MySQL and Depriciated Code

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Dog Cow

Re: MySQL and Depriciated Code

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm

drathbun wrote:In my opinion, the bottom line is that only standards purists really care.
But it makes upgrading easier.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:01 pm

In what sense? It is unlikely that any database provider will remove this support in the future, however they label it; it's part of the SQL standard.
Roberdin

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:33 pm

When I upgraded my site to use MySQL 5, I had to change some queries to include parentheses around tables in the FROM clause. If I had done this from the start, then when I upgraded to MySQL 5, I would not have had to make those changes. The same goes for not using deprecated functions in PHP and sticking to standard conventions-- it makes the upgrade to PHP 6 much easier.
Moof!

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Dog Cow wrote:When I upgraded my site to use MySQL 5, I had to change some queries to include parentheses around tables in the FROM clause. If I had done this from the start, then when I upgraded to MySQL 5, I would not have had to make those changes. The same goes for not using deprecated functions in PHP and sticking to standard conventions-- it makes the upgrade to PHP 6 much easier.
Having parentheses around the tables in the FROM clause causes errors in some cases. IIRC it was MSSQL that gave us problems with that.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 pm

EXreaction wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:When I upgraded my site to use MySQL 5, I had to change some queries to include parentheses around tables in the FROM clause. If I had done this from the start, then when I upgraded to MySQL 5, I would not have had to make those changes. The same goes for not using deprecated functions in PHP and sticking to standard conventions-- it makes the upgrade to PHP 6 much easier.
Having parentheses around the tables in the FROM clause causes errors in some cases. IIRC it was MSSQL that gave us problems with that.
Well, I don't know what those cases are. :? All I know is that I needed parentheses.
Moof!

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:05 pm

What if another database layer can't handle that? Not everyone uses MySQL.
Roberdin

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Dog Cow wrote:
EXreaction wrote:
Well, I don't know what those cases are. :? All I know is that I needed parentheses.
What did you need to use the parentheses for? I can't think of a reason you'd need them. :?

Either way, I don't see this changing until phpBB4 with the new DBAL they have planned as too many things could become broken.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:48 pm

EXreaction wrote: What did you need to use the parentheses for? I can't think of a reason you'd need them. :?
So my queries would work in MySQL 5. Here, enlighten yourself as I had to a few months ago. :geek:
Moof!

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 am

Dog Cow wrote:
EXreaction wrote: What did you need to use the parentheses for? I can't think of a reason you'd need them. :?
So my queries would work in MySQL 5. Here, enlighten yourself as I had to a few months ago. :geek:
And that's why phpBB3's query builder will add the required parenthesis for joins. The simple, join-less, comma syntax is the same for all supported systems. For anything involving JOINs, the query builder has to be used.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:47 am

Dog Cow wrote:
EXreaction wrote:
I explained it in this topic. ;) And phpBB3 is able to cope with the differences between all DBMS regarding special syntax requirements...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”