Admins viewing Private messages

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Admins viewing Private messages

Post by KevC »

Pony99CA wrote:Yes, but the point was that you could view PMs for a user without database access
Except that you said
Pony99CA wrote:Resetting the password will be more difficult. You would have to have database access
Yes it's easy to change someone elses password and log in as them but ultimately it's not much use to you.
Pony99CA wrote:By the way, why isn't there an option in Quick Tools to delete all PMs for a user? I assume deleting a user also deletes his PMs, but what if you just want to delete the PMs without resorting to SQL across two tables (phpbb_privmsgs and phpbb_privmsgs_to)?
Why would you need to delete someone else's PMs?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
TptMike
Name: Mike White

Post by TptMike »

I suppose some boards have a "no advertising in PMs" rule. delete the PM via phpMyAdmin or install a mod. That's the only way that rule could be enforced.
~They tell us not to look down all our life... and that's when you fall in the bathtub.
-Mike - phpBB Knowledge Base
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Just put that person in to a group with no PM ability.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
TptMike
Name: Mike White

Post by TptMike »

That would be a consequence to the rule breaking. Still, the phpMyAdmin or Mod would have to be used to find the incriminating evidence. I'm not speaking of what I would do on my personal board... this is just viewing this from outside of the box...

I would just cut off PM's till users got a certain amount of posts on my board.
~They tell us not to look down all our life... and that's when you fall in the bathtub.
-Mike - phpBB Knowledge Base
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Kevin Clark wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Yes, but the point was that you could view PMs for a user without database access
Except that you said
Pony99CA wrote:Resetting the password will be more difficult. You would have to have database access
I'm aware of what I said. I added that for completeness in case anybody wondered how you would restore the password. The main point was still that an admin could view a user's PMs without database access.
Kevin Clark wrote:Yes it's easy to change someone elses password and log in as them but ultimately it's not much use to you.
Who knows how much use it is? The original poster didn't say why they wanted to know whether it was possible to view others' PMs. Maybe I'm an admin of a stock trading forum where a user has a good record in the market, so I think looking at that user's PMs would give me an advantage.

I was just pointing out that it could be done (and without database access if the admin is willing to send an E-mail to the user whose PMs he checked; heck, the admin could just do nothing and let the user think he'd forgotten the password and force him to use the password reset feature). I'm not sure why you're being so dismissive of the point, especially as nobody had raised it here.
Kevin Clark wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:By the way, why isn't there an option in Quick Tools to delete all PMs for a user? I assume deleting a user also deletes his PMs, but what if you just want to delete the PMs without resorting to SQL across two tables (phpbb_privmsgs and phpbb_privmsgs_to)?
Why would you need to delete someone else's PMs?
Maybe somebody is cleaning up space used by inactive users. If somebody hasn't logged in for a few years, they probably don't need their PMs. You might not want to delete the user, but they could have a full PM box.

Or, as TptMike suggested, what if somebody was advertising? Yes, you could put them in a group with no PM ability, but that wouldn't delete all of the advertising PMs in the boxes.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
I've seen it all

Post by I've seen it all »

As surprising as it may seem, private messages are supposed to be private. If you really want to automate the snooping, write a script that queries the SQL database and returns a list of PMs, with the sender's and the recipient's names..
Mealybug

Post by Mealybug »

Won't the user receive an email saying someone has tried to change their password if you change it as admin to log into their account?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You do realise this topic is ten years old? Lot’s of stuff has changed since then you should start a fresh topic.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Mealybug wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:35 am Won't the user receive an email saying someone has tried to change their password if you change it as admin to log into their account?
Just change their email address at the same time.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”