the company recently unilaterally jacked up the rates for no apparent reason. If we were to do this, someone would need to volunteer to be the person willing to make the payment, fill out the audiovisual order form (with me listed as the onsite contact), and fax it in. Any benefactor want to volunteer? (I'd be willing to thank you by paying for your dinner at OSCONvasion!)

Regardless of whether we pull this off or not, this is sure to be an exciting event! :D
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

And I've just booked my flight and 6 nights at a hotel.

For those looking for deals through Orbitz, check for coupons. They have a deal for $100 off with 5+ nights at a hotel, which got me all the way down to $380 for flight + 6 nights. :mrgreen:
Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

EXreaction wrote:And I've just booked my flight and 6 nights at a hotel.

For those looking for deals through Orbitz, check for coupons. They have a deal for $100 off with 5+ nights at a hotel, which got me all the way down to $380 for flight + 6 nights. :mrgreen:
SPAM.

...woah, nice deal, shame I live just 2 hours away by car. :D
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

SyntaxError90 wrote:SPAM.
*ahem* http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1c
Chris SmithGitHub
Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam »

ToonArmy wrote:
SyntaxError90 wrote:SPAM.
*ahem* http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule1c
I know that rule by heart already :(

and EXreaction, Good luck renting a car, many places in CA don't allow renting cars until you are 23-25 years old.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

BART + taxi ;)

iWisdom offered to pick Brainy and myself up from the hotel on the one or two days of the expo that he'll be going since it is on the way.
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 »

EXreaction wrote:BART + taxi ;)
That's assuming that BART doesn't go on strike. Or if they do, that the strike doesn't last more than three weeks. Might be a good idea to have a Plan B if you're looking at BART...

In case any of you missed it, I do have exhaustive public transit tips to get you to OSCONvasion if you need them...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”