Discuss: Best Captcha Plugin Competition

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Discuss: Best Captcha Plugin Competition

Post by igorw »

This is the discussion topic for the Best Captcha Plugin Competition announcement. Post any questions you may have in here.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
A_O_C

Re: Discuss: Best Captcha Plugin Competition

Post by A_O_C »

Not interested in the bertie (already have one), but I may be submitting the one I wrote just so it can be tagged as "approved" to the MODDB. Good luck to everyone else. :P

*EDIT*
eviL<3 wrote:We will be accepting submissions to the MODDB for one month after the date of this announcement.
Is someone hinting at something? ;) :lol:
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

i think it is an excellent idea. not necessarily the "captcha" part, i am talking about the team actively soliciting mods from the community, willing to grade them.

i have a couple of suggestions:
  1. (and maybe this one is already considered): include the winning mods in the "contrib" directory of the official release (there used to be one in 2.0, i suggest to resurrect it).
  2. announce a similar competition for wysiwyg editor, which seem to be very high on the wishlist of many users.
  3. maybe one month is just too short, if you want quality results.
    or maybe you can have several rounds of submission, with the one month being the "lightning round", and then a second round after 3 months or so? just a thought.

kudos.

peace.
standard disclaimer:
backup your db and files before you do anything.
absolutely no guarantee.
if you do what i advise and it blows in your face, all you'll hear from me is: "ah... sorry, i guess"
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

arod-1 wrote:i think it is an excellent idea. not necessarily the "captcha" part, i am talking about the team actively soliciting mods from the community, willing to grade them.
The whole intention is to help generate a wide selection of captcha plugins ready for the release of 3.0.6. Including them within the release would defeat the point of increasing resistance to spam by diversifying the protection measures used by phpBB boards.
Chris SmithGitHub
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

I might have a go at it, I haven't exactly written one before, but I may as well.
I do have a few ideas to start off with already as well. :)
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

arod-1 wrote:i think it is an excellent idea. not necessarily the "captcha" part, i am talking about the team actively soliciting mods from the community, willing to grade them.

i have a couple of suggestions:
  1. (and maybe this one is already considered): include the winning mods in the "contrib" directory of the official release (there used to be one in 2.0, i suggest to resurrect it).
  2. announce a similar competition for wysiwyg editor, which seem to be very high on the wishlist of many users.
  3. maybe one month is just too short, if you want quality results.
    or maybe you can have several rounds of submission, with the one month being the "lightning round", and then a second round after 3 months or so? just a thought.

kudos.

peace.
Well, good ideas.

Future MOD competitions and coding projects will depend on the outcome of this one, so we will see. The contrib directory is something for which I do not see the need - the point of the new plugins is that they are editless and hence easy to install regardless of their location. Contrib just makes it harder for MOD authors to keep them updated.
There is already a selection of plugins in the SVN that can be used by authors as example; we'll ship
  • classic no-gd
  • classic GD
  • 3D Wave (possibly)
  • reCaptcha
  • Q&A
of course we can't accept plugins that implement a subset of the features already present, while a variation might be possible.

The deadline is short and gives an advantage to the MOD authors of existing captcha MODs, but that is not entirely unintended. It is also intended as a stress test for the API. I think, we'll work something out, if there are many people who say that they have something but can't make the deadline.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
Egypt Write

Post by Egypt Write »

First, I think its great idea to put developer/users in the action, to feel like they are really a part of phpbb team, that encourage them more to contribute and make great development for the benefit of the software or open sourse application. ( like FireFox success story )
Second, from this view, I totally agree about this:
arod-1 wrote: [*]announce a similar competition for wysiwyg editor, which seem to be very high on the wishlist of many users.
+ 100000000000000! :) ( or maybe more cause its the number of forums users who need it, not webmasters )

finally, wish you all the best.
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

ToonArmy wrote:
The whole intention is to help generate a wide selection of captcha plugins ready for the release of 3.0.6. Including them within the release would defeat the point of increasing resistance to spam by diversifying the protection measures used by phpBB boards.
i do not see it.
if the point is pure diversification, then holding a competition seems counter-productive, because the one winning first place is bound to become more popular....

i thought that the idea was to promote quality, not necessarily quantity, and if this is successful, then why not add the winning ones to the contrib directory?

and again, i am less excited about the captcha, and more about the perceived shift in phpbb group attitude towards even greater openness and community cooperation than exists today (not that i'm complaining, i just think more is the right direction to go).

peace.
standard disclaimer:
backup your db and files before you do anything.
absolutely no guarantee.
if you do what i advise and it blows in your face, all you'll hear from me is: "ah... sorry, i guess"
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

Egypt Write wrote:
arod-1 wrote: [*]announce a similar competition for wysiwyg editor, which seem to be very high on the wishlist of many users.
+ 100000000000000! :) ( or maybe more cause its the number of forums users who need it, not webmasters )
:roll:

We've been through this before. Just because you want it doesn't mean everybody else wants it. I find WYSIWYG editors a pain (as do others on this board). If you want it that bad, code one yourself or install a MOD. Besides, this topic is for CAPTCHA plugins, not what you want to see in phpBB. :evil:
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

Diversification is definitely not the only reason for this competition, but it is a very important one. In order to combat spam we need more captchas. For this reason there is a new captcha system in 3.0.6. We are encouraging MOD authors to contribute, so that everyone can benefit from a broader selection of high-quality captchas. At the same time we are giving something back to those who help making this world a better place.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
damsprivate

Post by damsprivate »

when will we vote ? here ?
binus university 2009 .
"did u know that 17 august ( when i join this forum ) is at Indonesia independence day ? "
igorw
Former Team Member

Post by igorw »

A poll will be posted and linked from the announcement.
SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` »

A_O_C wrote:Not interested in the bertie (already have one), but I may be submitting the one I wrote just so it can be tagged as "approved" to the MODDB. Good luck to everyone else. :P

*EDIT*
eviL<3 wrote:We will be accepting submissions to the MODDB for one month after the date of this announcement.
Is someone hinting at something? ;) :lol:
As I'm Bertie master and thus the one responsible for sending out the prizes... how can you say no to a free Bertie? One to keep pristine without paw marks or to gift to a friend/relative? If the latter I can send to the benefactor address... should you win of course! ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Hey, if you don't want the Bertie and you win, you could always redirect it my way. :D :P
Silentflesh

Post by Silentflesh »

This sounds like a fun competition

Return to “phpBB Discussion”